Scratches already

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone else already seen scratches on their device?

I had to order a screen protector I will get it on the 6th. It kind of upsetting that my phone is either on my desk at work, in my pocket, or ima a table at home. And still manages to get scratched even with the hardest glass on a phone lol.

Doesn’t mean I don’t love the phone but it is a bummer that’s for sure.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

The second I peel off the protective layer that comes installed on a new iPhone, I immediately slip a tempered glass protector on the screen. The only time my screen does not have a protector is while I am changing protectors. Sorry that happened to you, it's a shame... :-(

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
The second I peel off the protective layer that comes installed on a new iPhone, I immediately slip a tempered glass protector on the screen. The only time my screen does not have a protector is while I am changing protectors. Sorry that happened to you, it's a shame... :-(

Thanks! I should of known it would still scratch easy. I just figured being the strongest glass and watching the durability test that normal use it would be fine. Oh well!

nnahorski

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I should of known it would still scratch easy. I just figured being the strongest glass and watching the durability test that normal use it would be fine. Oh well!

It’s quite possible the scratch is a hairline scratch of the oleophobic coating and not actually a scratch of the glass.

Still, bummer though.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I had to order a screen protector I will get it on the 6th. It kind of upsetting that my phone is either on my desk at work, in my pocket, or ima a table at home. And still manages to get scratched even with the hardest glass on a phone lol.

Doesn’t mean I don’t love the phone but it is a bummer that’s for sure.

There isn’t a scratch, ding, crack, nip, chip, scrape or any other damage on my iPhone 8 and I don’t have a case or a screen protector on it.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
But Apple said it was the strongest glass on any smartphone. Nothing is that good, I alway put a tempered glass screen protector on mine. Its better to scratch a $8 screen cover than a $150 display.

MooMooPrincess

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
But Apple said it was the strongest glass on any smartphone. Nothing is that good, I alway put a tempered glass screen protector on mine. Its better to scratch a $8 screen cover than a $150 display.
Stronger glass = stronger on drops, softer overall so it scratches easier. It's a catch 22

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Nothing but smudges here - no case or screen protector - either on my desk, cupholder in my van or pocket

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It’s quite possible the scratch is a hairline scratch of the oleophobic coating and not actually a scratch of the glass.

This is my thought as well, I'd put a screen protector on it now and you shouldn't notice it. Happened to my 5 when I decided to go without one out of the box. Less than a week.

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
We buy our iPhones in the Apple store. Before they leave the store, we have the Belkin anti-glare glare screen Protectors installed. Better safe than sorry, and almost no fingerprints; easier to view the screen in direct sunlight.

bailbrae

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Mine has a really deep scratch. I can feel it with my nail. Buuuuut, I dropped it. Story of my life. I drop it daily. Doesn't matter what type of case I have it in, it hits the ground on the regular. <eyeroll> Having said that, I do have AppleCare so I will just deal with it until I can't any longer, or I really do some damage, then I will get it fixed. I want to get on the screen protector bandwagon, but I hate them. Even the tempered glass ones. Yes, they are super clear and great, but I can't stand the way they feel around the home button. :/

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes that's the biggest reason why I can't use them either!
That and the constant lifting near the edges.
My original watch edition has a sapphire crystal and been worn and used hard!
It's as flawless as the day I got it. Can't say that for the SS case though.
If they used the same material for the front and back of the iphones, it would be great indeed!

Chronoman

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
Couple of things: I remember when things like a phone or a camera were long-term investment type purchases. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore, as tech advances seem to drive us to replace devices frequently. However, we still want to "protect or preserve" them as if we were going to keep them for life.

The second point I want to make is about the glass screen protectors. I purchased one for my 6s, and while I like the look of it, it disappointed in performance, as it chipped around the top edges. I finally peeled it off, and use a Case Mate wallet to hold the phone and my credit cards.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have had my 8 plus since launch day naked and it is as pristine today as it was when I took it out of the box. I take it with me everywhere including the gym where I put if down on benches and the floor.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Stronger glass = stronger on drops, softer overall so it scratches easier. It's a catch 22

From the tests I've seen, this is essentially a new version of Gorilla Glass, maybe 6, though more likely 5.1. Apple says they worked with Corning (who makes Gorilla Glass) to make it the strongest glass in a smartphone -- meaning it is just an improved version of Gorilla Glass. From YouTube videos, such as JerryRigEverything, it is roughly as resistance to scratches as Gorilla Glass 5 is.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
My husband has the SE, tiny little iPhone. He likes the small form factor because it fits so well in his pocket. No screen protector, and not a single scratch. I keep telling him one day it's gonna happen. I don't know how he has managed to go for this long without a single scratch. When he takes the case off of the phone and wipes it down, it looks like it just came brand new out of the box.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black and Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus. Not a single mark on any of the phones I own. All are in cases and have screen protectors. Been lucky or smart not sure which one.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox