Android Hyporocisy?!

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming you mean 'Hypocrisy'..? Not trying to be flip at all, it's an international community here and sometimes communication can get broken.

I mean, when the Note 7 fiasco happened, plenty of people in the Apple community had plenty to say... Why would it be different coming from the other side of the isle..?

If Apple had 76 cases would that make the situation more reasonable or something?

Yes because then there would be a bigger issue. If 70+ iPhone 8s explode than yes Apple would deserve the same scrutiny but that hasn’t happened.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You get that on both sides of the fence and like others have said, an exploding phone is an exploding phone. Samsung caught a ton of heat for this last year, so expect apple to face similar heat (no pun intended)

Does Apple really deserve the same amount of criticism as Samsung? There’s a big difference between a battery swelling and a battery exploding and catching fire. We are not seeing reports of exploding iPhones.

Last edited:

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Why would anyone watch his videos and up his paid view count? Even with ad blockers (even if he ops for no ads in his vids), why support him by upping his view count at all?

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
No Note 7s "exploded". Ever. They overheated and melted. Huge difference.

That is always a risk with having a big battery in a small device. If the battery is defective, it could get ugly.

The Note 7 episode did NOT get "swept under the rug". It was huge news. What planet are you living on?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
No Note 7s "exploded". Ever. They overheated and melted. Huge difference.

That is always a risk with having a big battery in a small device. If the battery is defective, it could get ugly.

The Note 7 episode did NOT get "swept under the rug". It was huge news. What planet are you living on?

Who are you directing that towards? I didn’t mean to say the Note 7 stuff got brushed under the rug but that with anything that happens whether it be with the Pixel 2 removing the headphone jack or the displays on the V30 being the most recent.

My whole point is it seems that Android OEMs get away with murder whereas Apple gets scrutinized or made fun for the stupidest things like the removal of the headphone jack but then Google does the same thing this year but nobody makes nary a peep.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
38 seconds in.

https://youtu.be/a5W19Spmw8Q?t=38s

There's other vids out there like the one 38 seconds in, but I'll let you search for them if you're interested.

This is exactly what I’m talking about. You can’t possibly say this is the same as the 10 swelling iPhone 8 batteries that have been reported. Maybe “exploding” is a harsh term but smoking and catching fire is definitely a much bigger issue than what we’re currently seeing.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
When the story makes it to CNET or better yet the Verge then I will entertain it. I trust those companies as neutral tech agencies. But that’s my opinion I’m sure there are people who won’t agree with that.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
That is still not an "explosion". That is a puff of smoke. The bag was intact, the contents were intact. An actual explosion would mean physical damage.

Look, I realize how serious this issue was. I am not trying to downplay it. But I have yet to see a phone turned into shrapnel from an actual explosion.

Phones aren't lined with C-4. Do you actually think for a second that billions of these devices would be sold to consumers if there was the SLIGHTEST chance of an explosion?

ScottsoNJ

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I am an android convert. Believe me. Android problems do not get swept under a rug. It also depends on what phone it is. The "flagships" all get extra scrutiny. When comparing problems between say a Galaxy Note and a Galaxy Grand Prime the Note problems will always be magnified. Cost and models available also factor in very highly. I'm sure Apple problems seem like prejudice but I think it's because Apple only has 2 or 3 models a year. People will always be more interested in problems on an $850 phone as opposed to a $150 phone.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I was part of the Note 7 debacle. Mine didn’t explode but the entire issue was very frustrating. I chose to take a Note 5 but switched to Apple due to issues on promise not kept by Samsung. I haven’t looked back . I don’t hate Samsung but I don’t care to use Android and Samsung anymore.
People are going to rant.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73