My wife has the iPhone 6 due for an upgrade. She is not a techie like i am. Is the $150 difference worth it going to an 8+rather than 7+?
    09-25-2017 04:00 PM
    It’s worth it to ‘me’. Having said that, did you ask your wife what she preferred? I mean just because she’s not a techie doesn’t mean she won’t wonder why you didn’t upgrade her device to the latest non iPhone X model. Will it make her feel as if she isn’t worth it?
    Annie_8plus, Jude526 and tadpoles like this.
    09-25-2017 06:32 PM
    The 8 Plus has some new features, but probably nothing she would notice not having on the 7 Plus. I still enjoy my 6s Plus, and my wife loves her 7. My wife would never notice the difference between the 7 and 8. As long as iMessage, Facebook, and Pinterest works, she's good to go. LOL
    09-25-2017 06:39 PM
    It’s worth it in my opinion.
    Faster processor, wireless charging, true tone, and so much more!
    09-25-2017 06:53 PM
    I had the opportunity to upgrade to the 8+ when I gave my daughter my matte black 7+. I bought a product red 7+ instead. In my opinion it isn’t worth it. But the buyers have to decide for themselves.
    09-25-2017 07:24 PM
    My wife has the iPhone 6 due for an upgrade. She is not a techie like i am. Is the $150 difference worth it going to an 8+rather than 7+?
    I have to say I was just in the T-Mobile store and I was completely underwhelmed. I held my 7 Plus next to the 8 Plus and I could see no difference. The 8 Plus seemed no faster in performance, the screens looked the same (I set the same background and display settings.

Also, I expected to see that they were long since out of stock but they were not. They had just sold the last Plus (they started with 4) and they still had the smaller 8 models (they started with 8 on hand) so they aren't flying off the shelf.

Seriously, I hear the glass backs on the 8 series crack rather easily. I am not sure at all that I would recommend the more expensive 8. Faster CPU, yes, but the 7 Plus CPU is as fast as any current top of the line Android phone. Just my 2 cents. Save the money.
    09-25-2017 08:52 PM
    Based on prior experience in buying am iPad that is not the latestpdel, the main stickingpoint was OS upgrades in the next few years.

I feel though the processor in the 7+ should still be good enough for the next 3 years correct?
    09-25-2017 10:59 PM
    The differences between the 7 Plus and the 8 Plus are not things that you can easily notice. The speed, which is considerable, isn't something you notice in a casual perusal. The camera has a better sensor, and it processes photos better -- again, something you can't see when just doing a cursory inspection. It also is capable of better LTE speeds and signal -- because of an improved modem, which supports LTE-Advanced, as well as the glass back. And, of course, there is the wireless charging.

Now, saying all this, it isn't as though the 7 Plus is a bad phone -- it is fast, it takes good pictures, etc. It's a personal decision and, for some people, it may even depend on how much value they put on the look of the new colors/glass back.
    roystreet likes this.
    09-25-2017 11:52 PM
    I had a 7 plus the only reason I got the 8 was because I’m on iPhone forever and for the same price per month and 0$ down I’d rather have the best out. I didn’t want the X because it’s lack of the finger print scanner.
    Jude526 likes this.
    09-25-2017 11:57 PM
    Based on prior experience in buying am iPad that is not the latestpdel, the main stickingpoint was OS upgrades in the next few years.

I feel though the processor in the 7+ should still be good enough for the next 3 years correct?
    It will be.
    But it’s always better to have the latest and greatest if you want to it to last for a few years.
    09-26-2017 04:35 AM

For her, going from a 6 to an 8 Plus will be a huge upgrade. For me personally, my hubby received lots of kisses, hugs, adoring looks, and snuggles for getting the 8 Plus for me instead of the older 7 Plus. I appreciate his generosity more than he'll ever know.
    09-26-2017 07:01 AM
    For her, going from a 6 to an 8 Plus will be a huge upgrade. For me personally, my hubby received lots of kisses, hugs, adoring looks, and snuggles for getting the 8 Plus for me instead of the older 7 Plus. I appreciate his generosity more than he'll ever know.
    Nyaw!
    That’s so sweet of him.
    Sherry_B and Jude526 like this.
    09-26-2017 07:05 AM
    I think if she is not in need of the latest and greatest, the 7+ is still a heck of a device and will easily last another 2+ years.
    09-26-2017 07:27 PM
    Even going from the 6 to the 7+ would be a huge upgrade.
    Jude526 likes this.
    09-26-2017 07:27 PM
    Even going from the 6 to the 7+ would be a huge upgrade.
    For sure!
    I noticed significant improvements even from the 6s.
    09-26-2017 07:55 PM
    For sure!
    I noticed significant improvements even from the 6s.

