Moving on from 8+, do I get X or XR?

Redx

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
As my Xmas present to myself I'm going to upgrade and I'm going back and forth on which phone to get.

X pros- 2 cameras, thinner bezel, better screen resolution
Cons- smaller screen than xr.

XR pros- bigger screen and slimmer then 8+.
Cons- Only one camera and thicker bezel than X. Resolution not as good

Not interested in the Xs or Xs Max due to price.

What's everyone opinion?

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
As my Xmas present to myself I'm going to upgrade and I'm going back and forth on which phone to get.

What's everyone opinion?

I got XR and it’s good for me. I don’t understand the benefit of dual cameras though. Resolution seems great but then again I was previously using six yr old handmedown iPhone 5 that had passed through my last three kids first.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

What's everyone opinion?

Why do you think the XR’s resolution is ‘not as good’? Have you seen photos taken with that camera?

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site

What's everyone opinion?

I would go with the 8+..

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My pre-sales good luck was being in IT admin and handling many phone models.

All of them are good phones. My issues with an X or XS after owning Plus models:

1) Small text display when an app is not optimized an all or full screen type phone.
2) Much value placed on two cameras.
3) Seeing that slight boot in response to the second generation of face as credentials much like the second generation of fingerprint reading.

I did hesitate over the XS Max price but now I'm getting near 3 months of use and have no regrets. I find it's enough of a difference where I'm carrying the laptop less, not stopping at a computer for work tasks, and my Kindle hasn't been charged since August.

My users and associates who got X or XS are mostly pleased and especially if all the apps they use fill the whole screen. If you are fine with one camera the XR is very nice.

If you understand my bias - IT admin, my phone is often my desk or office - you should understand why I value the XR and Max but those might not be right for everyone. Still, I see associates who got the XR and Max just as happy.

libra89

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
I think you would benefit from the Xr since you are used to the battery life of a Plus phone and the size. The X might feel small to you which might be annoying over time.

I went from a 7 to the Xr to the X. The Xr was great, the only reason why I went to the X is because the size was just too big for me to use and it was cumbersome to deal with.

Ken Magel

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Your decision should depend on how you intend to use the new phone. You do not mention that in your question. Do you expect to take lots of pictures? The main advantage of the dual cameras is a 2x zoom. It is not much, but it is noticeable, if you take a lot of distance pictures. Do you have specific apps you expect to use a great deal? The main advantga eof the Xr is the newer technology which will probably last longer with regards to OS updates.

Redx

Oct 3, 2017
Visit site
Your decision should depend on how you intend to use the new phone. You do not mention that in your question. Do you expect to take lots of pictures? The main advantage of the dual cameras is a 2x zoom. It is not much, but it is noticeable, if you take a lot of distance pictures. Do you have specific apps you expect to use a great deal? The main advantga eof the Xr is the newer technology which will probably last longer with regards to OS updates.

I use the 2 cameras often so that's what slightly pushes me away from XR, but I do want the bigger screen. So difficult to decide

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I use the 2 cameras often so that's what slightly pushes me away from XR, but I do want the bigger screen. So difficult to decide

The 1 camera on the XR is the exact same as the primary camera on the XS & XS Max. The screen resolution while NOT as good as other current models IS better than what you had. It's likely THE best LCD on the market. You probably won't notice a difference. Also it has the same chip, bionic A12 as the XS and XS Max, BUT because of the "lessor" screen the battery lasts longer. I won't go for the XR.