Samsung S8 vs Apple ?

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I believe Apple did learn. Didn't they elect to go with Samsung's OLED display for the next iPhone?

Samsung makes the best displays. I've owned a couple of Samsungs. The S7 Edge display is beautiful.

I think that iron sharpens iron. That Samsung can cause Apple to look at the iPhone and improve some aspects. Same with Apple causing the same reaction in Android OEMs.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Samsung makes the best displays. I've owned a couple of Samsungs. The S7 Edge display is beautiful.

I think that iron sharpens iron. That Samsung can cause Apple to look at the iPhone and improve some aspects. Same with Apple causing the same reaction in Android OEMs.

Totally agree. And what you stated is the beauty of competition!

TG_USMC_VET

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
There are several things I'd like to see like much smaller bezels. But, I don't think Apple needs to do anything groundbreaking to be able to compete with the S8! I feel like the majority of the iPhone customer base will flock to the new iPhone because it's the new iPhone. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

Add some new awesome features that have previously not been offered in an iPhone and you're looking at record sales yet again!

Absolutely! iPhones will sale regardless!..

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
May I ask do you live outside of the U.S.? I live in the U.S., imessage is turned on I don't know anybody that doesn't have unlimited text so i've never ever had anyone even ask me what messaging i'm using. I type a name and hit send. whether it's sms or imessage i don't pay attention to. And maybe in other places I'm thinking they plans don't come with unlimited texting or your texting out of your country and maybe imessage is a free way to do that?

Most people have unlimited sms outside the US too but the difference is when people want to share photos etc. MMS at least here in the UK is very expensive and isn't included in your plan so if you're having an sms conversation with someone and you want to send a picture you either have to switch apps or pay through the nose to send it. With iMessage you don't even need to think about it as media files are sent free because it's using a data connection. So here in the UK for example people on Android or iPhone users talking to people on Android tend to use WhatsApp instead because it's free to send media

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The Galaxy S8 is a very compelling device and certainly steps ahead of Apple in many respects and with the upcoming Note 8 they will have time to further refine this years features and technology, perhaps they will get the fingerprint sensor under the glass first, it not who cares really. On the back would be fine if it is properly located. apple could use their logo for a sensor that would be cool.

The S8 camera, processor, screen is simply the best and while I like my Apple hardware I still use Android as well, but Apple needs to bring a lot more to their next big iphone launch we already know the S version will be a warmed over 6/6S/7 again with a minor bump.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say I remember phones, but I do have the capacity to remember who does/doesn't have an iOS device. I don't talk to everyone in my contact list daily.

I would say, everything that was added to messages in iOS 10 would be a benefit. Stickers, apps, one could say even the games. But it's takes someone to actually use the services to say they are good.

However, yes to the video question. Sending/receiving video through iMessage yields way better quality than through mms. That's proven knowledge.
1. I agree that all features could be stated to be added benefits. Even if you don't like something, someone else will. There is a market for everything. Literally, even cow **** will sale in the right market niche - as compost/fertilizer.

2. The knowledge that iMessage media transfers are better than MMS is as proven as the knowledge that Skype media transfers are better than MMS. It's a useless rhetorical fact.

That all goes out of the window when you're communicating with someone who doesn't have an iPhone or Apple device. People aren't going to buy an iPhone just so you can send them higher quality videos and feel good about your purchase decision, when they don't want an iPhone. They will buy what they want and deal with the detriments of that decision, confident that the benefits outweigh them.

And that's the problem, the value of the service depends completely on the existence of other contacts who can use the service, which are locked to one vendor's devices. This works well when you communicate with people who live in areas where Apple has high market penetration. It is worthless when communicating in areas where the vast majority of people do not own these device. The fact that you have one, and that it sends higher quality media to other iMessage users doesn't matter if you barely know any.

Last edited:

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hate android bloatware i love apple eco system

This is an argument for 2 years ago. It's not applicable these days. Even carriers are preloading less software on phones these days.

Samsung has moved over half of its apps to the Galaxy App Store. Even their own Media Playback apps, for example, are no longer preloaded on the device. You get them from the Galaxy Essentials section on Galaxy Apps.

On top of that, Google has removed some of their own apps form mandatory preloading. There is far less "bloatware" (a term that is too widely used, and used too broadly when it is) than there used to be. You're using an old argument that is not as applicable today as it once was.

And you're ignoring the vast number of apps that Apple preloads on their devices. They've only just gotten around to allowing you to "disable" them, and that completely breaks the system as they don't allow you to set alternatives as defaults.

Nice try, though.

Mhazell1989

Jun 10, 2017
Visit site
Only time will tell which would be better, specs wise the iPhone edition may be better than s8 or s8+, but it's main competition is the note 8 which both have yet to be officially reveiled

BoneCollecter

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
Only time will tell which would be better, specs wise the iPhone edition may be better than s8 or s8+, but it's main competition is the note 8 which both have yet to be officially reveiled

If you ask about spec wise Samsung is always ahead of Apple (more ram,more megapixel camera,high resolution display,and few added features) the real question is OS support which makes the real difference and apple is superior in protecting privacy long software support and standing behind their products.

Mhazell1989

Jun 10, 2017
Visit site
With the edition, iPhone is meeting Android at screen resolution, edge display, and their processors have always been more reliable than Android except their 32bit models

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
If you ask about spec wise Samsung is always ahead of Apple (more ram,more megapixel camera,high resolution display,and few added features) the real question is OS support which makes the real difference and apple is superior in protecting privacy long software support and standing behind their products.

I agree with this. The spec race means nothing to me compared to privacy and support. While Android has gotten better with privacy, in think Apple still does a better job in both areas.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

Mhazell1989

Jun 10, 2017
Visit site
You don't agree? Their single and multicore tests prove it's more competent unless it's snapdragon 835 which is current gen the next iPhone has to catch up with

Mitchell Broomhead

Jul 7, 2017
Visit site
There are several things I'd like to see like much smaller bezels. But, I don't think Apple needs to do anything groundbreaking to be able to compete with the S8! I feel like the majority of the iPhone customer base will flock to the new iPhone because it's the new iPhone. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

Add some new awesome features that have previously not been offered in an iPhone and you're looking at record sales yet again!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This is an argument for 2 years ago. It's not applicable these days. Even carriers are preloading less software on phones these days.

Samsung has moved over half of its apps to the Galaxy App Store. Even their own Media Playback apps, for example, are no longer preloaded on the device. You get them from the Galaxy Essentials section on Galaxy Apps.

On top of that, Google has removed some of their own apps form mandatory preloading. There is far less "bloatware" (a term that is too widely used, and used too broadly when it is) than there used to be. You're using an old argument that is not as applicable today as it once was.

And you're ignoring the vast number of apps that Apple preloads on their devices. They've only just gotten around to allowing you to "disable" them, and that completely breaks the system as they don't allow you to set alternatives as defaults.

Nice try, though.

While Apple has had some non deletable apps on the iPhone, I would hardly call it bloatware. None of them took much storage space at all. A few do now, like the photos app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal