Can Apple afford to maintain same design for another generation?

madeinhb

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Exactly right for me. If my current phone works - no need to upgrade. An upgraded camera will not do it for me. Personally I would love the ringer/silent toggle gone. Make that a button next to airplane mode. Have it most customizable. Not wide open like Android but more can be done.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I honestly believe they need a new design but if they stick with the same formula they will still sell millions of iPhones

Yup completely agree. Apple prides itself on design elegance. The iPhone is their flagship product hands down. It's time to move on from the same ole design that's been used for the last 3-4 years.

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Would like to see numbers when available on the new SE with more storage and the RED iPhones. Would like to see how many SE owners "upgraded" to newer SE's for more GB and how many iPhone 7/7 Plus owners bought the RED knowing a new device is months away. Those are the type of numbers indicative of iPhone owners willing to just buy new when because it's new either for need or want...

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
@vimagreg, i think if Apple had another very minor design change there would probably be a lot of complaining from certain people. Its not that the current design is bad. Its just that when you you buy something NEW you want it to be 'better' and if it looks exactly the same. Then it doesn't feel new. Just a new old phone. I think Apple would still get 1 Trillion sales even with the same design again but i do hope we get some new designs this year. :)

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm absolutely fine with the current design of iPhones. I hope they don't come out with a edge to edge screen.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm more concerned with what my phone does than how it looks. I'd be happy with a new design but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if it didn't happen. I do hope the next phone offers a compelling reason to purchase whether it be design or features.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm more concerned with what my phone does than how it looks. I'd be happy with a new design but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if it didn't happen. I do hope the next phone offers a compelling reason to purchase whether it be design or features.
But with a new design usually comes new features, right?

anon(10004440)

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I'm absolutely fine with the current design of iPhones. I hope they don't come out with a edge to edge screen.

I would have to agree. I'm not a big fan of edge to edge design. I see the bezel edge as a good finger rest and spot for case edges. I get regularly annoyed at having to swipe at the screen edge multiple times now to get slide gestures to work with having bezels. I can't imagine trying to do it without them.

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site

You may be in luck if Apple decides to release multiple versions of their next device. I for one would welcome edge to edge.

I'd expect Apple would fetch a premium price on an edge device, possibly adding unique features helping to justify cost. Either way I'm all in should that come to fruition.

The same won't be said if they stick with the current design.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
You may be in luck if Apple decides to release multiple versions of their next device. I for one would welcome edge to edge.

I'd expect Apple would fetch a premium price on an edge device, possibly adding unique features helping to justify cost. Either way I'm all in should that come to fruition.

The same won't be said if they stick with the current design.
My thoughts exactly.
Cheers

nucks26

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
They can certainly survive. People are still going to buy the iPhone. However, they need a refreshing design soon. They can't be totally naive thinking they will continue to sell as the most popular smartphone manufacturer. (I'm looking at you BlackBerry). BlackBerry once thought they were invincible and they were very rapidly dethroned. I don't see this happening to apple because smartphone technology isn't moving quite as quick as it did when the first iPhone launched, but I think being naive can be their enemy. I'd like to see a refreshed design for sure.

flyingkytez

May 2, 2017
Visit site
Yes they can afford it because their fan base is large enough to keep the same design for another 2 years. Look at the iPhone SE. Pretty old design but still sells. People just love the OS and how "clean and simple" it is, and that's all they care about. I have friends that still are hanging on to their iPhone 5 because they love that size and don't want a darn thing to change, refusing to ever upgrade. But you're right, Samsung has drastically improved so much in so many areas, I could understand why Apple is now teaming up with Samsung to help develop their new AMOLED display for the anniversary edition iPhone. I think that's the only thing that will make the iPhone exciting again, otherwise it's the same old usual, maybe a new color option.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple can get away with it because buyers don't care as much so long as its Apple and they get some type of bump in the hardware. Plus a lot of buyers will happily buy last years model for less $$$ and not be concerned. Each year buyers are replacing their phone and it could be a buyer from 1-3 generations ago with a different design so they don't care as much. If they do push the envelop on the S series with the same phone design, and people buy it then ok, they buy it. But if those same buyers trash other phone OEM's for not offering enough a design update then I will call foul on that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2