iPhone design

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
This is my first Apple phone. I’ve been a Samsung user for a few years and BlackBerry before that. Since I have an iPad Pro 10.5 and a MacBook Pro, I decided to try iPhone out. Just got the 8 Plus yesterday and I’m impressed with it. I really didn’t think I’d find a phone that impressed me because I thought the Note 7 was the best I’d ever used. We all know how that ended. Anyway, I’m liking this 8 Plus very much.

Same here with me.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
It’s about even for me, I have 90% accuracy on my iPhone 8 and had 90% accuracy on my late note 8.

The 8 design is very outdated but Apple fans don’t really seem to care much. The 8/8+ is still selling....albeit not very well

And how do u know it’s not selling well? I have a really good friend who is a mgr at a corporate Verizon and she told me it’s selling very well.
These phones are going to sell.

For me to be interested in the X it needs to be more refined and larger. That notch bugs me. Not a fan of FaceID

Only_David

Nov 16, 2017
Visit site
I definitely agree with Sherry_B. With my small hands, I would never have an iPhone without a case and thus couldn't care less about the design. In fact in a month or so I doubt if I could even tell you what color my iPhone 8 is. It's not going to happen, but if all future iPhones had the same with-bezel face I would be just fine with that.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
And how do u know it’s not selling well? I have a really good friend who is a mgr at a corporate Verizon and she told me it’s selling very well.
These phones are going to sell.

For me to be interested in the X it needs to be more refined and larger. That notch bugs me. Not a fan of FaceID

Pre-Orders indicate how well a product will generally do. Most stores had plenty of stock, the only store that got back ordered was Verizon but that took days...not minutes like the 6s or the 7. Even X preorders were a bit disappointing. X took awhile to sell out too. Sure, we can say oh apple had more supply...nah, ALL companies keep preorder stock low to build hype and the hype wasn't there. Sure it will sell well but 6s or 7 well? Probably not.

The x is pretty but I honestly just have a hard time stomaching stock ios.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I actually don't care that it's not a new design since I always have a case on the phone. I also don't care about the bezel, since when I'm viewing my phone I am looking at the viewable screen and don't notice the bezel anyway.

I don't think I've ever looked at someone's phone at thought "that's an ugly phone!". But I have looked at cases and through "omg, what were they thinking" LOL.

I care. The iPhone 8 Plus form factor is terrible. The phone is way too wide. It's a very heavy smartphone. The bezels are too big. The design isn't just about what the back of the phone looks like with a case on - that's a very superficial way of looking at it ;-) A case actually makes the ergonomics worse, because it makes the phone:

1. Heavier
2. Taller
3. Even Wider

No reasonable person looks at anyone's phone and thinks it's ugly, because they don't care what anyone else's phone looks like. I'm not paying for their phone, so I only care that the purchase I'm making is a fit ergonomic and aesthetic choice for myself. What the rest of the world buys is their own business. I want to feel like I got my money's worth when I look at my phone...

Not like I traded my phone in for an exchange iPhone 6 Plus.

Apple tries to brand their devices like luxury fashion accessories these days... Not sure how anyone would feel if Manolo Blahnik trotted out basically the same shoe design on the runway 4 years in a row. My guess is that people would be over it at that point, and it would be panned by almost everyone.

If that's the road they wish to take, then they need to get their "vision" in line with their rhetoric.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I do not.

The iPhone 8 Plus form factor is terrible.

Not for me.

The phone is way too wide.

Not for me.

It's a very heavy smartphone.

Heh. I'm a mom. I carried two babies on my hip and in my arms for quite some time. They weigh much more than a cell phone. If I began whining about how heavy they were people would tell me, well, they'd tell me to stop whining.

The bezels are too big.

Not for me.

The design isn't just about what the back of the phone looks like with a case on - that's a very superficial way of looking at it ;-)

That would mean that I care about what the phone looks like. I don't.

A case actually makes the ergonomics worse, because it makes the phone:

For you, not for me.

I only care that the purchase I'm making is a fit ergonomic and aesthetic choice for myself. What the rest of the world buys is their own business.

Same here. I posted about what I like and what I care/don't care about, not what anyone else likes or cares about because like you said, what the rest of the world buys is their own business.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I always like when people say the phone is heavy. Seriously. It’s a phone. How heavy can it be. It’s not a cinder block. “HEAVY”. Lol. Cracks me up every time. It’s not just Apple users. Even android users. A new device comes out and all of of sudden the old one was so heavy. Lol

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I type with one hand only. Holding with my right hand. Very comfortable. Doesn’t feel heavy to me in a case. Feels good in my hand. Love the screen real estate. Not boring or ugly in my opinion.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I always like when people say the phone is heavy. Seriously. It’s a phone. How heavy can it be. It’s not a cinder block. “HEAVY”. Lol. Cracks me up every time. It’s not just Apple users. Even android users. A new device comes out and all of of sudden the old one was so heavy. Lol

I'm late here. But just wanted to add that people complain when the phone gets lighter and sacrifices battery then they complain about it getting "heavier".

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I like the feel of the anodized AL back most but think all the top tier phones have good designs. I set up and handle many via my work and admit to liking rounded edges and the Apple home button.

I'm guessing (hoping) I'll like face recognition more in a next generation just like I recall my iPhone 6 fingerprint reader was not as good as what followed.

The phones and tablets are mature products so to be honest I don't know how designs can or will change much.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
After reading a lot of these and owning a couple X’s I can say that that having an 8 Plus would be nice too. I may try to get a new one later this year...last of a breed and all that.

X0LARIUM

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Slight perspective shift: It is not that people don't like the design. It is that the design hasn't changed much which is irking people. While the scamsung devices have taken all possible shapes and sizes, the iPhone hasn't pushed the envelope too far. Also, one reason for this that Steve Jobs was so ahead of his times, he makes sense even today, in 2018.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I have an iPhone X and love it, but still uses and love my 7 Plus design, as well. I really think it's design is pretty much dated, but when I use it and realize it is actually much thinner than my X, I can't stop thinking there's something wrong with the X design... Maybe Apple fix it this year, justifying another thousand plus dollars phone with a few millimeters less on its thickness.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

To know about a have phone my 1940 rotary phone is one heavy puppy. Made of all steel. Almost too heavy to pick up with one hand.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I type with one hand only. Holding with my right hand. Very comfortable. Doesn’t feel heavy to me in a case. Feels good in my hand. Love the screen real estate. Not boring or ugly in my opinion.

Exactly what I do and always have done. On my desktop computers and my typewriters al well. Never learned touch typing. Me mush look at the keyboard when typing. Or I wylll (on purpose) create many typing mistakes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro