8 Plus Camera Glitch

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Well...took some time but the camera on 8 Plus takes photographs and puts this annoying border on the top and bottom. Videos look OK with notany borders added.
372c7339ed5bb349d88033dffa7af42e.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Why should this have to be done. Why does the camera add the top and bottom borders?

Screen shots look fine. No borders.

They’re just trying to standardize the size of the photo by cropping the sides. Simple as that. Not a bug; Apple does that on purpose.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Hopefully with the next update this will be changed.

It's like that on purpose, and has been like this for a long time (there's threads about it on the official Apple forums as far back as 2015). Highly doubtful it will be changed anytime soon, if ever.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
'Read my post below, again. The ONLY way a photo can take up the whole screen is either if it is distorted, or if it doesn't use the whole sensor, which reduces the resolution."

Read the above in that web page reference. That would not bother me. Wish there was a setting for this.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
That helped. There is mention of a camera application called what's app. Will see if this works.

Well this what's app takes full screen photographs but does not transfer the photograph to the camers roll.

WhatsApp is a chat app similar to the messages app. You won't find any way to cram a photo into your screen that fills up the screen, without parts of the photo being cropped. Look at it this way, when you put physical photos in a photo album or scrap book, don't you do it in a way where you can see all the photo? Well, that's what Apple does with photos on the screen. You can see all of the photo. If you zoom it up where it fills the screen, some gets cut off.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I found two camera applications in the app store tyat takes full screen photographs. This one called Full screen is the one that gives these photo size options.

d941f39e8b4512ae257c04a7bc7dc31b.jpg

The photograph below is from another full screen application called FullPix. The name of the company appears on the bottom of the
d24db5386ceb3dfdb79bf42fb8fa7236.jpg
screen until a purchase is made.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I found two camera applications in the app store tyat takes full screen photographs. This one called Full screen is the one that gives these photo size options.

They're fine if you're only viewing your photos on your phone. But viewing them on a computer with a large monitor you can tell large sections on both sides of a photo are missing. The default camera gets a lot more in the photo.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Have not used my computer to view photographs in like a loooooooong time. The iPad and iohine are much better. On the top photograph there is a Japanese version of the same application but without any opening adverts.

Here is a screen **** of their menu. Even has a nice camera shutter sound when taking rhe photograph.

Price is real inexpensive FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!

2e17bce2eca4c5007574514d09c6fdf0.jpg

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Have not used my computer to view photographs in like a loooooooong time. The iPad and iohine are much better. On the top photograph there is a Japanese version of the same application but without any opening adverts.

Here is a screen **** of their menu. Even has a nice camera shutter sound when taking rhe photograph.

Price is real inexpensive FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180318/2e17bce2eca4c5007574514d09c6fdf0.jpg

You can do that, but did you take the same photo with the stock camera to compare?
I have a camera app called ProCamera. It has the option to change the aspect ratio.
b08b454c29a4e71bc9cd3e9497823e9c.jpg

I keep it on the default of 4:3, because it takes in more of the subject.
Here’s a comparison.
Stock 4:3 regular photo.
31602bd185da919f869c2a1ddb7b11b5.jpg

When highlighted in the photos app, it has the dark areas at the top and bottom. But it shows more than this one which has a 16:9 aspect ratio that fills the screen.
33a0e472bec59838e7a855eae3fbca4e.jpg

You can see the difference. They were shot the same.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Never notuced this on my 4s which is the phone I uograded from.

Your iPhone 4s has a shorter screen. Therefore you didn’t see the black bars on the top and bottom of the photos.
Your current iPhone has a longer screen. If you were to take the same photo on your iPhone 4s and the current phone and view it on a computer, you’d see they were exactly the same format.

I’m just surprised nobody said this already in this thread.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
4:3 is the standard aspect ratio that all cameras use. Professional cameras, point and shoot, and camera phones all shoot in this aspect ratio. Every smartphone I've ever had uses this ratio including the 4S. It's the same across all platforms. iOS, Android, and Windows Phone all use it by default. Most Android phones give you the option to change the aspect ratio, but iOS does not. You have to use 3rd party camera apps if you want it to shoot in 16:9.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
The iPad and iohine are much better.

Only if you are using an old outdated garbage computer. I view my images from my phone and DSLR on a high end gaming computer that I built myself, and I have high resolution monitors with great color for gaming and graphics.

As many have already told you, your phone's default camera is working as intended. Get a better computer and view your photos the way they're intended to be viewed.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods