Why does My iphone 8 plus wants me to set up as new

Jason smith1978

Feb 16, 2018
Visit site
I just had a new screen/digitizer put on my iphone 8 plus yesterday.
The battery was dead when I got it home. I charged it and it wants me to set up as a new iphone. It shouldn't do this. How Do I get around this?
I shouldn't have to restore and should just be able to turn on and it works again.

Please help, I only back my phone up every few months and since screen broke I couldn't back up.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
https://www.tenorshare.com/iphone8-...iphone-8-and-iphone-x-into-recovery-mode.html

If it’s asking to setup as a new phone, I’m unaware of how this can be sidestepped. Not to say it doesn’t exist but i haven’t seen or heard of it.
If it hasn’t been factory reset (by the repair shop or due to a hardware/sw malfunction), your files theoretically are still there. I don’t believe(?) going through the new setup does a, for lack of a better phrase, reformat of the disk(if it happened it has already happened). But again I don’t know of anyway around “setup” appearing after reboot. Maybe someone with a better answer will. I put a link to recovery mode at the top (to retrieve files) but I don’t know if it would helpful/applicable for your situation.

This is the part I am sorry to have to say. You have a 4 year old phone that was having a physical change/repair (by third party repair I assume) and you didn’t perform a backup before bringing it in and haven’t backed it up for months? This is one of those things many people disregard, backups, because they don’t need it….until they do need it…often then desperately needing it. Starting at 99 cents a month eliminates that desperation potential (and it now gives free Relay for Safari usage). If you get this resolved, consider prioritizing immediate and regular iCloud backups.
Best of luck.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Are you sure it wants you to set it up as new? Was that your conclusion after the phone saying 'hello' ?
Did you proceed until step 2 or 3 (I don't remember exactly) of the setup process, where it asks you if you want to restore from a backup?
Are you sure there was no regular iCloud backup made, without you noticing?
If no iCloud backup, why don't you restore from one of your old (iTunes? Finder?) backups? Better an old but incomplete version than a brand new empty one.
If there really is no more useful backup available, lots of data might still be in icloud and reappear after setting up your 'new' iPhone with your existing Apple ID.

P.S. it amazes me, that there are still people out there who think they don't need backups.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
P.S. it amazes me, that there are still people out there who think they don't need backups.

Actually, you don’t. With services such as iCloud and OneDrive data is automatically synced with cloud. Most modern applications worth using also have there own cloud services.

I can reset, replace, upgrade, or even borrow a computing device, and have access to all my data.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Actually, you don’t. With services such as iCloud and OneDrive data is automatically synced with cloud. Most modern applications worth using also have there own cloud services.

I can reset, replace, upgrade, or even borrow a computing device, and have access to all my data.
Well,:

1. if you have the standard 5GB free iCloud storage only, and don't want to pay for more, the best 'automatic' backup won't help you.
2. you can easily turn iCloud for certain apps or the entire 'automatic' backup feature off.

Then you won't have an iPhone backup at all, or a totally insufficient one. And some people apparently do that deliberately, or they just don't know better, and both amazes me. That was my point.

Other than that, I agree with you.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
“P.S. it amazes me, that there are still people out there who think they don't need backups.”

There are a lot of them (I work at a help desk). For some it’s laziness but for others they aren’t sure how — even With an iPhone(or smartphone) making it ultra simple with iCloud.
Backups: one of those things you may never need, but if you end up needing it you’ll desperately need it.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Semantics. The term backup in this usage is having a copy of your files, apps, config etc at the ready to reinstall (after you install the OS, if that is needed).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice