Iphone 8 Plus Questions

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

I am thinking about converting from my note 8 to the Iphone 8 plus. I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions.

1. I am only able to connect via wifi at work because the cell service here is crap. Will Imessages work on wifi and would I be able to get messages from both Android and Iphone users?

2. Are you still only able to update Apps from the App store over wifi or can you choose to have it update over cellular?

3. Are you able to store fingerprints in order to log into websites via biometrics?

4. Last but not least, the wireless charging, Does it come out of the box ready to charge wirelessly? (Meaning as long as I have a wireless charging pad, I can charge it wirelessly without buying more items)

Thanks in advance.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I am thinking about converting from my note 8 to the Iphone 8 plus. I was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions.

1. I am only able to connect via wifi at work because the cell service here is crap. Will Imessages work on wifi and would I be able to get messages from both Android and Iphone users?

4. Last but not least, the wireless charging, Does it come out of the box ready to charge wirelessly? (Meaning as long as I have a wireless charging pad, I can charge it wirelessly without buying more items)

Thanks in advance.

1. I think you only can receive I messages if connected to wifi. From Android it will be a text message and that needs mobile network

4. Wireless charging work out of the box. I have a Samsung qi charger I use with my Ip8+ and it works great.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

2. Are you still only able to update Apps from the App store over wifi or can you choose to have it update over cellular?

3. Are you able to store fingerprints in order to log into websites via biometrics?

Thanks in advance.

Hi!

Here are your answers:

1- iMessage works on Wi-Fi. You’ll be able to receive regular text messages if you carrier supports Wi-Fi Calling, since internet will be prioritized over their network.

2- Whichever you want!

3- If the website or app supports it, yes. Otherwise, passwords can be saved in iCloud then auto filled-in with a fingerprint confirmation.

4- Absolutely!

I hope I answered your questions to your satisfaction!

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome to iMore! I'm so happy to meet you. In answer to your questions:

1. I connect to Wi-Fi at work, and at home as well. iMessages works just fine on both Wi-Fi and cellular data.

2. You can update apps over Wi-Fi and/or cellular data. One word of caution... uploading apps can be taxing on your data plan, so unless you have unlimited data, I would try and update apps when you're connected to Wi-Fi. Also, it's always wise to connect to secure Wi-Fi... many times Wi-Fi in local spots, such as cafe's, restaurants, etc isn't always secure, so be careful! You should be fine at work, and of course at home.

3. Touch ID (finger prints) works wonderfully with your phone, as well as any apps that allow that capability! It's such a huge timesaver... I can understand your desire to have that feature.

4. Wireless charging is possible, and works great! It's a good idea to make sure that your wireless charger is Qi certified!

Hope this helps!!! When you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
1. I think you only can receive I messages if connected to wifi. From Android it will be a text message and that needs mobile network

4. Wireless charging work out of the box. I have a Samsung qi charger I use with my Ip8+ and it works great.

No, iMessage works on both wifi and cellular.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Think they were asking if no mobile network will they only get iMessages on wifi or from android phones too.
Blue v Green messages.

Jun 6, 2018
Visit site
yes exactly. I was having problems with my text messages (and phone calls) coming through on my Android while at work due to location of my work. Which isn't a huge problem except I have a child who I would like to be able reach me in case of emergency. I went ahead and bought an Iphone so I guess I have 14 days to see if it works for me....

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
yes exactly. I was having problems with my text messages (and phone calls) coming through on my Android while at work due to location of my work. Which isn't a huge problem except I have a child who I would like to be able reach me in case of emergency. I went ahead and bought an Iphone so I guess I have 14 days to see if it works for me....

Be sure to enable wifi calling.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234