With the release of the Samsung S8 and S8+ (sure I've heard that naming convention somewhere before) what will Apple need to do to push the bar higher.

I think the S8 is a very, very good device and will take some beating!

No doubt most on this forum will say that they won't be getting it and will stick with Apple.... that's not what this post is about.

I want to know what you all think Apple need to do to yet again make a device that raises the bar or changes the game?

I think if they can master embedded finger print sensors they'll do it.
    03-30-2017 09:20 AM
    There are several things I'd like to see like much smaller bezels. But, I don't think Apple needs to do anything groundbreaking to be able to compete with the S8! I feel like the majority of the iPhone customer base will flock to the new iPhone because it's the new iPhone. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

Add some new awesome features that have previously not been offered in an iPhone and you're looking at record sales yet again!
    03-30-2017 10:08 AM
    There are several things I'd like to see like much smaller bezels. But, I don't think Apple needs to do anything groundbreaking to be able to compete with the S8! I feel like the majority of the iPhone customer base will flock to the new iPhone because it's the new iPhone. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

Add some new awesome features that have previously not been offered in an iPhone and you're looking at record sales yet again!
    Amen to that.
    I know I'll buy the 10th anniversary iPhone in a heartbeat.
    mumfoau, larsonage and Aubbre4 like this.
    03-30-2017 03:35 PM
    I for one will be getting the s8 (that is just because I am an ***** that likes shiny stuff) . I cant speak for everyone but for me there are a few things I need to the on the next iPhone .

Fast charging
    Improved screen
    Improved design
    I mean the S8 has a freaking 5.8 inch screen in basically the size of the 4.7 iphone 7 (while retaining the headphone jack)
    03-30-2017 07:05 PM
    I think finally increasing the screen resolution and possibly switching to AMOLED... improving the camera and possibly deploying a dual lense camera with OIS on the smaller model phone as well, not just the Plus... reducing the size of bezels around the screen, and maybe wireless charging? Those, along with the next gen A11 chip with increased performance, and the new iPhone will be killer.

And yes, I'm aware most of those features already exist in Android devices. That doesn't mean they should never be implemented by Apple.
    Googlyspockuser likes this.
    03-30-2017 11:30 PM
    Both the iPhone and S8 would be awesome devices..For me it would boil down to price. If there isn't too much of a difference, it will be an iPhone...
    03-31-2017 03:32 AM
    I want Always On Display personally. I dont want to have to touch or interact with my phone to see when I've got notifications or want to quickly check the time. Samsung copied it from Nokia/Microsoft and managed to make it look awesome and I think Apple should do the same when they introduce Amoled screens. Fast/Wireless charging is a must now too I think. I do hope they keep the physical Home button too before people start saying they want an on screen button
    03-31-2017 06:04 AM
    I personally don't think they need to do anything to compete with android phones. Apple has its own platform that has more than proven itself to work. Apple devices in my opinion are a better build quality than other marketed phones. The thing I'd like to see Apple do is be a little more reasonable with their price.
    mumfoau and Jude526 like this.
    03-31-2017 01:36 PM
    I personally don't think they need to do anything to compete with android phones. Apple has its own platform that has more than proven itself to work. Apple devices in my opinion are a better build quality than other marketed phones. The thing I'd like to see Apple do is be a little more reasonable with their price.
    Oh man...reasonably priced iPhones would just be...
    03-31-2017 02:47 PM
    If only iMessage was on android. To valuable for me to leave it. 90% of the people I talk to use it.
    Adawg1203 and zinedine like this.
    03-31-2017 03:51 PM
    I don't think iMessage will ever make it Android.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    03-31-2017 05:52 PM
    a little about me. I happily use an iphone 6. I'm not wedded to apple either. I use an air with both osx and windows in parrellels (though i only use windows for a few programs).

I want to know what you all think Apple need to do to yet again make a device that changes the game?
    Personally, I don't know if the game can be changed. I think by and large we've seen what phones can do. I don't think there is a ton more new for it to do. Like laptops.

I want to know what you all think Apple need to do to yet again make a device that raises the bar?
    As for raising the bar. I'd say beat the S8 spec wise in every way. Faster processor, better camera, better stabilazation, better price, edge to edge screen, better fingerprint placement, headphone jack, better battery life.

But it won't. It won't have a headphone jack. I'll be surprised if he camera is enough of an improvement for people that otherwise would have bought an S8 to go with an iPhone.

on a related point. I think there are several software related things that they could do but seem to just not want to do that could dramatically improve the user experience and be big selling points. One, fix itunes so it's not a bloated, often illogical app. It lacks folder monitoring something in winamp in 2000. it tells you cryptic messages like "doing x will delete all your files." It's generally a bad piece of software now that's just a apple music delivery system but used to be a decent phone manager and music library manager. Maybe multiple user accounts and stuff.

