Curved displays (Samsung vs Apple)

Matt Manahan

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
When I saw that the Samsung Galaxy S9+ would have stereo speakers and be available in lilac purple, I was hooked (mainly for the purple). I received mine yesterday. I haven't had a Samsung since the S3.

I'm still getting used to the S9+. There are a lot of very cool things about it (as with Android in general). I can't wait to try out Samsung pay at any credit card terminal.

Back when the iPhone X was just a rumor, I wrote a post about hoping Apple didn't make their screen curved like Samsung's flagships. And now that I own a Samsung flagship with a curved screen, my opinion is...the curve sucks! It's not too bad (definitely no deal breaker), but the curve adds nothing. Sure, it looks cool, but having images and text curve downwards is of no use to me. Swiping in from the "edge" feels even more unnatural than if it were a flat screen.

So, I'm glad Apple went with a flat screen on the X. While I'm not much impressed with the X overall (I still hate the notch!!! And I want a plus version), I hope they contintue with the flat screen and similar bezels of the X.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, Apple will supply the device as you wish. We’ll know soon enough. As for the new Samsung device, it looks good, but not good enough to sway me from my iPhone.

Now in regard to the curved display, it’s just aesthetics, in my opinion.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I was checking one out today at Best buy was not really fond of the curved edges but the display was really nice. Samsung has come a long way.

Westiemom

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
A friend wanted me to phone shop with her Friday night. She was still using a Droid Turbo and was finally ready to upgrade. She didn’t really think she wanted an iPhone even though that is what her husband and family use, however there were some things she was starting to hate about Google so she was going to consider it. We spent an hour and a half in the Verizon store, , but she ended up with the iPhone 8 Plus. One thing she hated about the Samsung S9 was the curved screen. She took one look and said no, too fragile looking! Thought she’d go for the Pixel 2 XL but she talked herself into the iPhone......I had nothing to do with it.

Matt Manahan

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I've had the S9+ for a week. There's a lot I love, but the curved screen? Nope. Still annoying, especially when trying to press a button that's on the curve.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I don’t like curved screens. Never have. I switched from Android and Samsung over a yr ago to Apple and am liking it a lot. I made the complete switch from tablet and PC as well as watches.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a GS9 as a secondary device, and there's a lot to like about it... but that curved screen? No. Too fragile, and I don't like that images and text near the edges of the display are slightly distorted.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77