Iphone 8 plus vs. iPhone X

chippy19977

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
I went from a 7 Plus to the X. I absolutely love Face ID as Touch ID didn’t work consistently well for me. Face ID is virtually instant and I don’t even have to think about it really. The biggest benefit is having Face ID auto fill website user ID’s and passwords if you store them in Keychain. Touch ID would do the same, but required an extra step (touching the home button) which again only worked some of the time for me personally. The X is a more fluid experience for me.

As far as the swipe gestures, I was already used to that approach with my iPad. I personally would love to see all physical buttons on the iPhone gone. Once you learn the different gestures, it becomes second nature, but it is a change with a slight learning curve.

When I upgrade my phones, I always want something redesigned, new, etc. Everyone’s preference is different though, so people should choose what will work best for their own needs.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I went from 7+ to X to 8plus, back to X, and now I am back on the 8plus. This time sticking to it. The X has a lot to love, but for me, I am hoping that there is an XL next year. I just can't quite give up Touch ID just yet. Face ID seems to be way less reliant then Touch ID for me which is weird because it seems that the people of the internet tend to disagree. Of the 2 X's I had, the screens where terrible. The 8Plus apple has had 4 years to perfect the LCD and its beautiful. I prefer it over the X. ITs has the same innards and insane battery life. Im good for a year or so.

briareos4

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
I went from 7+ to X to 8plus, back to X, and now I am back on the 8plus. This time sticking to it. The X has a lot to love, but for me, I am hoping that there is an XL next year. I just can't quite give up Touch ID just yet. Face ID seems to be way less reliant then Touch ID for me which is weird because it seems that the people of the internet tend to disagree. Of the 2 X's I had, the screens where terrible. The 8Plus apple has had 4 years to perfect the LCD and its beautiful. I prefer it over the X. ITs has the same innards and insane battery life. Im good for a year or so.

I agree about the evolution of Apples LCD. My wife has a 7+ and in comparing my 8+ to it there’s quite a bit of improvement in the color accuracy. Frankly, other than the blacker blacks Im not sure what advantages android and iPhone X OLED screens have. Certainly not better battery life. In hearing that this may be the last LCD iPhone generation I opted for the 8plus. Like you I think I’m good for a year or more.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jun 19, 2015
Visit site

I currently have iPhone 7 plus and iPhone X and I agree with you. Face ID is not reliable as touch ID for me. I might sell my iPhone X and get iPhone 8 plus.

Buckeye2009

Jan 3, 2016
Visit site

This is exactly what I did. I really wanted to like the X, but prefer the size of the 8plus.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
For me size is what mattered and keeping pretty much the same screen real estate. The cost savings will always be a factor that cannot be ignored and if size isn't a worry then I would go with what your wallet says.

Sep 26, 2017
Visit site
I currently have iPhone 7 plus and iPhone X and I agree with you. Face ID is not reliable as touch ID for me. I might sell my iPhone X and get iPhone 8 plus.

I did and I don’t regret it. Omg once you go back to Touch ID it’s like welcoming an old friend. It’s so much more reliable and convenient. Also, I love larger phones. The X was just too small and slippery for me

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I went from a 7 Plus to the X. I absolutely love Face ID as Touch ID didn’t work consistently well for me. Face ID is virtually instant and I don’t even have to think about it really. The biggest benefit is having Face ID auto fill website user ID’s and passwords if you store them in Keychain. Touch ID would do the same, but required an extra step (touching the home button) which again only worked some of the time for me personally. The X is a more fluid experience for me.

As far as the swipe gestures, I was already used to that approach with my iPad. I personally would love to see all physical buttons on the iPhone gone. Once you learn the different gestures, it becomes second nature, but it is a change with a slight learning curve.

When I upgrade my phones, I always want something redesigned, new, etc. Everyone’s preference is different though, so people should choose what will work best for their own needs.

Agreed on always wanting something redesigned. At the point, the 8 Plus is just an old phone. 3 years old to be exact since the design goes back to the 6 Plus.

garyf33

May 6, 2011
Visit site
When I went to upgrade I was all set on getting the Iphone X but after playing around with it a little and it not having the display zoom option I ended up with the 8 plus. I'm not sure why apple decided to remove the display zoom option from the X but hope it comes back in next years models.

SR45

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Back and forth with the iPhone X and 8+ and finally decided on the 8+, because it’s wider giving me more content, and the keyboard which is slightly larger. I got the 256 GB version so the price would basically be the same as the iPhone X with 64 GB. Price was not an issue. Not to mention the ongoing teething problems with the iPhone X, decided to wait it out next year for a possible upgrade and a larger version.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
There is still a lot to appreciate with the 8 Plus, not least of which is better battery life and a very mature iteration of the device. The X is new and the premium in price is mostly because it’s new and different (IMO). I like my X’s but if I had 2 x Pluses I’d like them too. In fact I miss my black 7 Plus just a bit. There was nothing wrong with it...at all.

Last edited:

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
There is still a lot to appreciate with the 8 Plus, not least of which is better battery life and a very mature iteration of the device. The is new and the premium in price is mostly because it’s new and different (IMO). I like my X’s but if I had 2 x Pluses I’d like them too. In fact I miss my black 7 Plus just a bit. There was nothing wrong with it...at all.

Agreed! I plan on using my 7 Plus as my secondary device since it’s just sitting on the shelf.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Lately I have been eyeing my wife's 6S Plus and missing my 7Plus. I do enjoy FaceID, and the OLED display and I am considering replacing it with an 8Plus and waiting it out until the rumored XPlus arrives in the fall.

EagleFox007

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Face ID is the future and milestone set by Apple. If you look at the rumored upcoming iPhones, Touch ID is no longer there. I’m not even going to comment about the speed because the difference is only milliseconds. However, I can tell you about convenience. I fight it more convenient when using an App optimized for Face ID. Opening app is a lot quicker and easier. All you need to do is open the app and Face ID will open it right away without touching your phone again. For security, one example I can think of is no one can open your phone when you’re sleeping. Your eyes has to be open and looking at the phone. With Touch ID, someone can just rest the phone on your finger without you waking up. I know this because my kids always does this to me in the past.

I’ve been a plus user since 6s plus. I don’t miss the big size screen at all. I really like the form factor of the iPhone X because it’s easy to hold in the hand. I’m not saying I will never go back to plus size in the future. I’m simply saying that changing from a plus to iPhone X size is not a big deal to me and didn’t have any issues at all. In fact, I like it so much now.

But with the price that you mentioned, it’s hard to resist getting two 8 plus for only $200 each. We all have different needs and preferences. I’m just sharing you my opinion coming from a plus users for so many years.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods