iPhone X to iPhone 8 Plus

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I have had the iPhone X since launch day, but I am strongly considering trading it for an iPhone 8 Plus. Has anyone else here made this switch? Do you miss the iPhone X?

The main reason I am thinking about switching is screen real estate. I am not a huge fan of the taller aspect ratio, especially when watching video. I also don’t see the value in the premium price of the iPhone X - this part doesn’t really matter now, but I kind of regret not going with the 8 Plus to begin with.

One thing I am worried about, is that I will dislike the LCD after using an OLED screen for a few months if I make the switch.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
The 8 plus is a great phone my wife has one and uses it in a 12 south wallet and lives in her handbag, at home and around the house i don't mind the size but for me its not pocketable when out.
You do get more screen with the plus but i like FID better than TID mostly and no home button.
I did think about changing when i got her plus as it was such a steal, to sell mine i would lose $380 and i have a 12.9 pro when need bigger screen anyway.
I actually set up her old 6S plus over the weekend which i cant sell at the moment, it confirmed my dislikes of the plus.

Probably wont help you but my 2C :)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
After I used my 6s+ this weekend I realized just how much I prefer the X size and screen. Initially I didn’t feel that way and missed my 7+ but now I’m attached to the X.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have been thinking this exact way all weekend. I might do it /again/ but the fear of missing out on great things that come from the x has me mind boggled.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I bought an 8 plus on launch day. Got an X on launch day. Didn’t sell the 8 plus right away. Tried to use it for a week after I had the X a month and I lasted one day and then quickly listed my 8 plus on swappa with no regrets. I don’t miss it at all.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I have had the iPhone X since launch day, but I am strongly considering trading it for an iPhone 8 Plus. Has anyone else here made this switch? Do you miss the iPhone X?

I did make the switch. I actually have two lines out of necessity and not because I really crave having two phones. I put my X on my work line and I use my 8 Plus basically 90% of the time.

One thing I am worried about, is that I will dislike the LCD after using an OLED screen for a few months if I make the switch.
I honestly don't really care one way or the other. If that really is something that would bother you, you'll know it within the first few days of using an 8 Plus. The Plus is just a much more comfortable phone to use. Besides what you already mentioned, typing is a breeze, you get full video without give and take with cropping, and most of all Touch ID is faster than Face ID. When you use Touch ID on the 8 Plus you're not waiting for that slow animation that Apple applies to mask that it's slower than Touch ID, nor does your phone have to be at a perfect angle. You'll notice it even more immediately when using it for 3rd party apps like 1password or the banking apps.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I honestly don't really care one way or the other. If that really is something that would bother you, you'll know it within the first few days of using an 8 Plus. The Plus is just a much more comfortable phone to use. Besides what you already mentioned, typing is a breeze, you get full video without give and take with cropping, and most of all Touch ID is faster than Face ID. When you use Touch ID on the 8 Plus you're not waiting for that slow animation that Apple applies to mask that it's slower than Touch ID, nor does your phone have to be at a perfect angle. You'll notice it even more immediately when using it for 3rd party apps like 1password or the banking apps.

I agree with all that. My X gripe is FID is useless in my vehicle and slower than 8 plus TID, and my 8 plus gripe is its like a brick in the pocket.

Last edited:

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I agree with all that. My X gripe is FID is useless in my vehicle and slower than 8 plus TID, and my 8 plus gripe is its like a brick in the pocket.

Yeah that’s a downside to the Plus. Feels like an anchor in my pocket. I don’t use a case so that helps a bit.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I went from the 8 Plus to the X. I like that both cameras on the X have OIS. The OLED display is better. The size of the X is better. I prefer FaceID to TouchID. The aspect ratio is here to stay so it's something we'll eventually need to get used to.

The one thing the 8 Plus does better is that it has better battery life.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I’m finding with my switch back the 8plus is there are only two things I am missing on the X. 1. Tap to wake 2. The gestures. Getting used to an home button again is weird. Will it make me go back to the X? Maybe, we’ll see how it goes until this weekend. Do love me some 16:9 though.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well....

Back on my X. Sold the 8plus to a friend. Realized I missed to much and the screen really isn’t that much smaller. Here’s to the future.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This is so true. So much of the X experience is worth it. I honestly don’t know why I even went back to the 8plus.
Me personally, I'm not even sure why I wasted money buying the 8 plus with the X coming 6 weeks later. I guess I just wanted something new. Glad I didn't lose too much selling my 8 plus. Probably because the device was still fairly new to rhe market.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Me personally, I'm not even sure why I wasted money buying the 8 plus with the X coming 6 weeks later. I guess I just wanted something new. Glad I didn't lose too much selling my 8 plus. Probably because the device was still fairly new to rhe market.

Luckily I only lost $150 (cost of apple care) on the deal. It was still in mint with apple care plus and my buddy usually buys my old phones off me anyway.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Luckily I only lost $150 (cost of apple care) on the deal. It was still in mint with apple care plus and my buddy usually buys my old phones off me anyway.
Yeah I lost about $100. But not like I really lost. Got to use something new for 6 weeks.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I lost about $100. But not like I really lost. Got to use something new for 6 weeks.

That’s how I looked at it. My friend felt like he was stealing it from me. But I got to use a new phone for almost a month 1/2 before I shelved it.

Now I am impatiently waiting for my DBrand Grip case to ship for my X.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711