Home button - a thing of the past?

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
They already got rid of the physical button on the 7 series :)
Maybe that was Apple's transition strategy all along. Get us from pressing a home button, to just tapping a home button and then have a virtual home button. Sneaky sneaky :)

I still think there is an outside chance we will still see a home button in the new iPhone 7s and only on the 'iPhone Edition 5.8 inch" version will it be all screen.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Huge fan of the rear "center" placed FPS. Not a huge fan at all of the FPS on the S8 series. During my trial run I just kept touching the dang camera and ended up using the other methods of unlocking my phone.

LuxuryTouringZone

Trusted Member
Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
It's an indent with a Taptic feedback like the  watch. There's no mechanical button there at all. In the next phone I'd be surprised if there was no indent at all.

I'm aware of that, but the fact remains that there's still no virtual on-screen keys to gobble up the screen estate. On-screen buttons aren't the end of the world for me, but I'd much rather have any sort of navigation tool remain off of the screen.

BoneCollecter

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
I think on the bezel less iPhone 8 there won't be any physical button. The touch id will be highly likely integrated into the display. Home button will be thing on past on iPhones sooner.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I’ve got no problem with a home “button” going the way of the headphone jack. Or moving the current not-button to the rear like the Nexus 6P had. I loved that placement. (Turns and walks away)

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I’ve got no problem with a home “button” going the way of the headphone jack. Or moving the current not-button to the rear like the Nexus 6P had. I loved that placement. (Turns and walks away)
I can’t even believe I’m friends with you
Oh now you've done it....

I know @Tartarus is gonna get me now
You betcha.

No, the home button at the back is totally impractical. Mounted iPhones at car vents and such will be totally inoperable for the by rider. Imagine you have to check something on your phone that serves as navigation and you have to take it of the cradle to unlock it all the time. Teh horror.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't really see a problem with losing the home button as a separate physical thing but I think it's location should stay as it is, imagine how often you are going to interrupt whatever task you're performing as you change grip, if it was on the back.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
They can keep the "button" on the front with an onscreen button, but I would have no problem with the Touch ID on the back of the phone. To get around the issue that was mentioned above they could use a feature like Google Smart Lock, where if it is connected to a designated bluetooth device it remains unlocked.

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Pssst.... I agree with you :-x.

/runs

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I still dock my phone to the air vent in my dads car and while at a traffic stop or something I unlock it to check something real quick. (Without endangering myself nor anybody). A button on the back will make this impossible. There are too many cons and fewer pros in my opinion.

This is why trusted devices is such as awesome feature. If you're connected to a trusted bluetooth device such as your Apple Watch or car bluetooth, this wouldn't be an issue because your phone would automatically be unlocked so long as it's within the range of these items.

The rear finger print sensor does take some getting used to and I absolutely would prefer it on the front. But it wouldn't be a huge inconvenience if placed on the back as long as Apple offers some of the convenient features of the competition.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Airwaysoffices