Potential Android Convert. Help Please haha?

ShaneB26

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
Hey all,
I'm sure there has been a ton of these posts over the past month but I need some advice as I have the Pixel XL 2 pre ordered but am considering cancelling to get an 8+. I don't really have a desire for the X.

Basically why I keep buying Android and talking myself out of Apple is I am super invested in the Google ecosystem. Google drive, Google calendar, Google play music & books and the Pixel C tablet. But I have for a while been wanting to switch to iOS.

The main reasons for switching are the smoothness of the operating system I keep hearing about, iMessage, a change of pace, the yearly upgrade instead of every other and the Apple watch (which I would not be getting for a while $$$) haha.

I know this is the iPhone sub so I am expecting all positive about the iPhone, but I'm hoping other people here had my same concerns and have an opinion on the potential switch.

Thanks

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I switch a lot. I had the Note 8 for a month and ordered the pixel 2 XL. I ended up switching back to the 8 plus. I have always had all my info sync to google. Use google calendar. Mail and drive. It syncs easy with the iPhone as well.

For me it’s iMessage. Although text works just fine all my family and friends use iPhones. My group threads always get screwed up. Use what works best for you. The Note 8 and Pixel are great phones for sure. Nothing wrong with Android. I use it all the time.

For me I always end up back on iOS. It’s is indeed smooth. Works flawlessly. Build quality is great. I think you’ll be happy. The 8 plus has been great for me so far. No complaints.

WebOS-Refugee

Oct 7, 2017
Visit site
For me it's ALL about the battery life. I don't know if it's the hardware of the iPhone or the magic of iOS or some combination of the two, but Android just doesn't even compare to the consistency, reliability, and predicability of the iPhone battery. I've only ever had the 8 plus and only for the last two weeks, but it's really amazed me.

For some reason traveling always killed my Android battery (most recently the Nexus 6p), but not the iPhone. I was on a business trip last week, and it just chugged right through very heavy usage with no problems at all and no panic that the phone was going to die when I needed it most.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I am 61 and have been around the smartphone industry for a while and started with Blackberry OS, then Android and IOS and even dabbed in Windows mobile for a bit.

They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but I am not trying to put IOS on a pedestal, but it just works. You don’t have crashes and apps that stop working and so on.

You have to get the OS you feel most comfortable with. I will say my favorite OS was Blackberry OS10 and the gesture concept which worked well until the app support stopped and eventually Blackberry gave up on the OS.

IOS apps seem to be more polished then it’s Android variants but that’s just my opinion. I will say that updates on IOS are much better distributed and managed then Android and for me that’s a plus in today’s fast paced industry.

Last but not least is the warranty support which Apple is second to none. You have the Genius Bar at you local Apple store and also having the option of getting Apple + on your new device is great.

In the end I would recommend you trying IOS and asking as many questions as you feel will get you the warm and fuzzy feeling to make the switch. Hopes it helps with your decision.

PS: Welcome to iMore and enjoy our great community.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I go back and forth a lot dependent on my mood and the Google apps have helped immensely in making each transition quick and painless.

I'm also in agreement with how polished the apps are on iOS vs Android, as it's one of the things that keeps on bringing me back.

I'm currently sporting the iPhone 8 Plus, but was heartily tempted to jump on the Panda Pixel. Maybe once the hype has died down I'll be able to have a look at one. I like technology in general, and don't really have a bias against either operating system...but I've been hanging with Apple for a good while. They both have their merits, and pit falls.

Welcome to iMore!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I used Android for many years after leaving Blackberry OS. Samsung was my vice and after the debacle decided to take my Brother’s suggestion and try Apple. I use the iPad at work so not completely novice to Apple.
I must say I like it. I made the complete change. Hey. I am a Gemini and some things hold true to the Gemini in me. I make a switch I do it big. They work flawlessly together. Battery life is amazing. Apple is good releasing updates in a timely manner. SECURUTY is good as well. I have the 7+ and love it. I have played with the 8+ and it’s in the back of my mind. But not switching out anytime soon.
My apps are much smoother than on Android. IOS 11 was wonky to be honest. But the latest update has helped
It won’t hurt u to try Apple. I think you will like it a lot

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,
I'm sure there has been a ton of these posts over the past month but I need some advice as I have the Pixel XL 2 pre ordered but am considering cancelling to get an 8+. I don't really have a desire for the X.

Basically why I keep buying Android and talking myself out of Apple is I am super invested in the Google ecosystem. Google drive, Google calendar, Google play music & books and the Pixel C tablet. But I have for a while been wanting to switch to iOS.

The main reasons for switching are the smoothness of the operating system I keep hearing about, iMessage, a change of pace, the yearly upgrade instead of every other and the Apple watch (which I would not be getting for a while $$$) haha.

I know this is the iPhone sub so I am expecting all positive about the iPhone, but I'm hoping other people here had my same concerns and have an opinion on the potential switch.

Thanks

I use both Android and iOS reguarly. Typing this from my note 8. Most of the Android apps you listed are legitimately better on iOS. With very few exceptions.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I switched from Android to iPhone in January of 2016 and have never once looked back. It was the best decision I've ever made.

1: Regular updates far beyond 2 years of owning the device. Apple supports its devices for many years, unlike Google. If their flagship gets an update, their old devices get the same update at the same time. Security patches are typically immediate. No waiting for months like with Android.

2: Unlike Android devices, mobile carriers are not allowed to add bloatware to their branded iPhones. You get the pure Apple experience regardless of whether or not you buy an unlocked phone or a branded carrier phone. Plus, you have the option to un-install most, but not all, of the apps that come with the phone.

3: Google apps look better and work better on an iPhone. I know that sounds weird, but it's true.

4: More options for cool cases. ;)

5: Performing backups, factory resetting, and reinstalling from backup is FAR FAR FAR less painful on an iPhone. It's insane how easy it is. The bit that takes the longest for me is syncing all of my music (over 4k songs) back onto my phone.

6: Apple takes security and privacy pretty seriously. Some get annoyed with Apple's walled garden, but I feel safer being inside of it than I ever did with Google. I also no longer feel the need to jailbreak (root) my iPhone like I did with every one of my Android devices. I am content with iOS just the way it is.

7: Battery life. OMG, soooo much better on an iPhone!!!

There is a bit of a learning curve when you get your first iPhone and you'll miss some things (like the app drawer and widgets on the homescreen), but it won't take long before you'll find you don't miss them anymore. The only thing that I've kept from my days with Android are all of my gmail accounts. I've had them since gmail was in beta, years before the Android came about. I've also let go of the Google Calendar as I find the iCloud Calendar to be superior (personal preference of course).

My only regret is that I didn't make the switch sooner.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to iMore!

I have switched back and forth on a couple of occasions. I currently own the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus. I am for the most part an iOS user. Both platforms though have their strengths and weakness. I have always preferred iOS though as it has always worked better for me. Don't get me wrong I do like the android platform for the app options which tend to have more available at a cheaper cost plus I love the customization factor of the android platform.

I prefer Messages app of the iPhone over androids hands down. So much easier to send photos and videos. Really like the camera of the 8 Plus. Battery life is great. Phone form feels great in the hand. Highest quality build. Things just work as they should. Apple does better with its updates.

I use Google apps almost exclusively on my iPhone and they work flawlessly.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I’ve gone between Android, Blackberry, and iOS many times. Just before Blackberry 10 it became just iOS and Android. I love both OS’s, however I still prefer iOS. It may not be the flashiest, most customizable, feature riddled OS, but it usually just works. Yes, you’ve heard it before and read it in this thread already, but it’s true. As others have said, I also believe the apps seem better on iOS. Cleaner at least. As far as your Google concerns, you can sync with Google just fine and use nearly 100% of Google services on iOS. What keeps me with iOS though is the fluidity of iOS, the stock Apple keyboard (I believe it to be the best on screen keyboard), timely app updates, app releases, software updates, etc. you just get things quickly and consistently. I won’t tell you to switch to iOS if you’ve only used Android, that’s a choice you have to make on your own. Both OS’s have their strengths and weaknesses, iOS is just the best fit for me.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Honestly I would easily suggest  of the past. Current apple? Mmmmmmm its a pretty strong stay on Android for me.

They're both pretty much even. They last about the same (s8,note 8, LG,pixel,iPhones). Some apps are better on Android, some are better on ios. Ios 11 is a buggy peice of hot garbage. Android 7 is meh.

They're so similar in retrospective, you can easily be happy with either honestly. At the end of the day it's a phone. If you're able to I would suggest get an android and get an iPhone.

P.S.- apple's customer service isn't what it used to be anymore also. Depending on where you live you either get good service or bad service. The app boasts the same.

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
Honestly I would easily suggest  of the past. Current apple? Mmmmmmm its a pretty strong stay on Android for me.

They're both pretty much even. They last about the same (s8,note 8, LG,pixel,iPhones). Some apps are better on Android, some are better on ios. Ios 11 is a buggy peice of hot garbage. Android 7 is meh.

They're so similar in retrospective, you can easily be happy with either honestly. At the end of the day it's a phone. If you're able to I would suggest get an android and get an iPhone.

P.S.- apple's customer service isn't what it used to be anymore also. Depending on where you live you either get good service or bad service. The app boasts the same.

It’s all subjective I guess...?
If you want poor customer service then I’d recommend getting a Samsung, their after sales support is almost non-existent unless you’re lucky enough to live near one of their very few stores. They almost always want the phone posted to them which means no phone for several days. With Apple, you have the choice of many stores, if one is bad I go to a different one as within close range to me I can get to at least 4 Apple stores. Personally I haven’t experienced much bad service at a store, always helpful, and I usually walk out with the issue fixed and/or the phone replaced.

As for which OS is better, that’s completely subjective as what works for one might not work for another. I don’t think one is particularly better than the other, I’ve used both and like both for different reasons. My relationship with Apple and iOS though always continues even after going to Android for a while, I put it down to the ecosystem and the fact most of my friends and family all use Apple devices, there is no better way to communicate than iMessage especially when you have other Apple devices, they sync up brilliantly and allow continuous conversation whichever device you’re on.

Will I get a Pixel XL 2 or and iPhone X? Probably! First and foremost I love tech, I’m no fanboy, I just want all the new devices!! is also like to try the v30, nice looking handset.

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Hey all,

Basically why I keep buying Android and talking myself out of Apple is I am super invested in the Google ecosystem. Google drive, Google calendar, Google play music & books and the Pixel C tablet.

I have noticed Google apps for iPhone are better than on Android. There is not one Google app I use that is not available from Google for iOS.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
All those apps work better on iOS, for some reason. So you’re golden!

You can go ahead and cancel that Pixel 2 XL pre-order, now. You’ll have more bang for your buck with the 8 Plus anyways.

You’re welcome :p

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I’m also heavily invested in the Google ecosystem, but I have zero issues using all my Google apps on iOS.

So true. All of Google’s top apps are available for iOS and many would argue they work better on iOS than on Android. Apple, on the other hand, makes hardly anything available on Android.

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
So true. All of Google’s top apps are available for iOS and many would argue they work better on iOS than on Android. Apple, on the other hand, makes hardly anything available on Android.

Probably for quality reasons?! Have you tried Apple Music on Android? It’s terrible! 🤣

They would have the same issue as devs do creating apps for Android, all those different screen sizes, OS versions, chipsets.... must be a nightmare! Wouldn’t be surprised if Google found it much easier to develop for iOS hence why they’re generally thought of as more polished on iOS

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2016
Visit site

I noticed a few changes since my brief run on iOS last year. Google Photos now automatically backs up without having to open the app (awesome!!!), and they have Google Opinion Rewards on iOS now too. Rewards doesn't give Play Store credit though, only a $2.00 PayPal payout when you get enough surveys completed :(

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner