I recently switched from my Samsung galaxy s7 edge to the iPhone 8 plus. The only way I can get pictures to come through regular texts or iMessage is by having cellular Data on. I don't want this! Please help! (I have wifi on).
    07-03-2018 01:35 PM
    You do NOT need to have cellular enabled to received photos via "iMessage". All you need is an internet connection.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    07-03-2018 01:45 PM
    What about sending an image from iPhone to Android? or iPhone to someone who doesn't have wifi connection for iMessage?
    07-03-2018 01:48 PM
    What about sending an image from iPhone to Android? or iPhone to someone who doesn't have wifi connection for iMessage?
    Multimedia messages (MMS) require a data connection. iMessage needs an internet connection (Wi-Fi or data).
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-03-2018 03:43 PM
    Sorry you’re having issues! I send and receive photos via secure WiFi all the time. In fact, it’s my preferred way!
    07-03-2018 04:49 PM
    My job takes me all over the world. (Currently Nigeria). When on WiFi and AT&T WiFi calling is active, I can communicate with anyone, Android or iPhone. When AT&T WiFi calling is not active, I can only communicate with other eye phone users via iMessage. Pictures or text.

There is a guy at the office that I frequently have to communicate with, and he insists on using a crappy android phone. I then have to whip out WhatsApp. It can be a pain.
    Tartarus likes this.
    07-04-2018 10:44 AM
    What about sending an image from iPhone to Android?
    Sending an image from an iPhone via iMessage requires at least a Wifi connection. The recipient (Android user) will need a data connection or a 3rd party app that can accept MMS via WiFi.

or iPhone to someone who doesn't have wifi connection for iMessage?
    Not possible without some sort of data or Wifi connection.

If there's an Android in the mix without data they'll need WiFi and you'll both need a 3rd party app like WhatsApp. In any scenario both parties will need either a data connection or a WiFi connection.
    07-04-2018 11:12 AM
    Sending an image from an iPhone via iMessage requires at least a Wifi connection. The recipient (Android user) will need a data connection or a 3rd party app that can accept MMS via WiFi.

Not possible without some sort of data or Wifi connection.

If there's an Android in the mix without data they'll need WiFi and you'll both need a 3rd party app like WhatsApp. In any scenario both parties will need either a data connection or a WiFi connection.
    Close, but not quite right.

iMessage sends messages via SMS when texting a non iPhone user. If you are on WiFi only, without a carrier link, you cannot iMessage non iMessage users.

When you are on WiFi, and you have a carrier link (if that’s the correct term) you can text non iMessage users, it goes through the carrier as an SMS or MMS.

AT&T has international WiFi calling. I use it. I am in Nigeria no where near an AT&T tower with my US SIM card, airplane mode, WiFi on, and when WiFi calling is engaged, I can use the phone just like I was in the US. WiFi calling not engaged, then it’s only iMessage to iMessage, or what’s app. iMessages to android users fail to send.
    07-04-2018 12:20 PM
    Close, but not quite right.

iMessage sends messages via SMS when texting a non iPhone user. If you are on WiFi only, without a carrier link, you cannot iMessage non iMessage users.

When you are on WiFi, and you have a carrier link (if that’s the correct term) you can text non iMessage users, it goes through the carrier as an SMS or MMS.

AT&T has international WiFi calling. I use it. I am in Nigeria no where near an AT&T tower with my US SIM card, airplane mode, WiFi on, and when WiFi calling is engaged, I can use the phone just like I was in the US. WiFi calling not engaged, then it’s only iMessage to iMessage, or what’s app. iMessages to android users fail to send.

I just went through this when my carrier (Straight Talk on the AT&T network) broke my sim card two or three weeks ago (went a week without cellular service). I had no issues chatting with my x-husband from my 8 Plus to his Android. So either my sim card still had some sort of service, or something has changed. Perhaps my sim card still had some type of service, but no calls were coming in or going out and I had no phone number assigned to the sim.
    07-04-2018 12:55 PM
    I just went through this when my carrier (Straight Talk on the AT&T network) broke my sim card two or three weeks ago (went a week without cellular service). I had no issues chatting with my x-husband from my 8 Plus to his Android. So either my sim card still had some sort of service, or something has changed. Perhaps my sim card still had some type of service, but no calls were coming in or going out and I had no phone number assigned to the sim.
    Yea I don’t know how the Straight Talk works, just know that the first time I couldn’t communicate, I got in touch with AT&T, and that was the nice lady’s explanation.

I’m sorry you still had comms with your X. Mine was easy. She was on my plan... Three hours later she was on some other suckers plan.
    07-05-2018 01:03 AM
    Yea I don’t know how the Straight Talk works, just know that the first time I couldn’t communicate, I got in touch with AT&T, and that was the nice lady’s explanation.
    I'm more inclined to believe there was still some sort of service. There's no telling, they're the ones who broke it to begin with lol.

I’m sorry you still had comms with your X.
    I'm not. I consider him to be one of my closest and best friends.
    07-06-2018 05:08 AM

I'm not. I consider him to be one of my closest and best friends.
    That’s great.

I can tolerate mine for short periods of time. But that’s about it. Her husband looks at me and shakes his head. I smile.
    07-06-2018 05:20 AM