Is it still worth getting the iPhone 8 Plus?

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
Xfinity Mobile has all 256GB iPhone 8 Pluses on sale (except for the PRODUCT red color option) for $150 off. I would like to get one as a backup device to my iPhone X and as a media consumption device.

Would it be worth getting one at this point? I ask this because Apple will unveil the new iPhones in September and I'm not sure if I should get anything this late in the product cycle.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
You kind of answered your Questions if you already have a current device you should wait it out. The 8+ will drop in value automatically in the fall after the new releases.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
LOL! I'm still using the 6s Plus. Still works great, except for a wearing out battery. So, a new 8 Plus should be good for several years.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
The 8 Plus is going to be supported for several more years, and if it's only for a backup device then get one now while it's 150 off... if you're not worried about the money. You could also wait till they drop in price like Kataran suggested, but if you do that then you may as well buy it unlocked from Apple directly after the price drops.

If having the latest and greatest device to be used as a backup is that important, then wait for the new releases.

The 8 Plus is a fantastic phone. I love mine!!

Mr.Willie

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
If all you’re worried about is a back up and media consumption, by a used 6+ /6S+, and pay Apple $30 for a fresh battery.

The 6 still kicks ***.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Xfinity Mobile has all 256GB iPhone 8 Pluses on sale (except for the PRODUCT red color option) for $150 off. I would like to get one as a backup device to my iPhone X and as a media consumption device.

Would it be worth getting one at this point? I ask this because Apple will unveil the new iPhones in September and I'm not sure if I should get anything this late in the product cycle.

Are you certain that you will get one of the new iPhone models this coming fall? If so, will your current iPhone X become your backup device? If you don’t think you’ll be getting one of this fall’s iPhone models then go ahead and grab an iPhone 8 Plus models that you said was on sale.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
LOL! I'm still using the 6s Plus. Still works great, except for a wearing out battery. So, a new 8 Plus should be good for several years.

Just replaced Sherry's 6 plus(64) with an 8 plus (256gb) The 6plus had slowed ( but not the battery throttling as it still showed 97%) I suspect simply that the newer iOS's may overwhelm old(er) processors a bit......The camera on her 6Plus also either simply older, or actually had an issue, as photo colour & depth were not nearly as good as with my 7Plus. Let Apple have another 2 or 3 years to de-bug & develop faceID and other 'X' technologies, her 8 Plus is a great improvement and works wonderfully

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I'm spinning this in another direction.

What mobile company are you with?

Here's why I ask. I'm on Tmobile. They are working on their 600mhz band network which is supposed to be able to penetrate buildings so you'll get better signal inside a building. Unfortunately Tmo didn't get the specs to Apple in time to get the 8 and X 600mhz compatible, and thus I'm still rocking the 7+ and plan on staying with it until either (a) the next iDevice works with 600mhz or (b) the next iDevice works on the new Tmobile / Sprint network. Option B supposedly works now with current devices but I have doubts.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site

Here's why I ask. I'm on Tmobile. They are working on their 600mhz band network which is supposed to be able to penetrate buildings so you'll get better signal inside a building. Unfortunately Tmo didn't get the specs to Apple in time to get the 8 and X 600mhz compatible, and thus I'm still rocking the 7+ and plan on staying with it until either (a) the next iDevice works with 600mhz or (b) the next iDevice works on the new Tmobile / Sprint network. Option B supposedly works now with current devices but I have doubts.

Option A will become clearer as we get closer to specs leak towards middle to end of summer. Youll know better and be able to make a decision this way than your option B.

Option B wont happen for at least year or so. The proposed merger has a long ways to go to be approved by shareholders and regulators. If approved, the merger itself takes awhile. Youre a minimum 18months away from Option B if ever.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Option A will become clearer as we get closer to specs leak towards middle to end of summer. Youll know better and be able to make a decision this way than your option B.

Option B wont happen for at least year or so. The proposed merger has a long ways to go to be approved by shareholders and regulators. If approved, the merger itself takes awhile. Youre a minimum 18months away from Option B if ever.

Which is fine because at this point I don't see a need to upgrade from the 7+ unless I drop it and it becomes FUBAR.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I personally just came back to the 8plus. It’s got the same internals as the X, some would say even better longevity because the screen has less pixels to push. Battery is a beast and the screen isn’t too much worse than the X. I would say iOS 12 and 13 will run just fine on the 8plus. At least that’s what I am hoping.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I had no real plans to update to the 8 Plus. I was using iPhone 4 and 4s. Those worked great and still do. When I read the reviews on the 8 Plus and the great battery life. That decided for me to purchase the 8 Plus.

I still use my original iPhone for an alarm clock.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site

I was on T-Mobile, but I'm now on Xfinity Mobile. It's cheaper and it runs on the Verizon network. I hope this year's new iDevices work on Band 71 and get 4x4 MIMO this year, but I have my doubts.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods