For my previous iPhones, I used to charge to 100% in the morning and top up if low when going out for the evening.
    Now that I have a wireless charging mat, it is tempting just to pop the iPhone on it for quick top ups, whenever I’m home.
    Is this a good idea, or will it be detrimental to the battery in the long term?
    09-26-2017 04:08 AM
    I would personally top it off whenever I can, especially with wireless charging.
    CepenPark likes this.
    09-26-2017 04:21 AM
    Charge the phone when you want, it does not hurt the battery. Mine stays on a charger most of the time when I am at home.
    CepenPark and Tartarus like this.
    09-26-2017 04:23 AM
    Charge the phone when you want, it does not hurt the battery. Mine stays on a charger most of the time when I am at home.
    Technically speaking batteries lose capacity over time. If you charge more often, it will wear out faster. It is better to charge from 40% that from 0.

If you want to keep your phone past 2 years, this would matter more. If not it isn’t something to be obsessive about.

The phone won’t ever overcharge past 100% and it does try to preserve battery life (not charge) when plugged in for long periods of time by not always charging.

My kids use and charge a lot more than I do. After one year it is obvious it has impacted battery capacity.

So there are lots of factors. In the end charging does wear the battery down. It just may not matter for many users.

For me, the wireless charging allows me more conscientious charging as I know I’ll always have charging opportunities during the day and don’t have to leave it charging overnight.
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-26-2017 05:38 AM
    If you charge more often, it will wear out faster.

A common misconception.

Explaining the Do's and Don'ts of Battery Charging - Battery University

BU-809: How to Maximize Runtime – Battery University
    John Yester likes this.
    09-26-2017 06:41 AM
    And yet this article disagrees. (Thanks for the links).

Why You Shouldn't Charge Your Mobile Phone Overnight - TIME
    https://apple.news/AEXe1Eyj8RtOHcAp-...RtOHcAp--5jC5Q
    09-26-2017 07:01 AM
    And yet this article disagrees. (Thanks for the links).

Why You Shouldn't Charge Your Mobile Phone Overnight - TIME
    https://apple.news/AEXe1Eyj8RtOHcAp-...RtOHcAp--5jC5Q

Somehow I doubt a journalist for Time Magazine knows more about lithium ion batteries than the guy who owns Cadex Electronics (that's all they do is batteries).

http://www.cadex.com/en
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-26-2017 07:08 AM
    Somehow I doubt a journalist for Time Magazine knows more about lithium ion batteries than the guy who owns Cadex Electronics (that's all they do is batteries).

http://www.cadex.com/en
    It’s my understanding that modern batteries don’t suffer from the level memory so to speak, that they used to. Like if you didn’t use and recharge a laptop occasionally it didn’t last long once you went on battery. Or how in older batteries you should go to 0 before charging. That stuff wasn’t a myth. It was older tech.

You use something more. It wears out more quickly. It just makes sense and is my personal experience.
    09-26-2017 08:15 AM
    I don’t worry about my iPhone’s battery wearing out.
    I intend to go to the  Store when my phone is like 23 months old and ask for a battery replacement for €89.
    I intend to give this phone to my by then 16 year old nephew and don’t want him to suffer from a worn out battery.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    09-26-2017 08:28 AM
    For my previous iPhones, I used to charge to 100% in the morning and top up if low when going out for the evening.
    Now that I have a wireless charging mat, it is tempting just to pop the iPhone on it for quick top ups, whenever I’m home.
    Is this a good idea, or will it be detrimental to the battery in the long term?
    It'll be fine to top it off. Batteries can handle that. I top off my Note 8 whenever I can.
    Sherry_B likes this.
    09-26-2017 08:37 AM