iPhone 8 / 8 Plus cases - your old case won't fit as designed!

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Can you please check if the lip is the same with the 8plus case as it is with the case for 7 plus? I have an obsession tonight :)) i don’t know if i should wait for the new cases to appear or buy one made for 7 plus...

You may have a long wait, I doubt many if any companies will retool for such a small change. I don't expect to see anything new that is exactly right for the 8PLUS anytime soon if at all.

ab06deg1

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I’m thinking to wait for the Apple cases for 8 plus, those who have 8 plus written in the case :) maybe is my imagination this smaller lip, but if I give 60€ for one case at least it would be usefull to know if they are exactly the same as those for 7 plus... I’m only talking about the Apple cases.
I didn’t found anywhere an Apple case for 8 plus, only today the phone was launched in my country

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
My Evutec (an Apple store exclusive) fits the best out of the bunch. Button tactile-ness still very good. The only difference I can see is the speaker cutout at the bottom is no longer centered.

Cases that would be universally compatible would tend to be those with oversized cutouts. Check the buttons and mute switch though. There is no rule of certainty here for sure.

The best way to solve this problem is return the phone and get the X. :cool:

My Note 8 will be fine until November. ;)

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I’m thinking to wait for the Apple cases for 8 plus, those who have 8 plus written in the case :) maybe is my imagination this smaller lip, but if I give 60€ for one case at least it would be usefull to know if they are exactly the same as those for 7 plus... I’m only talking about the Apple cases.
I didn’t found anywhere an Apple case for 8 plus, only today the phone was launched in my country

Expect a very long wait.. may never happen. As I mentioned above, I doubt companies are going to retool to fit the 8+ when then have inventory on the 7+ and are making new cases for the X. As the person above mentioned, return your 8+ and get the X if you want a case to fit a new model.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
You may have a long wait, I doubt many if any companies will retool for such a small change. I don't expect to see anything new that is exactly right for the 8PLUS anytime soon if at all.

I'm going to disagree with you. Spigen, just one example, has a few brand new cases for the 8 Plus. When I open a browser window in my left monitor of 7 Plus cases, and another browser window on my second monitor with 8 Plus cases... I see a few new cases. Some have the same name but are tagged with "2" plus have additional kickstands added that weren't on the cases for the 7 Plus. There's some that look identical, but have very subtle differences if you look closely.

All of the stores that I've walked into have 7 and 7 Plus cases on clearance, meaning new stock of brand new cases machined for the 8's are coming in.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to disagree with you. Spigen, just one example, has a few brand new cases for the 8 Plus. When I open a browser window in my left monitor of 7 Plus cases, and another browser window on my second monitor with 8 Plus cases... I see a few new cases. Some have the same name but are tagged with "2" plus have additional kickstands added that weren't on the cases for the 7 Plus. There's some that look identical, but have very subtle differences if you look closely.

All of the stores that I've walked into have 7 and 7 Plus cases on clearance, meaning new stock of brand new cases machined for the 8's are coming in.

Ok, every one I see for the 8-Plus show it's also for the 7-Plus >> Spigen Neo Hybrid Crystal [2nd Generation] iPhone 8 Plus Case / iPhone 7 Plus Case with Clear Casing and Hard Bumper Frame for Apple << sample.. but heck, I am happy to be wrong and hopefully they're different.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Of course they’ll fit, since the phones are almost identical in size.

You stated none of the case companies are manufacturing new cases for the 8/Plus and that’s the part I disagree with. Unless you have some insider knowledge the rest of us aren’t privy to?

JML5150

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: iPhone 8 / 8 Plus cases - your old case won't work!

I'm using a 7 Plus case on my 8 Plus phone. The night I bought my 8 I stopped at Target and bought a cheapie case (Speck) to hold me over until I can get a really good case. It fits snug, but it does fit.

How is Speck a "cheapie" case? What's your definition of a "good" case?

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site

No they don't. You said perfectly and I assure you this is impossible due to the fact the newer phone has larger dimensions than the ones it was designed for. Fits <> fits perfectly. None of the cases I've tried don't actually fit. None of them fit perfectly either. A few are actually unusable due to buttons not working or popping off with the slightest force on corner...

No, actually, all the cases I have fit PERFECTLY. I know what the words means.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

How is Speck a "cheapie" case? What's your definition of a "good" case?

The case I purchased was on clearance, and the case just makes the phone look pretty. My personal definition of a good case, what matters to me, first and foremost I want protection and if it looks good then all the more reason for me to consider it a good case.

Keep in mind though, everyone has their own definition of what a good case would be for them. For my needs, Speck isn't that brand.

dirtyraxxx

Oct 1, 2017
Visit site
While awaiting my 8 Plus case I wanted to use my old 7 Plus Apple Leather Saddle Brown. Has anyone encountered any issues while using their 7 Plus leather on their new 8 Plus?

ab06deg1

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
i wouldn't call it an issue, but the ring/silent switch is a little harder to reach. In the photo attached is my gold 8 plus vs my black 7 plus in a apple leather case for 7 plus.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 17.14.36.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-09-30 at 17.14.36.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 3

davidjr2011

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok so my Otterbox defender series does fit but not perfectly the screen protecter part is not touching the screen 100% which can cause certain areas of the screen to less sensitive to touch. Some areas you have to press down harder then some , it gets annoying fast!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
While awaiting my 8 Plus case I wanted to use my old 7 Plus Apple Leather Saddle Brown. Has anyone encountered any issues while using their 7 Plus leather on their new 8 Plus?

It’s hard to turn mute switch from on to off. Otherwise it’s fits ok. Just a little tight.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
It seems the new color leather cases are actually cut for the 8 plus. I got the purple one (can’t recall the actual name) and it centers the mute switch perfectly.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I just got a leather case from Sena and it fits perfectly. Plenty of room to adjust the ring/silent switch.