Why I went 8 Plus

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
So I went 8 Plus because:

1. I lay my phone flat on my desk and wake it with an index fingure without picking it up.
  2. I mount my phone with a mount to my car that is too far away for Face ID to reliably work but touch ID works great.
  3. I am not a fan of the "notch". The notch brings a lack of refinement to the experience.
  4. Bezels don't bother me.
  5. I actually love the LCD panel of the 8 Plus.
  6. Additional screen real estate.
  7. Price.

Thanks for tuning in.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
The X actually has more screen: 5'8" vs 5'5".

From Forbes:

"That 5.8-inch display that’s billed as the largest on an iPhone? There’s actually a bit of marketing speak at work there. The iPhone X uses a narrower aspect ratio than the iPhone 8 Plus. This means letterbox pillars when watching 16:9 HD movies (or going full screen and living with the notch cut into the display by the TrueDepth camera). But the narrow aspect ratio means the 5.8-inch iPhone X display (which is measured diagonally) actually has a smaller area than the 5.5-inch iPhone 8 Plus.

Including the notch, the iPhone X offers 12.97 square inches of display. Take the notch out and that becomes 12.49 square inches. Some will argue it’s actually a bit smaller than those numbers because of the display’s rounded corners. The iPhone 8 Plus display is 13.04 square inches. Again, not a big difference, but take that iPhone X “biggest display” claim with a grain of salt."

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
From Forbes:

"That 5.8-inch display that’s billed as the largest on an iPhone? There’s actually a bit of marketing speak at work there. The iPhone X uses a narrower aspect ratio than the iPhone 8 Plus. This means letterbox pillars when watching 16:9 HD movies (or going full screen and living with the notch cut into the display by the TrueDepth camera). But the narrow aspect ratio means the 5.8-inch iPhone X display (which is measured diagonally) actually has a smaller area than the 5.5-inch iPhone 8 Plus.

Including the notch, the iPhone X offers 12.97 square inches of display. Take the notch out and that becomes 12.49 square inches. Some will argue it’s actually a bit smaller than those numbers because of the display’s rounded corners. The iPhone 8 Plus display is 13.04 square inches. Again, not a big difference, but take that iPhone X “biggest display” claim with a grain of salt."

Seriously, I've said it on here before and I'll say it again, but watching HD video in landscape on the X is nothing short of garbage compared to any Plus-sized model iPhone. Letterboxing and creating bezels on the phone anyway constitutes as crap in my eyes.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Congrats!
Battery life is another benefit to the 8 Plus.
I haven’t had this kind of battery life in quite a few years. I can easily finish the day off at 50+% and that’s with 5-6 hours usage.
Can’t find that kind of battery life elsewhere.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I’m very happy with mine too. Loving the build quality, A11, camera, and battery life.
Battery life is a game changer, comparing it to my previous iPhone 7.
I was happy about the 7, that lasted all day long most of the times, but the 8 Plus is just much better.
I usually ends up with 60% battery life at the end of the day, and I cant go lower than 20/30% even with intensive use.

anon(5630457)

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
I really enjoyed the iPhone 8 Plus when I had it. I would've kept it, but I much prefer the smaller form factor of wide aspect ratio devices.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
I really enjoyed the iPhone 8 Plus when I had it. I would've kept it, but I much prefer the smaller form factor of wide aspect ratio devices.

Out of curiosity why did you choose the 8 Plus instead of the 8 prior to going X if the smaller form factor was important? I assume the 8 Plus made you realize this?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro