Swap 8 for 8+? Can't decide

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the iPhone 8. I got it at launch and previously had a 6s. I was really looking forward to a noticeable bump in performance, when I made the switch. Seeing as I skipped the 7, I thought for sure I would really feel the difference. Unfortunately, the 8 doesn't seem any faster to me than the 6s. If I hadn't already passed it on to my daughter, I would sell my 8 and go back to the 6s for now. All of that being said, I have been considering ditching the 8 and getting the 8+ for the better camera and larger screen. I had an iphone 6+ before the 6s and sold it as I thought it was too big... but for some reason, I have been wanting a larger screen again.

Anyone else make the same switch - 8 to 8 plus? Thoughts? Can't really afford it right now, but am feeling like splurging anyway (totally irrational).

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I have always had 6,6S and 7 but this time I went for 8+ and I am really enjoying it. When 6+ came a laugh at those who had one, I thought it was huge. Now when I have one my self it's not that big . I think it's great and the size is perfect for me. If you can afford it go for it

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How do you feel about the size of the iPhone X’s screen? Is it more suitable for you in terms of overall size than the iPhone 8 Plus? It’s something to consider, in my opinion.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if you'll notice much of a speed boost with the 8+. You'll more than likely notice increased battery but I'm not sure I'd bank on a noticeably faster phone than your 8.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately, the 8 doesn't seem any faster to me than the 6s. If I hadn't already passed it on to my daughter, I would sell my 8 and go back to the 6s for now. All of that being said, I have been considering ditching the 8 and getting the 8+ for the better camera and larger screen. I had an iphone 6+ before the 6s and sold it as I thought it was too big... but for some reason, I have been wanting a larger screen again.

Definitely going from 8 to 8 Plus won't feel faster. If solely having a better camera and larger screen are your reasons for wanting to upgrade and those are that important to you, then go ahead. Otherwise I'd just stick with the 8

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I too, for the first time, chose the Plus size and have no regrets. I've not struggled at all to adapt to the larger size, not to mention the battery life is phenomenal! And then there's the cameral :D

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I did not mean to imply that I expected the 8+ to feel faster than the 8. I was merely pointing out one of my disappointments after upgrading from my 6s. It just didn't feel like I really changed phones at all - except for the wireless charging. Camera quality is definitely important to me, as my iPhone is my primary point and shoot. For some reason, the additional screen real estate of the plus is also appealing. I am not too worried about battery life, although more is never a bad thing. I just have to ask if it's worth the additional expense right now, or if I will just feel silly a week after making the leap.

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I think I would like the screen size of the X just fine, and I certainly prefer the body size to screen size ratio over that of the plus. However, I find the price of the X to be over the line for me and I can't help but think of this first iteration of the X style iPhone as somewhat of a beta. Not sure I am ready to give up my home button either. However, if one fell into my lap, I would take it. Haha.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I think I would like the screen size of the X just fine, and I certainly prefer the body size to screen size ratio over that of the plus. However, I find the price of the X to be over the line for me and I can't help but think of this first iteration of the X style iPhone as somewhat of a beta. Not sure I am ready to give up my home button either. However, if one fell into my lap, I would take it. Haha.

I went from 8 to X but have had pluses as well, wife has 8 plus which suits her as it goes in a handbag.

I am not a fan of FID though so have been thinking of going back to a 8 plus but the loss on my X would be $430AUD. The X is the perfect size though so will probably hang on to it.

CaptainSprk

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
You will definitely enjoy the bigger display. Better camera. There are situations in which you will be thankful for the size. Like watching videos

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
In case you are all on the edge of your seats waiting to find out what I decided: I picked up a 8 Plus last Friday for $150 off at Best Buy (Gold, 256GB). I had to take the payment plan to get the $150 off, but still a good deal, I figured. I still have my 8 and I am bouncing back and forth between wanting to return the Plus immediately, and loving it. Camera is remarkably better, and I LOVE that. Doing pretty much anything on the phone is easier/better/less cramped, but I really dislike the overall size and weight! There is no quickly slipping it into a pocket - I always know it's there if it even fits. Other issue is I had a nice pouch for the waist strap of my daypack that fit my 8, but it is now useless. I do a lot of hiking and backpacking and I am not sure how best to carry this thing. I need it to be handy, but not be in the way. A neoprene horizontal zipper pouch that can slide onto the waist strap of my pack would be best, but I haven't found one yet.

I have been having some issues with this new phone switching quickly off of WIFI to LTE (VZW), but I am hoping this is just temporary. I move in and out of areas where I am relying on WIFI calling due to low, or no VZW signal and I need that to work well. I may need to reset network settings or something.

Just starting to look at cases. I always keep at least one super protective case for hiking/outdoors stuff. Hard to figure out which one to try on this larger phone. I order an Otterbox Symmetry, which I don't usually love, but reviews were bad on the Speck grip cases, which I normally like, so we will see.

I have another week plus to decide... stay tuned.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I know it’s costly but what about a watch? When you’re hiking etc you won’t have to worry about carrying your phone. I have been wearing a smart watch 3 years and can’t be without. It really makes things better for me

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
In case you are all on the edge of your seats waiting to find out what I decided: I picked up a 8 Plus last Friday for $150 off at Best Buy (Gold, 256GB). I had to take the payment plan to get the $150 off, but still a good deal, I figured. I still have my 8 and I am bouncing back and forth between wanting to return the Plus immediately, and loving it. Camera is remarkably better, and I LOVE that. Doing pretty much anything on the phone is easier/better/less cramped, but I really dislike the overall size and weight! There is no quickly slipping it into a pocket - I always know it's there if it even fits. Other issue is I had a nice pouch for the waist strap of my daypack that fit my 8, but it is now useless. I do a lot of hiking and backpacking and I am not sure how best to carry this thing. I need it to be handy, but not be in the way. A neoprene horizontal zipper pouch that can slide onto the waist strap of my pack would be best, but I haven't found one yet.

I have been having some issues with this new phone switching quickly off of WIFI to LTE (VZW), but I am hoping this is just temporary. I move in and out of areas where I am relying on WIFI calling due to low, or no VZW signal and I need that to work well. I may need to reset network settings or something.

Just starting to look at cases. I always keep at least one super protective case for hiking/outdoors stuff. Hard to figure out which one to try on this larger phone. I order an Otterbox Symmetry, which I don't usually love, but reviews were bad on the Speck grip cases, which I normally like, so we will see.

I have another week plus to decide... stay tuned.

The iPhone X is slightly larger than the iPhone 8, but it's very pocketable if you're looking for something that can slip in and out of your pocket.

As for the switching between Wi-Fi and cellular signal, newer Android phones have 4x4 MIMO which allows them to switch between WiFi and cell networks quickly because it operates with four antennas (older devices and Apple devices only have two, unfortunately).

I see you posted this on April 3 and your return period was over two weeks ago. Did you decide to keep the iPhone 8 Plus?

jkmasi

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone X is slightly larger than the iPhone 8, but it's very pocketable if you're looking for something that can slip in and out of your pocket.

As for the switching between Wi-Fi and cellular signal, newer Android phones have 4x4 MIMO which allows them to switch between WiFi and cell networks quickly because it operates with four antennas (older devices and Apple devices only have two, unfortunately).

I see you posted this on April 3 and your return period was over two weeks ago. Did you decide to keep the iPhone 8 Plus?

I did keep the Plus. In the end, the better camera, and roomier screen and keyboard won out over pocket-ability. I am still looking for a decent and secure pouch case for my backpack and/or daypack.

The issues I was having with switching from no-service to service/WIFI to cellular, seem to be improved. When the phone is having trouble, a quick re-boot solves the problem.

On a side note (since you mentioned Android and antennas), my husband has a Pixel, and while it's generally a great phone, a big downside to me is that he has to put his phone in Airplane mode to force it to prefer WIFI calling. It will try to stick to cellular, even when the signal is super weak.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77