iPhone 8 / 8 Plus cases - your old case won't fit as designed!

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok that may sound a bit frightening because they generally will but!!!

I'm finding a lot of my 7+ cases that fit (my 7+) perfectly are having issues with my 8+.

The TUMI (canvas) is completely unusable. The buttons won't work at all.

The Spigen slim case I have isn't right, the camera cutout is a bit off. Remember these cases are designed to fit something that's fractions of a millimeter smaller than our new phones. They stretch and fit but the fit is off. So a $50 case you expect a PERFECT fit now has the fitment of some $1.99 case from Hong Kong. Not good!

Even worse is it may come off allowing damage when dropped.

The Apple Leather and Silicone cases seem to be OK, a bit tight though. And speaking of tightness...

If a case was very tight to begin with on the 7, be warned on the 8 it may be REALLY hard to remove without damaging the case or the phone!

My advice is reuse for now to get by but plan to purchase a case that was designed for the 8 series exclusively.

Manufacturers using the same tooled case and updating their packaging to include the 8 series should be avoided!

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone 8 / 8 Plus cases - your old case won't work!

Thanks for the tip.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

I tested my Apple leather cases (3 of them) on the 8 Plus and they all fit perfectly. The additional thickness of the 8 series phones is minimal and as long as the case has a bit of tolerance then you will be ok. For instance the Peel and Scarf cases I have will not work.

But then again the 8 plus is so beautiful and glassy that I am not using a case ??????

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

I think the 8 Plus is 0.04 or 0.4 mm thicker. Therefore snug fitting cases probably won't work as well.

I've been nude of a case since I bought mine though, but I'll definitely keep this in mind!

Thanks for the tip!

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

I'm using a 7 Plus case on my 8 Plus phone. The night I bought my 8 I stopped at Target and bought a cheapie case (Speck) to hold me over until I can get a really good case. It fits snug, but it does fit.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

My Tech21 and UAG cases both fit with no problem, but I can see something like a Peel case not working since it molds so closely with the phone.

I’ve been going caseless around the office and house since I got it yesterday. I’m really pleasantly surprised at how much better this phone feels. I thought I liked the way the 7 Plus felt, but the 8 Plus is on another level.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

I have no idea why they say the cases don't work. I have used 3 cases for the 7+ on my 8+ and all the buttons work fine. The apple on the back (if the case has a cutout) is a bit off. Using the Apple Silicone now, fits fine.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 8 / 8 Plus cases - your old case won't work!

I think it depends on the case. I remember Lifeproof having to issue some separate water-resistant cases for the 6s because of the smallest increase in thickness compared to the 6. Most iPhone 7 cases should fit an iPhone 8 but there are bound to be exceptions.

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site

Ok that may sound a bit frightening because they generally will but!!!

I'm finding a lot of my 7+ cases that fit (my 7+) perfectly are having issues with my 8+.

The TUMI (canvas) is completely unusable. The buttons won't work at all.

The Spigen slim case I have isn't right, the camera cutout is a bit off. Remember these cases are designed to fit something that's fractions of a millimeter smaller than our new phones. They stretch and fit but the fit is off. So a $50 case you expect a PERFECT fit now has the fitment of some $1.99 case from Hong Kong. Not good!

Even worse is it may come off allowing damage when dropped.

The Apple Leather and Silicone cases seem to be OK, a bit tight though. And speaking of tightness...

If a case was very tight to begin with on the 7, be warned on the 8 it may be REALLY hard to remove without damaging the case or the phone!

My advice is reuse for now to get by but plan to purchase a case that was designed for the 8 series exclusively.

Manufacturers using the same tooled case and updating their packaging to include the 8 series should be avoided!

My Apple silicone cases work just fine. Actually all my cases fit, but the cutout is off on a few so I’m with you there. I sent a pic to one manufacturer and they’re sending me a different case...without the cutout. Apparently Apple repositioned the logo.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I was afraid my Speck glitter case wouldn’t work but it did.
My leather cases were fine.

MizWylie

Champion
Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

I was afraid my Speck glitter case wouldn’t work but it did.
My leather cases were fine.

My Speck glitter case was a really really tight fit on my 7 Plus. I'm not going to try and force it on my 8 Plus. Glad it works for you though! It's definitely one of my favorites! Might have to just order another one and see if the fit is different.

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site

The Apple OEM leather case off of my iPhone 7 Plus worked just fine on my 8 plus.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site

All 10 of the 7 Plus cases I have fit the 8 Plus perfectly. Should change the thread title.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site

No they don't. You said perfectly and I assure you this is impossible due to the fact the newer phone has larger dimensions than the ones it was designed for. Fits <> fits perfectly. None of the cases I've tried don't actually fit. None of them fit perfectly either. A few are actually unusable due to buttons not working or popping off with the slightest force on corner...

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

No they don't. You said perfectly and I assure you this is impossible due to the fact the newer phone has larger dimensions than the ones it was designed for. Fits <> fits perfectly. None of the cases I've tried don't actually fit. None of them fit perfectly either. A few are actually unusable due to buttons not working or popping off with the slightest force on corner...

I think maybe you should return the 8-Plus and get a 7-Plus so you no longer have to put up with the ill fitting cases. Will make your life much better, and reduce some of your anger. Good luck.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
The point here is that everyone should be aware of these issues.
Especially given this device now has front and black glass. The drop ratings on cases published are completely invalidated by the increased dimensions. So even if it fits perfectly [sic], you may wind up sorely disappointed when it falls from your clutches at five feet onto pavement and the black glass shatters because the drop rating of the case has been compromised by a tighter fit.

This scenario of course isn't guaranteed but with a device this expensive why risk it either?

That's all I'm saying.

And the thin cases that don't provide much protection may not fit as designed or even damage the phone when removed due to the tighter fit. Even the apple cases with inner felt lining potentially could succumb to this scenario.

The differences are measurable and demonstrably visible when compared side by side.

There is no anger other than the fact companies will simply sit on their laurels and update packaging without retooling for a new line to save money whilst charging top tier premium price on a piece of resin molded in PRC.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The point here is that everyone should be aware of these issues..

Your heading then is wrong.. at least in my opinion. I think most if not all cases will fit as designed. It's like saying all shoes size 9 will fit all size 9 feet. It fits, they don't fall off, there are no sliding.. the biggest issue I have personally seen is the apple on the back does not match up if there is a punch out in back. You make it sound like there is a conspiracy going on regarding cases and not fitting.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
My apple leather cases for my 7 plus do work but it has issues though. The mute switch is off line. I have a hard time changing it from sound on to mute. I do have an 8 plus leather case and they made the opening much wider for the slight shift in the 8 plus mute switch. Also, it’s fits very tight. The case doesn’t pop on as easy.

ab06deg1

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Can you please check if the lip is the same with the 8plus case as it is with the case for 7 plus? I have an obsession tonight :)) i don’t know if i should wait for the new cases to appear or buy one made for 7 plus...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative