I discovered that my iPhone 8 Plus is not waterproof.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Do not test your iPhone waterproofing.

I dropped mine in the bathtub. Seemed to be all right. In the morning the device went into the auto reboot dance. A banner came across the screen, "Your home button may need service" and I was provided with an on-screen virtual sub. Some other spastic happenings, and I have an appointment with a genius this day.

I note that there was an automatic response built in for this failure, so wonder how prevalent the trouble might be.

Sign me disgruntled long-time customer.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: 8 Nonplussed

I dropped mine in the bathtub. Seemed to be all right. In the morning the device went into the auto reboot dance. A banner came across the screen, "Your home button may need service" and I was provided with an on-screen virtual sub. Some other spastic happenings, and I have an appointment with a genius this day.

I note that there was an automatic response built in for this failure, so wonder how prevalent the trouble might be.

If there was soap in the bathtub, that would explain the water resistance failing.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Re: 8 Nonplussed

It's its resistance, NOT proof! ALWAYS we a phone gets wet like that TURN IT OFF, let it dry out before using it again.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Actually, the iPhone 8 is IP67 certified which means that it is "protected from immersion in water with a depth of up to 1 meter (or 3.3 feet) for up to 30 mins." It should be able to withstand accidental submersion (although water damage is not covered by the standard Apple warranty).

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

Why did you test yours that way?

rsidhaarth

Oct 2, 2017
Visit site
Me and my brother own iPhone 8 Plus. When we are on trip we took underwater video footage in the swimming pool and played a lot with the phone by throwing it in swimming pool. Nothing happened to his and it is still working rock solid.

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I wash mine in the kitchen sink with soap and warm water regularly. I have taken it in the shower with me clean. No problems. You tube is full of water test videos, including boiling it on the stovetop and freezing it in a block of ice.

Perhaps it is merely a coincidence ?

I wouldn’t mention it to the Apple genius. Let him/her/them/they/this person figure it out themselves. They are, after all, geniuses.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I wash mine in the kitchen sink with soap and warm water regularly. I have taken it in the shower with me clean. No problems. You tube is full of water test videos, including boiling it on the stovetop and freezing it in a block of ice.

Perhaps it is merely a coincidence ?

I wouldn’t mention it to the Apple genius. Let him/her/them/they/this person figure it out themselves. They are, after all, geniuses.

To me it is easier to leave the phone out in the rain. To charge the battery I leave the phone and ipads in the hot sun. Works great.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps some of us are talking with our tongues planted firmly in our cheeks? ;)

Last edited:

Spectrumite

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site
I use walking and the city bus for most of my transportation needs, so the IP67 water resistance of my new 8 Plus is attractive. I hope the water resistance is not just marketing hype on Apple's part - I need rain storm protection!