iPhone 8+ or 7+?

cntrydisney

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
My wife's phone was stolen, so she's been without a phone for the past 5 months. She's an EMT and has been using our iPad for communication. She read an article online where Kim Komando said not to get the iPhone 8+ and now is considering the 7+. https://www.komando.com/happening-now/425460/apple-has-a-huge-iphone-8-problem We'll have to pay her remaining balance off for her 6s+ and I know the 8+ has the wireless charging and the new chip but is it worth the extra compared to the 7+? She does like to take pictures so maybe the better camera in the 8+ would be a good reason to go with it? What do any of you think? She needs a phone, so should she get the 8+ or is 7+ enough?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It’s worth it to me, but it depends on your wife. If you’re going to pay for a device via a payment plan, you might as well get the latest model - the iPhone 8 Plus. If you’re going to pay for the device outright and are not concerned about the newer internals then get the iPhone 7 Plus.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I think it's worth going with the 8 Plus. I own both the 7 Plus and 8 Plus. I love both phones. But as already stated if you are paying through a plan go with the 8 Plus. Better camera, faster chip set, wireless charging and having something that will last you a few years. Thanks.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the above comments. I upgraded from a 7 Plus and there are plenty of reviewers that would say that was not a good move. They are certainly entitled to their opinion, but I’m very happy with the 8 Plus. The additional features and tweaks to the design were welcome. If you are paying over time then get the 8 Plus. There are some deals out there to get gift cards and things like that if you look around.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The 7 Plus is an awesome device. Not saying the 8 Plus isn't, but there's more buy in for that model to truly get the most out of your purchase.

Sure, the internals are beefier, but in every day use will your wife truly notice a difference? Camera quality? Tests have shown marginal differences. The biggest advantage there would be the portrait lighting feature. Would she use it enough to justify the additional cost?

Wireless charging? Yea, that's awesome. But how important is it to her? Is it worth the extra cost in the device as well as the extra expense of purchasing a wireless charger? Not to mention the fact that it's going to charge slower than plugging your phone in directly.

The 7 Plus is going to do everything the 8 will aside from wireless charging and portrait lighting. And your wife will probably notice no difference in HOW it performs those tasks. The phone is one year old. It easily has another few years worth of life left.

If money isn't an issue and she just needs the latest and greatest, get the 8. But in my opinion, the 7 is the best phone you can buy right now for the value it offers, in my opinion.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, the Komando article title is misleading. There's no problem with the device itself. The "problem" is most people already have a 6 or 7. Unless you just have to have the new chip, wireless charging or new camera effects, nobody's upgrading. I personally am hanging onto my 7 Plus a while longer for a few reasons. A few of my old Android Nexus devices had wireless charging and I never used it, so no loss there. The new line of devices unfortunately aren't compatible with Tmobile's 600 MHz band which will give much better signal inside buildings. The only thing, as a photographer, that I'd love to have is the new camera filters not he 8, but I can live without them.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I just went through this mental torment for the past few days. I have had the Pixel xl for the past few months. I pre-ordered the new 2 xl three times and cancelled it three times.

Not being able to pull the trigger was caused by the negative reports of screen problems that may or may not be software correctable. I decided that I would go back to iPhone I had had the 6s+ and the 7+ for a few months. I started to look at getting the new X but the price just caused my sphinter to pucker. I looked at the 8+, better price but compared to the 7+, not enough benefit to warrant the price for me. Found a 7+ 256GB locally for $550; $300 less than the 8+.

Happy now but am curious regarding the sales numbers for the X and 8+. Apple stopped selling the 7+ 256 so they are scared that it would affect the numbers of the 8+.

cntrydisney

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll have to show her the responses and she what she thinks, but I'm thinking she'll go with the 7+. We are on sprint, think we can find one somewhere cheap. Gazelle, eBay, or Amazon maybe? Anywhere else we should try.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll have to show her the responses and she what she thinks, but I'm thinking she'll go with the 7+. We are on sprint, think we can find one somewhere cheap. Gazelle, eBay, or Amazon maybe? Anywhere else we should try.

Swappa!

Hope your wife enjoys her new phone!

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
My wife's phone was stolen, so she's been without a phone for the past 5 months. She's an EMT and has been using our iPad for communication. She read an article online where Kim Komando said not to get the iPhone 8+ and now is considering the 7+. https://www.komando.com/happening-now/425460/apple-has-a-huge-iphone-8-problem We'll have to pay her remaining balance off for her 6s+ and I know the 8+ has the wireless charging and the new chip but is it worth the extra compared to the 7+? She does like to take pictures so maybe the better camera in the 8+ would be a good reason to go with it? What do any of you think? She needs a phone, so should she get the 8+ or is 7+ enough?

I think Ms. Komando has her head up her posterior. What a stupid article. So what if the form factor does not change, it's a valued upgrade. I know people who get a new car every year, and it looks almost exactly like the old car, but there is something new on the inside, or whatever the reason it's newer. The iPhone 8 / 8+ has the new A-11 Bionic Chip, Improved Cameras, Wireless Charging, Better Battery, etc.. if you don't want that, don't get it. However I am really sick of hearing the phone is a flop. Not everything has to sell out day-1 to be a huge success. It's a choice.. make one.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Another vote for Swappa. Never, ever sell your phone to Gazelle unless you're not looking for the value of your device.

aximtreo

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just came back to iPhone with the 7+ 256. Firstly, I had wireless charging with Windows Phones and rarely used it. Nice but not a deal breaker. Lack of Home buttor and Headphone jack keeps me off the X. the price differential between the 7+ and 8+ isn't worth it for me to get Portrait Mode.

Lastly, posted my Google XL 128 on Swappa today. Tried and true way of buying and selling phones. Highly recommend Swappa.

techgeek88

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Huge difference to me.

I went from 6 Plus to 6S Plus to 7 Plus to 8 Plus. And I noticed a huge change going to the 8 Plus from the 7 Plus.

The speed is noticeable. I mean the geek bench numbers stand for themselves. It's just completely smooth and even smoother than the 7 Plus, which wasn't/isn't a slow phone by any stretch. But the 8 Plus blows any current smartphone I've tried (all the iPhones, Note 8, Pixel 2/2XL, S8, LG V30, etc) out of the water by comparison. And speed is my number one thing I look for in a smartphone. No lag tolerance here so it's gotta be right as rain.

The camera is something I appreciate as a hardcore Instagramer/Snapchatter. Portrait Lighting is very cool, but not everyone can appreciate that. For me with just general pictures there is a small but appreciable difference.

Wireless charging, OMG, that is almost worth it alone for me. See, I normally at bedtime shut the light off, play with the phone for 30 minutes, and then put it on the Lightning Dock, fumble to get the stupid port to line up with the connector in the dark for 2 minutes, and then go to bed. Now my routine is shut the light off, play some games for 30 minutes, and set the stupid thing on the charging stand and call it a night. No more fumbling. And I want my phone upright and not just a cable so I can see my notifications first thing in the morning and the time. A cable would be easier to fumble with in the dark though than a dock, but I want it upright so I dealt with it until wireless charging.

So I don't care if it charges slow over wireless, I let it do it overnight while I'm counting sheep and it's magically to 100 percent every morning. I'm looking forward to the OTA update though for faster wireless but since my battery lasts all day there's no need to top it up mid day. Fast charging with a cable is nice though, it is a welcome addition but I find I never use it because I charge once a day and that's always overnight with the wireless charging stand.

Definitely go 8 Plus.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site

If you don’t have insurance I suggest you getting it. Covers theft and could had gotten a replacement phone. That’s nuts paying on a phone stolen and at least when u reported it it was turned into a “brick” so it can’t be activated
I always have insurance on my devices . It would be my luck to not and something happen. It’s a monthly pymt that justifies having the comfort knowing if something unfortunately happens I am covered

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'd save the money and go with the 7 Plus. The 8 Plus feels like the exact same phone both in performance and in day to day use. Once you put a case on it, you will not notice the difference unless you spend your idle time toggling True Tone on and off.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Cost vs features. Both are great devices, the 7 Plus is cheaper but comes with lower storage options. The 8's get the glass back that may not work well in an EMT's life without an OtterBox or similar case. You mgiht want to check the apple Refubished section on the 7Plus which could save you more.