Scratches already

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It’s quite possible the scratch is a hairline scratch of the oleophobic coating and not actually a scratch of the glass.

Still, bummer though.

If it walks like a duck and it sounds like a duck...

Durability tests are almost useless BTW. They don't really test the way phones are handled in real life .

They're fun, but not much beyond that.

Strongest glass on a phone says that it resists breaks better, not "necessarily" that it resists scratches better.

Gorilla Glass 4, I believe, was stronger than 3 at resisting breaks while being worse at resisting scratches.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
My husband has the SE, tiny little iPhone. He likes the small form factor because it fits so well in his pocket. No screen protector, and not a single scratch. I keep telling him one day it's gonna happen. I don't know how he has managed to go for this long without a single scratch. When he takes the case off of the phone and wipes it down, it looks like it just came brand new out of the box.

I had a Galaxy Note 3 for about 18 mo. and never got a scratch. No screen protector. I've never gotten a scratch on a screen, but generally I use tempered glass protectors on iPhone. Not sure why I didn't have one on that Note. Maybe I didn't want to pay Verizon and just decided not to Amazon one.

When I went to trade not in, the Verizon worker couldn't believe how mint the phone was.

I now buy phones outright so I can sell them myself. They're usually in such good shape that giving them back to the carrier is effectively giving money away.

Nothing zaps value like scratches - especially on the display.

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
If it walks like a duck and it sounds like a duck...

Durability tests are almost useless BTW. They don't really test the way phones are handled in real life .

They're fun, but not much beyond that.

Strongest glass on a phone says that it resists breaks better, not "necessarily" that it resists scratches better.

Gorilla Glass 4, I believe, was stronger than 3 at resisting breaks while being worse at resisting scratches.

Very true. And all it takes is a little piece of dirt in the pocket to scratch the screen. And sometimes the strong, break resistant glass is actually a bit softer, making it more easily scratched.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
There are some light scratches on the back of my ip8. I have a ballistic glass screen protector on it the front. I certainly don’t like even the lightest of scratches on my iPhone but it always happens to anything with glass that goes in my pocket. I will bet that no matter how careful you are or scratch free your iPhone is (front or back) there is some light scratches you don’t see unless you look closely. They are there.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There are some light scratches on the back of my ip8. I have a ballistic glass screen protector on it the front. I certainly don’t like even the lightest of scratches on my iPhone but it always happens to anything with glass that goes in my pocket. I will bet that no matter how careful you are or scratch free your iPhone is (front or back) there is some light scratches you don’t see unless you look closely. They are there.

I can assure you that “at this time”, there are no scratches, light or otherwise, on my iPhone 8....

alexrat1996

May 18, 2016
Visit site
Apple store installed glass on mine but mine started to show bubble after weeks of use Apple store told me to contact Belkin for replacement then bring it back to install again

KingGrimlock

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I don't have any scratches yet. However, one thing to note: I currently have the space gray (my previous iPhone was silver), and it appears to be attracting a significantly large amount of dust, debris, and random crap I have in my pocket (and office drawers) more than my previous iPhone ever did, which I'm afraid will eventually leave a scratch somewhere. I don't know if it's because I'm not used to a dark phone, but I find myself checking the phone's surface at different angles under direct light to see if there are any scratches.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any scratches yet. However, one thing to note: I currently have the space gray (my previous iPhone was silver), and it appears to be attracting a significantly large amount of dust, debris, and random crap I have in my pocket (and office drawers) more than my previous iPhone ever did, which I'm afraid will eventually leave a scratch somewhere. I don't know if it's because I'm not used to a dark phone, but I find myself checking the phone's surface at different angles under direct light to see if there are any scratches.

If you have to look under direct light at all angles to see scratches they’re negligible. Each year we have threads with people and brand new phones looking for scratches and other issues instead of just enjoying the phone.

I don’t know how a different color would attract more lint but could just be more noticeable with that color. Are you using a different case?

KingGrimlock

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
If you have to look under direct light at all angles to see scratches they’re negligible. Each year we have threads with people and brand new phones looking for scratches and other issues instead of just enjoying the phone.

I don’t know how a different color would attract more lint but could just be more noticeable with that color. Are you using a different case?

I admit I’m being paranoid. And you’re right about lint and dust being more noticeable due to the color more than anything. This happens to me every new phone. After a couple of weeks, I’m more relaxed. But to answer your question, the cases I’m using seem to be more loose than my iPhone 6 Plus cases.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I admit I’m being paranoid. And you’re right about lint and dust being more noticeable due to the color more than anything. This happens to me every new phone. After a couple of weeks, I’m more relaxed. But to answer your question, the cases I’m using seem to be more loose than my iPhone 6 Plus cases.

Exactly my point :) It's like a new car... you obsess over it and then when you get that first scratch you're bummed but you get over it. Then it's out of the way and you don't worry about it so much.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR