I planned on restoring from backup since I haven't had any issues with my current phone but the Apple store guy insisted I start from nothing "since its a new device".

Any merit to this? I'd rather not sit for three hours redoing all my settings.
    09-22-2017 05:00 AM
    For iPhone not usually. I never had a issue. With Android I always start fresh.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-22-2017 06:57 AM
    I have a backup of my old phone saved on iTunes already, just waiting for my 8 Plus to show up so I can do a restore.
    09-22-2017 08:47 AM
    I've restored from backup the last 3 years and it went really well. No issues and everything was set. I do iCloud backups vs iTunes backups, so my music and my iBooks and everything stay the same (I have everything on separate external drives and to add them back via iTunes would be a pain).
    09-22-2017 09:27 AM
    Just a heads up, for those getting new phones, there is a new way of setting up your new iPhone. Basically, you put your new iPhone next to your old iPhone and it starts the process -- signing you into Apple and setting up WiFi (at least from what I recall of the process). After that it gives the traditional options to set up as new, restore from iCloud/iTunes backup, etc. It appears to be a nice and easy process.
    09-22-2017 10:07 AM
    Just a heads up, for those getting new phones, there is a new way of setting up your new iPhone. Basically, you put your new iPhone next to your old iPhone and it starts the process -- signing you into Apple and setting up WiFi (at least from what I recall of the process). After that it gives the traditional options to set up as new, restore from iCloud/iTunes backup, etc. It appears to be a nice and easy process.
    I just used that method to setup my new Silver 8+. I coincidentally had the 7+ near to the 8+ when I started it up. I saw the message pop-up on my 7+ and decided to give it a shot. Worked flawlessly, even giving me the option to cutover my AW from my 7+ to the 8+.

Reminded me of my Andriod days. Yeah Apple.
    09-23-2017 01:21 AM
    I planned on restoring from backup since I haven't had any issues with my current phone but the Apple store guy insisted I start from nothing "since its a new device".

I’m a big believer of setting up a new device as new and I honestly believe it has kept me from experiencing many of the issues others have. Of course I don’t have any proof of that. I restored my brand new iPhone 8 from my last iCloud backup due to time constraints, but make no mistake about it, I will be setting it up as a new device later today or tomorrow. Anyway, to answer your question, I’d say the yes, based on my experience over the years, but it’s not necessary.
    olliegrl likes this.
    09-23-2017 07:19 AM

The only reason you have to "Set up as NEW" is if you find there are "buggy issues" with the restore. If you currently have no issues, and you find you still have no issues, restore from backup. Some people love a clean start. I was forced to do it with the 7 last year, due to an issue with a bad app, but Apple Support could not tell "which app" so I had to start over, it took all frickin day.
    09-23-2017 11:15 AM