There's many ios things that make little sense to me. The camera app lacks features. Why do i have to leave the app and go into settings to change it to 4k recording? Or change the FPS? I'd go look at the features of the best podcast apps like downcast, all the customizability and i'd steal all of it. The custom skips, the detailed icloud settings, the power users interface that's about usability not eyecandy. How about expand imessage across all platforms. Open up air play and siri? Yeah those things won't happen. The things it needs to do I simply don't think Apple is interested in doing.

And just generally, as someone happily using a iphone 6, i can say there is next to nothing being added to phones that makes me feel like i need buy a new phone. the camera on the S8 i'd love cause i take pictures with my phone but short of putting a camera it that has the features of say a sony a6000 what they have is good enough for casual shooting.
    03-31-2017 09:42 PM
    If only iMessage was on android. To valuable for me to leave it. 90% of the people I talk to use it.
    May I ask do you live outside of the U.S.? I live in the U.S., imessage is turned on I don't know anybody that doesn't have unlimited text so i've never ever had anyone even ask me what messaging i'm using. I type a name and hit send. whether it's sms or imessage i don't pay attention to. And maybe in other places I'm thinking they plans don't come with unlimited texting or your texting out of your country and maybe imessage is a free way to do that?
    03-31-2017 09:45 PM
    I think it's comparing Apples and oranges, Samsung and Apple are doing different things so who likes those different things should select the phone that suits best and that's it.

I like a lot of things Samsung has in it new device, but Samsung for me is a brand for someone who can change phone each year and I'm not one of those.
    Jude526 likes this.
    03-31-2017 11:28 PM
    I had Android and Samsung for years. Then the issue with the Note 7 and keeping in the Note series I got the Note 5. Ended up not liking and the battery life was horrible after the update. What bugs me the most about Android are the updates and how each one would just make the battery life horrible. You have to do a factory reset to make the phone perform better after an update. How is this good? I am so tired of doing this and doing that and oh. How about trying this? Enough. I am pleased with Apple and it just works. I had a network issue..believe it to be network and am still having it checked out. But am not regretting changing to Apple.
    04-01-2017 02:04 AM
    Some really interesting thoughts here.

I disagree that Apple with the idea that Apple with automatically have the best 2017/18 device just because they are Apple.
    If they just release the 7S with internal changes compared to the S8 which is worlds apart from the S6 and 7 Apple will lose those who are on the fence.

Most here will be Apple fans and rooted in the eco systems with more than just an iPhone but imo Apple doesn't need to worry about us. It's those who just have a phone and aren't rooted so can easily switch to Android.

My partner for example currently has the S6 and says if the new iPhone doesn't have fast charging she's getting the S8 despite the fact our house is geared up for iOS with Apple TVs, iPads and Macs.

One feature could be the difference between attracting those on the fence or not
    04-01-2017 03:53 AM
    I for one will be getting the s8 (that is just because I am an ***** that likes shiny stuff) . I cant speak for everyone but for me there are a few things I need to the on the next iPhone .

Fast charging
    Improved screen
    Improved design
    I mean the S8 has a freaking 5.8 inch screen in basically the size of the 4.7 iphone 7 (while retaining the headphone jack)
    I agree with everything you said. And those bezels have to go!

Cheers
    Adawg1203 likes this.
    04-01-2017 04:58 AM
    It would be nice but in the UK most people have unlimited texts even on basic plans.
    However, sending video and pics is expensive
    04-01-2017 05:00 AM
    May I ask do you live outside of the U.S.? I live in the U.S., imessage is turned on I don't know anybody that doesn't have unlimited text so i've never ever had anyone even ask me what messaging i'm using. I type a name and hit send. whether it's sms or imessage i don't pay attention to. And maybe in other places I'm thinking they plans don't come with unlimited texting or your texting out of your country and maybe imessage is a free way to do that?
    No, I happily live in the US. SMS/mms is fine expect when you want to send pics/videos. Then it becomes atrocious. Also, with iOS 10 and all the new benefits and attractions of iMessage it made it even more invaluable to leave.
    04-01-2017 09:03 AM
    It would be nice but in the UK most people have unlimited texts even on basic plans.
    However, sending video and pics is expensive
    I as well have unlimited text in the US. However, SMS/MMS isn't the best. iMessage rules in those areas, along with all the nice additions to it in iOS 10.
    04-01-2017 09:04 AM
    I agree with everything you said. And those bezels have to go!

Cheers
    Yeah I kinda implied that in improved screen and design. Samsung may have gone a bit overboard. While 18 by 9 screens are smaller than their 16 by 9 counterparts, a full in increase in the diagonal screen might be too much. If they can get oh I dunno let's say the 7 plus screen in a 7's body then I would be satisfied
    04-01-2017 11:14 AM
    No, I happily live in the US. SMS/mms is fine expect when you want to send pics/videos. Then it becomes atrocious. Also, with iOS 10 and all the new benefits and attractions of iMessage it made it even more invaluable to leave.
    I see. Do you keep a mental note of what phones all your contacts have because I pretty much only know the type of phone of 4 people, 2 parents and my best friend? Plus only one, my mom, is an iphone. All the others i've no idea of phone type and because of that i just enter their name and hit send with trying to pick a messaging system according to their phone.

What are the "benefits of ios 10?" Can you send better video? I have ios 10 and tried to send a 2 minute video filmed on my iphone and couldn't the other day. But the person i was sending it two was my best friend on an android phone so imessage wasn't even an option. Which again illustrates my indifference to it.
    04-02-2017 05:19 PM
    Most here will be Apple fans and rooted in the eco systems with more than just an iPhone but imo Apple doesn't need to worry about us. It's those who just have a phone and aren't rooted so can easily switch to Android.

One feature could be the difference between attracting those on the fence or not
    That's totally me. I have an iphone 6. Not a 6+ or a 7. I don't need a to buy the latest apple thing. Before that i had a 4s so i've stayed with apple for two phones. But i'm not religious about Apple. I only have a macbook air just bought last summer. I like it but I have no interest in the macbook. After about 18 years of PC (before that all macs fyi). I don't buy media from itunes. I don't need apple music. I don't pay for icloud storage. I have a fire tv and a roku.

When i was deciding to get my iphone 6 i actually listed every app on my 4s to see if there was an android equivalent. The only missing app was Downcast the podcast app. And i'm sure there's a comparable podcast app on android not to mention, Downcast seems to have been abandoned by the author without an update in like 7 months and the app with lots of problems. But i digress. Point I'm the sort or person that uses an iphone but could easily leave as i'm not stuck in the apple ecosystem in any way. I've only ever bought 3 apps. One of which is Cesium (Cesium Music Player) bought specifically because I hate what Apple did to the music app. That's quite telling. The only app i bought is because i had a problem with the direction Apple has gone.

I still use my headphone jack. You mention "one feature could be the difference." That could be it. I mean i use my phone as my only stereo in my car by way of an auxiliary input. No bluetooth. I'm not buying a new car in the next 5 years. So no headphone jack is a big annoyance. I also have other headphones that i still use like larger cans that are wired. I'd rather have both a jack and bluetooth.

Cost is an issue too with carriers not subsidizing phones. As someone that doesn't change phones often the subsidy matter since i never changed phones. if an iphone comes out at $800+ and some android phone does what i need at say $400 truth is it's almost a no brainer for me. That's why Google going all uber expensive with the Pixel now sucks. The nexus was a cheap option I'd have entirely gone for. Now it might be a wash.

The people that are on these forums are probably safe customers for Apple. It's the people in between that are going to be tough. I only ever leaned towards Apple because i used an iPod and why not carry one device over an ipod and phone. Truth is that's far less of a slam dunk now. No headphone jack. The ipod app i don't even use because it's quite cluttered and mostly pretty eye candy now. Now i'm pretty much open to be sold any platform. I'm still on iphone 6 though pretty happily though so though I'm able to be persuaded I still am a current apple user until i need a new phone. Hopefully not soon. Recently replaced the battery so hopefully it lasts.
    04-02-2017 05:46 PM
    Not interested in the S8. At least the S7 let you decide between a normal screen or their "Edge" curved screen stuff. Now, the choice is made for you.

Also don't care for the off-center fingerprint reader right next to the camera. High and off center, probably not ideal for both right or left handed use. Seems like an afterthought, like they ran out of time trying to imbed the scanner under the screen along with the home button. Camera is just a carry over. Probably leftover Note 7 units. Battery is pretty small, considering the processor, and size and resolution of the display it's powering. And I have less than zero interest in Samsung's own versions of software we can already get from Google. Why would I want Bixby over Google Assistant? Or Samsung Pay over Wallet?

No thanks. I think the LG G6 is much more attractive, physically and features wise.
    04-02-2017 06:49 PM
    I came from years of using Google/Nexus phones. As long as Apple's devices continue to work without me having to tinker or reboot daily, I'll keep using them.

As for the home button, the Nexus devices didn't have them, so if Apple decided to remove them, that would be ok with me. If it never goes away, that's ok too.

As for no headphone jack on the 7 Plus, I'm a 100% bluetooth user anyway so that matters not.
    04-02-2017 07:11 PM
61 123