iPhone 7 Plus or 8 Plus?

iPhone 7 Plus or 8 Plus?

• Total voters

WHITE_QODE

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
ok I really need some help.

On the internet, there is utter confusion. Some say, apart from the A11 chip, there is no difference. Some say there is a major difference.

Can someone help and list down the pros and cos of both?

Also, what do you guys recommend. I honestly can't afford a iPhone 8 Plus 256gigs, but 64 I can manage.

I am NOT a game freak, I am more of a causal surfer and an occasional media consumer.

But yes, I would like to use my phone for reading (that's why I am buying a Plus) and write (I am a writer by profession).

Apart from that, including camera, everything else is just an added commodity for me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Will 64 GBs be sufficient for you? If so, go with the iPhone 8 Plus 64 GB model. With that being said, if you can swing an iPhone 7 Plus with the most storage for the same price or less, go with that one. If you’re not a gamer then the iPhone 7 Plus should suffice.

WHITE_QODE

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Will 64 GBs be sufficient for you? If so, go with the iPhone 8 Plus 64 GB model. With that being said, if you can swing an iPhone 7 Plus with the most storage for the same price or less, go with that one. If you’re not a gamer then the iPhone 7 Plus should suffice.

From what I have read, for someone like me, 64 is more than enough. I have about 6-7 gigs of music. Apps should be around 4-5 a well (my assumption), and the rest will be for the photos I will be taking.

I can honestly get a 7+ 128 easily, but I am honestly fearing the slow/lag Apple is causing for which it is being sued. I don't want to buy an expensive device and then face a stutter. I have an Android for that :p

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
From what I have read, for someone like me, 64 is more than enough. I have about 6-7 gigs of music. Apps should be around 4-5 a well (my assumption), and the rest will be for the photos I will be taking.

I can honestly get a 7+ 128 easily, but I am honestly fearing the slow/lag Apple is causing for which it is being sued. I don't want to buy an expensive device and then face a stutter. I have an Android for that

It’s been awhile since I’ve kept an iPhone longer than a year, but my iPhone X could be the device that I opt to keep for an additional year........If I do decide to keep it for two years, I am not worried about it running iOS 12 poorly or any lagging because I am very particular about what I keep on my device. In addition, I typically set up my device as new with each major full iOS update. I highly doubt an iPhone 7 Plus will be unable to perform greatly for you.

Last edited:

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
If you’re good with 64gb, then I’d reckon the 8 Plus.

It’s a very fast device, great camera and superb battery life.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago I was choosing between in 7+ and 8 +. I went for 8 + and I have no regrets at all. I choosed 8+ because it's a newer phone, wireless charging was a big deal for me and it's more future prof with its new processor.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The 7 Plus would be more than fine, IMO. If you could swing a 256GB 7 Plus I’d recommend that over a 64GB 8 Plus because 4x the storage is way more important to me than the 8+’s other features. The 7 Plus is still an outstanding device and will likely last 2-3 years from today.

I had two 7 Pluses and easily wish I still had them instead of the two X’s I replaced them with. It is what it is. Again, If wireless charging and the other minimal (to me) features that the 8/8 Plus have are more important than storage go for the newer device.

YMMV

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Go to the Apple website and use the compare feature. You'll be able to make a better informed decision based on your needs, and not those of anyone else in this thread.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
The 7 Plus would be more than fine, IMO. If you could swing a 256GB 7 Plus I’d recommend that over a 64GB 8 Plus because 4x the storage is way more important to me than the 8+’s other features. The 7 Plus is still an outstanding device and will likely last 2-3 years from today.

I had two 7 Pluses and easily wish I still had them instead of the two X’s I replaced them with. It is what it is. Again, If wireless charging and the other minimal (to me) features that the 8/8 Plus have are more important than storage go for the newer device.

YMMV

You don’t like the X? I have a X and 8 plus at the moment and there is for and against for both.

djrakowski

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
How long do you intend to keep the phone? You’ll most likely get an additional year of platform updates on an 8 Plus compared to a 7 Plus. Think of it as an additional year of security.

I use an 8 Plus with 64 GB of storage and I have about 12 GB left after loading my favorite music (all classical, encoded in Apple Lossless via iTunes) and tons of apps. It absolutely flies and the display is stunning -best I’ve ever used.

Having said all that, the 7 Plus is still highly capable and a bit cheaper, and I’d have no qualms in getting one today.

Good luck with your decision!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

I can honestly get a 7+ 128 easily, but I am honestly fearing the slow/lag Apple is causing for which it is being sued. I don't want to buy an expensive device and then face a stutter. I have an Android for that :p

A 7 Plus should last you quite a while. Apple is allowing the throttling feature to be disabled with iOS 11.3. It’s still in beta but should be publicly available soon. Regardless, it will likely be a few years before that’s even a concern. Even then, you’re a casual user and probably won’t notice a difference.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I can honestly get a 7+ 128 easily, but I am honestly fearing the slow/lag Apple is causing for which it is being sued.

That entire mess only dealt with older batteries. It had/has no affect on any new or refurbished phones from Apple. Going forward this will not be an issue for older devices since Apple admitted their mistake and is offering discounted new battery prices for those affected phones, and better options in the operating system in regards to the battery. Just to reiterate, new and refurbished phones by Apple do not have a battery issue. :)

Use the compare feature and get yourself a phone best suited to your needs, but also consider some of the really good advice already given in this thread.

llfloyd79

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Man I'm still battling if I should get the 8 Plus 256GB in silver. I have the 128GB 7 Plus in matte black. But still don't know if its worth the upgrade. I think I just want something newer lol.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Man I'm still battling if I should get the 8 Plus 256GB in silver. I have the 128GB 7 Plus in matte black. But still don't know if its worth the upgrade. I think I just want something newer lol.
Unless you really want the culmination of the Touch ID devices your 7+ should last a bit longer. You only live once though so perhaps you could treat yourself.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I really don't have much more to add to what has already been said here... all really good advice. I think that Sherry's suggestion of visiting the [URL="https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/#mn_p]compare page on Apple's website[/URL] and comparing makes the most sense. It all comes down to what you can afford.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Plain and simple, I upgrade just about every year for the new chip. This A11 Bionic is obviously the best yet and is the type of chip that’ll make upgrading next year not a necessity at all.

It’s why I bought the wife an iPhone 8 for Valentine’s Day since she keeps phone for years.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
It’s been awhile since I’ve kept an iPhone longer than a year, but my iPhone X could be the device that I opt to keep for an additional year........If I do decide to keep it for two years, I am not worried about it running iOS 12 poorly or any lagging because I am very particular about what I keep on my device. In addition, I typically set up my device as new with each major full iOS update. I highly doubt an iPhone 7 Plus will be unable to perform greatly for you.

I had my phone 4S since 2014. Now updating to 8+. I guess quite a difference.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73