That's good to hear.

Maybe i can use the $150 for apple care instead.
    09-26-2017 10:20 PM
    That's good to hear.

I never tried Apple Care.
    I tend to spend that money on a tempered glass screen protector as well as cases.
    09-26-2017 10:49 PM
    That's good to hear.

If the phone is still working and there's no internal hardware issues, you can use it for a trade-in at the Apple store. Don't worry too much about scratches on the outside from normal ware and tear, since their refurbs automatically get a new outer shell and new battery. The highest trade-in value for the 6 is currently $145 USD. (I got $200 for my 6s towards my 8 Plus.)

If you use her 6 as a trade-in, they'll help her move all of her stuff over from the 6 to her new phone. Be sure you perform a full iCloud backup at home of the 6 before you go so that they'll have everything on her 6 to put on her new phone (messages, call history, etc).
    09-27-2017 02:26 AM
    The 8+ would be a good investment if you like the current styling of iPhone if the 10 is the way of apples future. The 8 an 8+ maybe a dying breed but perfectly happy with my matte black 256gb 7 plus more then enough I’ll ever need.
    09-27-2017 11:08 AM
    If you're buying and she's not concerned about which phone it is, then it seems pretty worth it to you to save $150
    libra89 likes this.
    09-27-2017 01:28 PM
    Future proof. If it was a $500 difference, that's one thing. But if you are gonna spend this much money anyway, I would just get the latest phone and be able to skip an upgrade down the road.
    That70sGAdawg likes this.
    10-01-2017 10:45 AM
    IMO iPhone 7/7+ or iPhone X. Save your money and don't bother with the 8 Models, unless you absolutely have to have 256GB storage in a phone.

Camer upgrade is very small , especially on the Plus.

Processor upgrade literally doesn't matter, to be frank. It's practically ignorable, and you won't notice the difference between an 8 and 8+

I'm an athlete and use my iPhone all the time for recording HFR video. I'm not buying an 8+ for the 240 FPS 1080p. It isn't even necessary, and the video is upscaled from a lower resolution; so I expect it to look worse than the 120 FPS, meaning I would never use it, anyways. All these smartphones upscaled the HFR video - you need a real camera to capture full quality at those resolutions.

The higher the GPS (above 60) the lower the native resolution and the more details you lose in the video. So nothing above 120 is usable - to me, anyways.

I think I might go with the Google Pixel 2 XL for a year. I'll likely have a spare iPhone 6 Plus to use to access those apps/services, so it won't completely break my workflow. I tend to make sure I keep app libraries across Windows and MacOS equivalent in capabilities, so I can easily just Boot Camp Windows on my Mac and nothing major will change. My laptop is already on Windows.

Next year the "Normal iPhone" shouldn't look like 3 year old devices.

I meant see a reason to get the 8+ except to have one not the best models - but no one bill notice (even you will struggle to ).
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 10-07-2017 at 12:01 AM.
    WHITE_QODE likes this.
    10-06-2017 11:33 PM
    Future proof. If it was a $500 difference, that's one thing. But if you are gonna spend this much money anyway, I would just get the latest phone and be able to skip an upgrade down the road.
    Getting the 7 won't impede your ability to "skip an upgrade down the road." Smartphones don't have the practical lifespan of a PC, nor are they used non the same way - so the future proof argument is really, really weak IMO.

People buy powerful PC hardware because they can upgrade their HDD/SSD, RAM, GPU, Display, and maybe even CPU in the future. This makes the higher initial cost worth it because you pay way less in the future to upgrade the machine.

They do this for gaming. Vidéo editing. 3D Modeling. Software development. Et cetera.

None of these things are done on mobile devices in the way they are done on desktop/notebook hardware running desktop operating systems. The idea of future proofing a smartphone is a bit of a running joke, and a fallacy.

Especially so, when the companies developing them can attempt to brute force upgrades by limiting otherwise capable functionality to the latest models. Apple doesn't care how powerful your hardware is when they want to sell a new phone that looks just like it, and decide to limit certain features to it to make differentiate it from existing (cheaper) devices that would otherwise give identical user experience. Benchmarks only matter in their very narrow context.

So, no mobile device is truly future proof. The knot device that came anywhere close to that was the HTC HD2, and know on the software side. Companies generally won't allow them to be. The entire idea is contrary to their business model. We always upgrade for that reason, but it never works out this way.

If the devices were truly future proof, then people would see little reason to upgrade.

I stead, they justify it every year or two by telling themselves the same tall tale that you're parenting here.
    10-07-2017 12:07 AM
    Getting the 7 won't impede your ability to "skip an upgrade down the road." Smartphones don't have the practical lifespan of a PC, nor are they used non the same way - so the future proof argument is really, really weak IMO.

People buy powerful PC hardware because they can upgrade their HDD/SSD, RAM, GPU, Display, and maybe even CPU in the future. This makes the higher initial cost worth it because you pay way less in the future to upgrade the machine.

They do this for gaming. Vidéo editing. 3D Modeling. Software development. Et cetera.

None of these things are done on mobile devices in the way they are done on desktop/notebook hardware running desktop operating systems. The idea of future proofing a smartphone is a bit of a running joke, and a fallacy.

Especially so, when the companies developing them can attempt to brute force upgrades by limiting otherwise capable functionality to the latest models. Apple doesn't care how powerful your hardware is when they want to sell a new phone that looks just like it, and decide to limit certain features to it to make differentiate it from existing (cheaper) devices that would otherwise give identical user experience. Benchmarks only matter in their very narrow context.

So, no mobile device is truly future proof. The knot device that came anywhere close to that was the HTC HD2, and know on the software side. Companies generally won't allow them to be. The entire idea is contrary to their business model. We always upgrade for that reason, but it never works out this way.

If the devices were truly future proof, then people would see little reason to upgrade.

I stead, they justify it every year or two by telling themselves the same tall tale that you're parenting here.
    Don't be a Literal Larry here... haha

Nothing is future proof, but buying the latest one, when it's only a $150 difference, buys you more time than buying a phone that is already a generation behind... It's not uncommon for Apple to update iOS and intentionally withhold features that the old phone is perfectly capable of running, just to force people to update...

No, the phone isn't much difference than the 7, but it also isn't much different than the 6, etc...

Most new iphones are small incremental updates, barely better than the one before...
    10-07-2017 06:48 AM
    IMO iPhone 7/7+ or iPhone X. Save your money and don't bother with the 8 Models, unless you absolutely have to have 256GB storage in a phone.

Camer upgrade is very small , especially on the Plus.

Processor upgrade literally doesn't matter, to be frank. It's practically ignorable, and you won't notice the difference between an 8 and 8+

I'm an athlete and use my iPhone all the time for recording HFR video. I'm not buying an 8+ for the 240 FPS 1080p. It isn't even necessary, and the video is upscaled from a lower resolution; so I expect it to look worse than the 120 FPS, meaning I would never use it, anyways. All these smartphones upscaled the HFR video - you need a real camera to capture full quality at those resolutions.

The higher the GPS (above 60) the lower the native resolution and the more details you lose in the video. So nothing above 120 is usable - to me, anyways.

I think I might go with the Google Pixel 2 XL for a year. I'll likely have a spare iPhone 6 Plus to use to access those apps/services, so it won't completely break my workflow. I tend to make sure I keep app libraries across Windows and MacOS equivalent in capabilities, so I can easily just Boot Camp Windows on my Mac and nothing major will change. My laptop is already on Windows.

Next year the "Normal iPhone" shouldn't look like 3 year old devices.

I meant see a reason to get the 8+ except to have one not the best models - but no one bill notice (even you will struggle to ������).
    The Pixel 2 XL looks incredible. Better screen, and the best camera ever fitted to a smartphone.

Also, Google Lens and some of the AI and Machine Learning that Google is now pushing out to their devices, is light years ahead of what Apple or anyone else is doing. Google is on a whole other level when it comes to that stuff...

I am enjoying my 8+ for now, but I am anticipating that I will be selling it as soon as I can get my hands on a Pixel 2 XL... There isn't anything else on the market like it.
    10-07-2017 06:58 AM
60 123