OK, please forgive the stupid question, but I haven't had to setup a new phone since the 6+.

I plan to pre-order the 8+, but unlike all my other iPhone upgrades, this time I only want to transfer contacts, music, and photos to the new phone. I plan to pick & choose what apps I really use, and install those manually.

Any info on how to accomplish this is much appreciated!
    09-13-2017 12:32 PM
    If you use iCloud for contacts and photo library the only thing you need it's to log in into your account on the new iPhone and it's done. Otherwise you can consider an App like iMazing that allow you to pick only the stuff you need from a backup file that you will have to do from you 6+
    fridayxiii likes this.
    09-13-2017 12:58 PM
    If you have a computer, use iTunes to backup so you can cherry pick. And, later on, restore from that backup.
    fridayxiii likes this.
    09-14-2017 03:23 PM
    Thanks y'all. I do have iTunes installed on my MacBook, so I'll try to use that to restore only the content I want to the new phone next Friday. Like I said, this is new to me since every other new iPhone I got, I just did a full restore from the last backup of the prior device.

If iTunes doesn't perform as I want/need, I'll buy iMazing as it has good reviews and looks like it'll do the trick.
    09-15-2017 09:19 AM
    If you have a computer, use iTunes to backup so you can cherry pick. And, later on, restore from that backup.
    That's my vote as well
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    09-16-2017 12:57 PM
    I believe if using iTunes, one should use the encrypt option, too. Thus all passwords and such are saved. Thus, when you restore, all those things are already there
    09-22-2017 06:52 AM
    I believe if using iTunes, one should use the encrypt option, too. Thus all passwords and such are saved. Thus, when you restore, all those things are already there
    That does make it much easier!
    libra89 likes this.
    09-22-2017 09:26 AM
    That does make it much easier!
    I love that about iOS.
    09-22-2017 11:03 AM
    I love that about iOS.
    It does help because I can't remember all of my passwords.
    libra89 likes this.
    09-22-2017 11:37 AM
    If you use iCloud for contacts and photo library the only thing you need it's to log in into your account on the new iPhone and it's done. Otherwise you can consider an App like iMazing that allow you to pick only the stuff you need from a backup file that you will have to do from you 6+
    Big thanks for the tip on iMazing; it truly lived up to its name. The device-to-device transfer could not have been easier, and did exactly what I wanted. I might even start using iMazing for backups instead of iTunes (in addition at the least).
    09-22-2017 08:28 PM