App Store Keeps Crashing

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Got my 8 Plus this morning direct from Apple. Space gray, 256GB Verizon model.

-- Set up as new.
-- Connected it iTunes on my MacBook Pro, added all my music and tones, no problem.
-- However, while attempting to re-download my apps using the new App Store in iOS 11, it keeps crashing back to the home screen. Can't get through about five downloads without it crashing back.
-- Didn't do this on my 7 Plus, which has been running iOS 11 for weeks now.

Anybody else running into this issue?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Last night I bought the exact same phone as you (although in gold), directly from the Apple store at my local mall. Also running iOS 11 for several weeks on my previous phone. I did a restore over wifi and am not having any crashes from the app store.

Try a hard reset by quickly pressing the volume up key, then quickly pressing the volume down key, then holding down the Power button for 10 seconds or until you see the Apple logo. Allow the phone to reboot. If that doesn't fix it, try factory resetting again without restoring from any backups. I know the latter will be a pain in the rear, but you want to rule out system file corruption. If it's still happening after that then chances are good you found a bug in the app store.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Was in a chat with Apple Support for over 90 minutes last night. They tried a lot of things, and it's still happening. Has been escalated and they will get back to me by Thursday. In the meantime, I'm doing a complete restore through iTunes (not through iOS 11), since I wasn't really that far along with the phone anyway. Fingers crossed.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
As a datapoint, I have the same exact phone. No issues with the App Store app. Setup with the new automated option, and then used a just completed iTunes backup from my now retired to backup phone duties 6S+.

Suggest turning on Settings\Privacy\Analytics\Share iPhone & Watch Analytics. This way I think Apple will get updates about apps that are crashing and similar data.

Last edited:

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
As a datapoint, I have the same exact phone. No issues with the App Store app. Setup with the new automated option, and then used a just completed iTunes backup from my now retired to backup phone duties 6S+.

Suggest turning on Settings\Privacy\Analytics\Share iPhone & Watch Analytics. This way I think Apple will get updates about apps that are crashing and similar data.

Thanks man. All that was done (analytics) last night during my chat. The rep collected all the data he could and went through a boatload of steps to fix this. Unfortunately, even after TWO complete wipes the issue persists. And, as an added bonus, the damn thing makes alert noises for no reason now! Appears I got myself a lemon. It happens. Headed to the Apple Store for a replacement device shortly.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Also, as a datapoint, we have five others devices in the house currently running iOS 11 - an iPhone SE, 6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus and iPad Pro 9.7. None of those devices are experiencing this. So I'm pretty confident it's just a lemon.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks man. All that was done (analytics) last night during my chat. The rep collected all the data he could and went through a boatload of steps to fix this. Unfortunately, even after TWO complete wipes the issue persists. And, as an added bonus, the damn thing makes alert noises for no reason now! Appears I got myself a lemon. It happens. Headed to the Apple Store for a replacement device shortly.

Sorry to hear this, but at least you can take solace that Apple is doing what appears to be a great job in taking care of you. Please let us know if the ghost alert noises stop. I thought I heard them on my 6S+ after updating to iOS 11, and now the same on the 8+. Could just be stuff for new apps/features that I have yet to triangulate.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Also, as a datapoint, we have five others devices in the house currently running iOS 11 - an iPhone SE, 6S Plus, 7, 7 Plus and iPad Pro 9.7. None of those devices are experiencing this. So I'm pretty confident it's just a lemon.

Yeah, I agree you have a lemon. Just switch it out and move forward with life...

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear this, but at least you can take solace that Apple is doing what appears to be a great job in taking care of you. Please let us know if the ghost alert noises stop. I thought I heard them on my 6S+ after updating to iOS 11, and now the same on the 8+. Could just be stuff for new apps/features that I have yet to triangulate.

Will do. No "ghost alert noises" - I like that! - on our other devices that I've heard.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yup. No biggie, these things happen. The five of us have been an iPhone family since the 3G and this is the first lemon.

I had that last year with my iPhone 7.. 2-days on the phone with Apple, tests and downloads of data, direct contact with 3rd level support, they decided it's best to get me new phone. Sadly where I was living last year was 120 miles from an Apple store, so they sent me one FedEx overnight.

sangs

Trusted Member
Sep 18, 2009
Visit site

Got a replacement phone this morning. Same model.

-- App Store crashes when downloading through the previously purchased section of Updates, when you click on your name and choose from the apps you've previously downloaded;
-- App Store does NOT crash when downloading through the main door of the App Store;
-- Ghost Alert Noises are happening with more frequency than previous phone.

Definitely seems to be some software issues happening. Hope for a quick update.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Got a replacement phone this morning. Same model.

-- App Store crashes when downloading through the previously purchased section of Updates, when you click on your name and choose from the apps you've previously downloaded;
-- App Store does NOT crash when downloading through the main door of the App Store;
-- Ghost Alert Noises are happening with more frequency than previous phone.

Definitely seems to be some software issues happening. Hope for a quick update.

Have the exactly the same problem

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Have the exactly the same problem

Have you tried Reset All Settings? I don't see where anyone has. May or may not work, but worth a shot.
Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

Easycure1974

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried Reset All Settings? I don't see where anyone has. May or may not work, but worth a shot.
Reset All Settings
Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

Have tried that and factory reset but still there. It often helps logging out of AppStore. I can go to my bought apps and download some of them and then it crashes. Then I have to log out and back in again and can download some more

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Have tried that and factory reset but still there. It often helps logging out of AppStore. I can go to my bought apps and download some of them and then it crashes. Then I have to log out and back in again and can download some more

Have you called Apple Support to see what they say?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods