iPhone 8 Plus Oleophobic Coating Missing on Part of Screen!

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
So after a few days I notice a patch of what appears to be greasy finger print smear. I wipe it down with a microfiber only to find it's still showing the next day!

After a thorough cleaning it appears to be gone. Nope, it returns in a few hours of use.

I try the water test of dripping a few drops and sure enough the area that's affected has no coating!

Never had this happen before.

I picked up my 8+ at the Apple Store. I really don't want to go through making an appointment for this. Can't I just walk in to do an exchange/return?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So after a few days I notice a patch of what appears to be greasy finger print smear. I wipe it down with a microfiber only to find it's still showing the next day!

After a thorough cleaning it appears to be gone. Nope, it returns in a few hours of use.

I try the water test of dripping a few drops and sure enough the area that's affected has no coating!

Never had this happen before.

I picked up my 8+ at the Apple Store. I really don't want to go through making an appointment for this. Can't I just walk in to do an exchange/return?

If you don't make an appointment you could (could) be waiting hours, or rejected outright and told to make an appointment and come back. It's a roll of the dice.

rosullivan04

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site
I had the exact same thing happen to my 8 Plus; had never seen this before. Approx. 2CM of the left side had a strip of the coating missing. I exchanged it as defective, but had to explain over and over what was wrong with it.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My understanding is you should be able to return/exchange without an appointment. You should only need an appointment, at the Genius Bar, if you want it replaced under warranty. In my mind, you are far better exchanging the phone for a new one, within the return period, than getting a warranty replacement.

Taylor Cowan

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I am also experiencing issues with the coating on the lower half of my screen! it seems as though the screen retains oils from your fingers and its doesn't wipe off easily with a micro fibre. i have to sit and really polish the screen.

rdef

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
My 8+ has this as well. Bottom 1 inch of screen.

Update: returned mine. Got a new one. Much better.

Last edited:

chrisoldroyd

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have this issue which has just appeared, about the size of a thumb print just to the righto of the camera. Making an appointment as I can't put up with it

Cheers
Chris

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73