Can Apple afford to maintain same design for another generation?

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I was reading some rumours about new iPhones, and it seems to be unanimous the idea of Apple announcing three models this year: iPhone 7S and 7S Plus and another one, special for 10th anniversary and much more expensive.

These same rumours state that of this three, only the special model would bring a completely new design with a lot of welcome new features, representing the much anticipated revolution on iPhone camp. At same time, the 7S and 7S Plus models would bring the same design released back in 2014 with iPhone 6, and only some minor improvements.

Obviously that's just rumours, vapour, nothing concrete here. But I really don't think Apple can afford to maintain the very same design for another year in any new models. Samsung is leading this specific race for almost three years now (since Galaxy S6 Edge) and the Galaxy S8 seems to make perfect a concept very well developed in this time. Compare a shiny new S8 with iPhone 7 seems to be very embarrassing for Apple on this point. I think a major revamp is needed, not only in its main model, but across all the line - except SE, of course. The iPhone 6-6S-7 design feels so desperately old now (personally I still think the best iPhone design was the 4-4S one, much more modern and, even, beautiful) that I think it need to be abandoned in all new models.

What do you think? Are you satisfied with latest iPhone models in terms of pure design? Do you believe Apple can afford to complete full 4 generations with same concept? Leave us your thoughts about it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I love the current design but I'm also a guy who likes to change things up (i.e. smaller bezel). That being said, Apple has done very well keeping the same design and switching up feature sets. They can really afford to do whatever they want at this point.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Apple has never been one to chase design trends. They evolve their designs over time, while maintaining the overall design language that makes all things Apple, unmistakably Apple. An iPhone looks like an iPhone, whether it is a 3GS or 7 Plus, it is unmistakably an iPhone. A 2009 MacBook looks like a new MacBook. 2007 iPod Touch, looks like a new iPod Touch. iPad? Don't get me wrong, they're not identical over the years... but they are just mild to moderate refinements of the same basic design. And that is a good thing. It builds brand recognition.

I am perfectly content with the overall design of the current iPhone. The only things I think Apple could benefit from, is reduced bezel size around the screen. Either to reduce the overall size of the phone while maintaining screen size, or maintaining the overall size of the phone while increasing screen size.

As for the Galaxy S8, it doesn't do anything for me. I don't like the fingerprint sensor being off center to the side of the camera. At least LG, Pixel, ZTE, Huawei, and many more keep the sensor centered for easy right or left handed use. I don't really care for the awkward cinema super widescreen aspect ratio display. And I'm not at all interested in Samsung's own "me too" versions of software that Google already has. Same carryover camera (probably repurposed Note 7 units) same smallish battery given the processor and display it is going to power. It's good looking phone, has great specs on paper, and will be one of the top Android handsets of the year, but it doesn't personally excite me much. The Moto Z series of last year was more compelling in terms of design and features.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Apple has never been one to chase design trends. They evolve their designs over time, while maintaining the overall design language that makes all things Apple, unmistakably Apple. An iPhone looks like an iPhone, whether it is a 3GS or 7 Plus, it is unmistakably an iPhone. A 2009 MacBook looks like a new MacBook. 2007 iPod Touch, looks like a new iPod Touch. iPad? Don't get me wrong, they're not identical over the years... but they are just mild to moderate refinements of the same basic design. And that is a good thing. It builds brand recognition.
Exactly! It's like when Ford deviated the Mustang away from the basic original design in the late 70s and early 80s. Mustang lovers hated it. They eventually went back to making the Mustang look like a Mustang.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To the OP, it depends on a person's design expectations. Personally, I don't have a problem with the current candy bar design. Would I like to see an edge to edge viewable display? Of course, I would. Would I like to see a curved design? Not really. I want the iPhone to remain distinctive and having its own identity, but that's Just Me, D...

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Exactly! It's like when Ford deviated the Mustang away from the basic original design in the late 70s and early 80s. Mustang lovers hated it. They eventually went back to making the Mustang look like a Mustang.

Totally. I'd also say a bit like the Porsche 911. The basic design hasn't really changed in 50 years. It's just been refined and perfected.

IMG_5678.JPG

Bushkesh

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
For alot of people, internal upgrades through iPhone 7 wasn't compelling enough reason for an upgrade. Apple needs to come up with a drastic change including cosmetically.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
If my choices are to go elsewhere because the design is the same, losing out on all that I love about my iPhone, or to keep everything I love about Apple and stay with the same design, I'd keep the same design so that I can keep everything I love.
The design is secondary. What the device does is paramount.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Well I particularly consider design a so much important part of the whole package. I still remember first time I see iPhone 4 with that astonishing design, I felt in love immediately. Yes internal upgrades are important as well, but buy a new gadget which is almost identical to old one really isn't that cool.

For me independent of new design or not I will continue to buy new iPhones, simply because I really hate Android. But decide between buy every year or every two or three is very much up to design, IMHO.

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site

I am perfectly content with the overall design of the current iPhone. The only things I think Apple could benefit from, is reduced bezel size around the screen. Either to reduce the overall size of the phone while maintaining screen size, or maintaining the overall size of the phone while increasing screen size.

As for the Galaxy S8, it doesn't do anything for me. I don't like the fingerprint sensor being off center to the side of the camera. At least LG, Pixel, ZTE, Huawei, and many more keep the sensor centered for easy right or left handed use. I don't really care for the awkward cinema super widescreen aspect ratio display. And I'm not at all interested in Samsung's own "me too" versions of software that Google already has. Same carryover camera (probably repurposed Note 7 units) same smallish battery given the processor and display it is going to power. It's good looking phone, has great specs on paper, and will be one of the top Android handsets of the year, but it doesn't personally excite me much. The Moto Z series of last year was more compelling in terms of design and features.

Very well said. I also really don't care for Samsung's software. Just either stick with top notch design and manufacturing. Note 7 notwithstanding. Or design an OS that differentiates itself from Android and works buttery smooth with the hardware. Apple is by far ahead of everyone when it comes to smooth integration of software and hardware. Though Google is getting there.

I would like to see smaller bezels on the iPhone. Plus an AMOLED display. Fast charging would also be a plus. So I would like to see a design change. I think that Apple has the wherewithal to achieve this and still keep the phone recognizable as something that cannot be seen as nothing but the iPhone...

Posted via the iMore App for Android

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I honestly believe they need a new design but if they stick with the same formula they will still sell millions of iPhones

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
7s and 7s Plus with minor Spec Upgrades and Camera options. Possibly colors. I personally think a White Front Bezel with a Matte or Ceramic White would be nice. A 3rd Anniversary device in the $1099 range with OLED Curved, etc will be rolled a month or two later. Just my opinion.

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Phones are expensive now a days. People aren't upgrading because older phones all work perfect. I'm on a 6 still. Works flawlessly. Why would I pay 800-1000 for a new phone that dies basically the same thing. I think price is a major factor in how people upgrade

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Phones are expensive now a days. People aren't upgrading because older phones all work perfect. I'm on a 6 still. Works flawlessly. Why would I pay 800-1000 for a new phone that dies basically the same thing. I think price is a major factor in how people upgrade
Yeah, for me and you at least. Lots of people go running to get the latest and greatest.

Cheers

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, for me and you at least. Lots of people go running to get the latest and greatest.

Cheers

I agree with you, because that I think manufacturers (all of them) needs to innovate in all possible ways, design included, of course. Phones are expensive, I hate Android, if  maintain exactly the same design for another year... Why should I upgrade? For me performance is absolutely central, sure, but with the level achieved by iPhone 7/7 Plus (no simply other phone in the world beat them right now) I think it is time to think differently, and invest a little bit more on design front, now, in order to return to lead in this specific race. Because today, in my opinion, there's no possible dispute between Samsung and  on this front.

I understand the identity argument as well. An iPhone should ever looks like an iPhone. But I really think there's a lot of ways to do this, innovating as well. Capacitive Home button, for example, was a brilliant and elegant solution, in my opinion. But I think it should come with a more profound revamp in other design aspects. The identity is preserved very well with Home button, why not rip off bezels while maintaining it?

Really anxious for a complete revolution in this front with iPhone's new generation.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR