Mainly an iPhone user, currently on a Note 8, and strongly considering coming back. I love most of what the Note 8 does, but Google Assistant is killing a lot of the enjoyment for me. I find it interesting because it seems to be the opinion of many that Google Assistant is superior to Siri but for me it's just the opposite. When connected via Bluetooth to my car, Siri trounces Google Assistant. I can only get GA to wake up some of the time even though I set up the trusted voice function but Siri works every time. I guess your mileage may vary, but I'll take Siri over GA any day.
    I use my phone a lot in the car to call and text and for the sake of safety I do so hands free and GA isn't allowing me to do that where Siri always did.
    I think my mind is made up. I just have to decide if I want the 7 plus or the 8 plus.
    I’d say go for the 8 Plus or the X.
    TheLegoJoker likes this.
    10-01-2017 10:57 PM
    Mainly an iPhone user, currently on a Note 8, and strongly considering coming back. I love most of what the Note 8 does, but Google Assistant is killing a lot of the enjoyment for me. I find it interesting because it seems to be the opinion of many that Google Assistant is superior to Siri but for me it's just the opposite. When connected via Bluetooth to my car, Siri trounces Google Assistant. I can only get GA to wake up some of the time even though I set up the trusted voice function but Siri works every time. I guess your mileage may vary, but I'll take Siri over GA any day.
    I use my phone a lot in the car to call and text and for the sake of safety I do so hands free and GA isn't allowing me to do that where Siri always did.
    I think my mind is made up. I just have to decide if I want the 7 plus or the 8 plus.
    Yeah, I mean, a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

Little things I notice... Like in the car... With Android Auto, if I press my trucks screen while music is playing and hit the phone button, the music keeps playing and I can see my recent calls, favorites, keypad options, etc... If I decide to use voice commands, I hit the mic button on the screen or on my steering wheel. Then it cuts the music and asks me what I want.

On the iPhone, when I am listening to music and I hit the phone button, Siri automatically cuts the music and I have to click past that screen to go to Favorites or recents or whatever, at which points the music comes back on.

Little things like that annoy me. Not deal breakers, but sometimes in trying to make things so *****-proof, you go over a line and it becomes counter-productive...

And that's the biggest difference, I think, between the two platforms...

One side delivers their product like an appliance. Here it is, and here is the list of things that you are allowed to do, and how you must do them.

The other side is like, "Meh... you can do all that, plus whatever you want. It's up to you, including the ability to mess something up"...

A lot of people prefer the first, but power users tend to prefer the latter(Android).
    10-02-2017 09:24 AM
    Welcome to iMore, and to Apple! The cookies are better on this side... they taste like apple fritters.

Enjoy your new iPhone!
    Jude526 likes this.
    10-04-2017 03:25 AM
    Glad everything went well with your switch. I’ve went back and forth over the years with both systems. I always find myself coming back to iPhone though. Like you, my wife and kids all have iPhones. We also have iPads, a iMac and MacBook Pro. Safe to say we’re pretty well invested in the iOS ecosystem. Work issues me a Galaxy S6 so I still get my Android fix. I recently tried to switch back to the dark side with the Note 8. Great phone with an awesome display. However I took it back after 10 days. Mainly because it had issues connecting to the factory stereo in the car. Sure I could have used an Aux cable but I like to be able to keep my phone in a dock while driving and leave it connected by USB for steering wheel control due to the hands free laws in California. My iPhone has never had any problems.
    10-21-2017 01:22 PM
    Easy transition I switched awhile ago, download a few Google apps from app store sign in and you'll find all your stored info. The iPhone is a very good Google phone.
    I agree I’ve had my iPhone a year now and always had Android before. I’m amazed that so many Google apps, including Gmail, work better on my iPhone. I’ve been very happy with it.
    Jude526 likes this.
    10-21-2017 11:32 PM
    I don't find them to work better on the iPhone, ever. Most of them work ok, but it's not as integrated and good as running them on an Android device. And some apps like Netflix, trying to stream to a chromecast device, are horribly buggy on my iPhone...
    10-22-2017 08:42 AM
31 12