The iPhone 8 In 2020 Is Still Amazing!!!

milellie111

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
This forum is dead!!! Don’t know why because the iPhone 8 is still a great phone! I’ve had my 8 Plus for over three years and it has been flawless! iPhone 12 coming out in a couple months and this is the first time where I feel like I could upgrade based on want instead of need.

The 8 Plus is still snappy and speedy and does everything I want and more. It still receives regular updates without a hitch. The form factor is still perfect.This phone has been through some everyday abuse and still looks brand new with only the Apple leather case.

Who else is holding on strong to the iPhone 8/8 Plus?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
My GF is still loving her 8+ project Red and never had a single issue with it. Still snappy after all the updates and 89% battery capacity.

She’s a fan of the Button so I don’t see her upgrading for at least a few more years

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Glad to hear. I am wrestling with a small dilemma. My wife and I are both Android users. I do own the XS Max and I am waiting for the 12 5G series (my daily driver is a 5G S20 Plus and I get really awesome speeds on T-Mobile - 150 Mbps or better). However, I really don't trust Google with my data as I think they have shown lately that they help themselves to it on the Android phones even when you say no. So, I am considering the jump to iPhone for both my wife and myself. The dilemma is that the current generations of iPhones are a no go for her. No home button, no chance. So the iPhone 8 Plus is a possibility for her.

My concern is network performance. Most of the improvements in my area with T-Mobile are with frequencies that the 8 Plus does not support. But my wife is a low data user. But call reliability is a must. So, is anyone on T-Mobile? If so, what kind of speeds are you getting in your area? Ookla's Speedtest app results would help me. Ultimately, I wish there was some way to get my hands on one just for a day to test it, show her and let her try it. But I don't think they are on display anywhere anymore. Any suggestions?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Glad to hear. I am wrestling with a small dilemma. My wife and I are both Android users. I do own the XS Max and I am waiting for the 12 5G series (my daily driver is a 5G S20 Plus and I get really awesome speeds on T-Mobile - 150 Mbps or better). However, I really don't trust Google with my data as I think they have shown lately that they help themselves to it on the Android phones even when you say no. So, I am considering the jump to iPhone for both my wife and myself. The dilemma is that the current generations of iPhones are a no go for her. No home button, no chance. So the iPhone 8 Plus is a possibility for her.

My concern is network performance. Most of the improvements in my area with T-Mobile are with frequencies that the 8 Plus does not support. But my wife is a low data user. But call reliability is a must. So, is anyone on T-Mobile? If so, what kind of speeds are you getting in your area? Ookla's Speedtest app results would help me. Ultimately, I wish there was some way to get my hands on one just for a day to test it, show her and let her try it. But I don't think they are on display anywhere anymore. Any suggestions?

My father is also on T-mobile and we recently went to the carrier store and both him a new iPhone SE 2020 and they still had an iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 on display as of this passed May

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
This forum is dead!!! Don’t know why because the iPhone 8 is still a great phone! I’ve had my 8 Plus for over three years and it has been flawless! iPhone 12 coming out in a couple months and this is the first time where I feel like I could upgrade based on want instead of need.

The 8 Plus is still snappy and speedy and does everything I want and more. It still receives regular updates without a hitch. The form factor is still perfect.This phone has been through some everyday abuse and still looks brand new with only the Apple leather case.

My wife - 2 yrs + on her 8Plus, me -Just over 15 months. All still good as new and performing well. In my crystal ball I can see hers needing a battery in 6 months or so but hey....

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

I have an 11 pro max on T-Mobile. My speeds in my neighborhood are always around 250 to 300+ mbps if that helps.

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I have an 11 pro max on T-Mobile. My speeds in my neighborhood are always around 250 to 300+ mbps if that helps.

Well, while that is very interesting and I would like to know the general area that you live in that gets those speeds on 4G LTE on T-Mobile (I get about 1/3 of those speeds on my XS Max in the Chicago suburbs), it doesn't really answer my question. I know that the recent phones are very good with data speeds. But the current - no home button iPhones are a no go for my wife. She won't even consider that and I don't blame her. That is what she is comfortable with and she is not generally comfortable with technology in general. I long ago sold off my 8 Plus and with the recent improvements in the T-Mobile network in my area, I would like to know what how the iPhone 8 Plus performs currently around here. I think I have decided to find a decent model and take the plunge. I would like to know where T-Mobile is offering those speeds on 4G LTE. I have seen those around here on 5G, but at best half that on 4G.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, while that is very interesting and I would like to know the general area that you live in that gets those speeds on 4G LTE on T-Mobile (I get about 1/3 of those speeds on my XS Max in the Chicago suburbs), it doesn't really answer my question. I know that the recent phones are very good with data speeds. But the current - no home button iPhones are a no go for my wife. She won't even consider that and I don't blame her. That is what she is comfortable with and she is not generally comfortable with technology in general. I long ago sold off my 8 Plus and with the recent improvements in the T-Mobile network in my area, I would like to know what how the iPhone 8 Plus performs currently around here. I think I have decided to find a decent model and take the plunge. I would like to know where T-Mobile is offering those speeds on 4G LTE. I have seen those around here on 5G, but at best half that on 4G.

I only mentioned it because I didn’t see a reason why the 8+ wouldn’t get those speeds in my area as well. I’m in Minneapolis. Not too far from you. I just ran a Speedtest in my home.

7c649482c630b4a0e6e1cb50b1408e74.jpg

TechBob

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
I only mentioned it because I didn’t see a reason why the 8+ wouldn’t get those speeds in my area as well. I’m in Minneapolis. Not too far from you. I just ran a Speedtest in my home.

7c649482c630b4a0e6e1cb50b1408e74.jpg

I just ran a Speedtest on my XS Max and I got a 10th of that - 33.0 down and 5.88 up. The 11 series, especially the Pro series has a much more advanced network chip than the 8 Plus and even somewhat more advanced chip than the XS Max. There are bands that the 8 Plus doesn't receive and the 8 Plus doesn't understand Carrier Aggregation (the ability to use a combination of the the available bands). Add 4x4 MIMO and other advanced features and you get what you have above - in the right areas. Congrats, enjoy, but your experience is not the norm for 4G and even for most on T-Mobile 5G. I doubt with the 8 Plus - here - I would break 20 down. But my wife is not a big user.

Thanks for the reply. It is amazing to see what you have. I don't expect to see performance from any carrier around here like those numbers for a very long period of time.

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I just ran a Speedtest on my XS Max and I got a 10th of that - 33.0 down and 5.88 up. The 11 series, especially the Pro series has a much more advanced network chip than the 8 Plus and even somewhat more advanced chip than the XS Max. There are bands that the 8 Plus doesn't receive and the 8 Plus doesn't understand Carrier Aggregation (the ability to use a combination of the the available bands). Add 4x4 MIMO and other advanced features and you get what you have above - in the right areas. Congrats, enjoy, but your experience is not the norm for 4G and even for most on T-Mobile 5G. I doubt with the 8 Plus - here - I would break 20 down. But my wife is not a big user.

Thanks for the reply. It is amazing to see what you have. I don't expect to see performance from any carrier around here like those numbers for a very long period of time.

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know that. I am lucky to get these speeds. Cheers.

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site

I would not say it is amazing however it is a damn good device , my 8plus is over two years and still going strong good battery and still zippy and is one of the best I have owned and I will take a good look at probably the 12 Pro the 11 Pro is dropping in price and is a great phone also .

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Purchased my 8+ in September, 2017. Settings\Battery\Battery Health\Maximum Capacity = 88%

76.2 up, 15.3 down on Verizon in South Central Texas area. Network conditions and speeds are variable based upon many conditions, but I'm happy with the test I just ran considering it was inside the house which has an alumnim roof.

Like everyone above has mentioned, the 8+ has been a good device. Will see what the fall holds for the 12 series. Need to balance that with an 11' MacBook Air Early 2014 whose battery drains quickly off charger, and an iPad Air 2 (released October 2014) that still works but is showing some sluggishness in apps and Safari.

anachrotech

Aug 14, 2018
Visit site
I love my 8+ and am very happy I choose this (2 years ago!) over android. I'll probably keep it for some time before I upgrade. Damn thing's a tank. (initially I had complaint about the weight, but it operates wonderfully).

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I love my 8+ and am very happy I choose this (2 years ago!) over android. I'll probably keep it for some time before I upgrade. Damn thing's a tank. (initially I had complaint about the weight, but it operates wonderfully).

Android to me is confusing to use. I have a Android Galaxy TAB A from when I signed up with AT & T. I never use that device.

Apple devices are much easier up update.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73