Getting an 8+ -- Why not the X?

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The current rumors out of China are that next years iPhones will all look like the X. There will be one similar to the X (again 5.8"), and a plus size that will be a 6.5" display. There will also be a "lower cost" iPhone, with an LED display (not OLED), that is 6.1". All will be edge to edge (similar to the X) with a notch, and all will feature FaceID. It will be interesting to see the prices on the three models (if it does end up being these three) but allegedly all new Apple phones will be "based" on the iPhone X features (notch, FaceID, gestures, etc).

That sounds great...as long as the price is right.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
That would be wrong to do. Not everyone will be happy with that design change completely 100%. Apple should keep its original design as well .

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
So I have debated this a long time. If I was to get the X via Verizon I’m looking at $600/phone (tax included) $1800 for three phones. I have the money but no that I have it I don’t want to part with it.

Then I have to add screen protectors and of course wireless charger. I’m still on the fence but I’ll falling towards the 8 side for now. I have a week to decide

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
That would be wrong to do. Not everyone will be happy with that design change completely 100%. Apple should keep its original design as well .

I doubt they’ll keep the old design for a few more years.

Since they’ve marketed the X to be the “future of smartphones”.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I suspect that rumor, at least in terms of all the new iPhones being similar to the X, is true. I suspect next year that the iPhone X will be "dropped" from the lineup, that next year Apple will offer the iPhone 8/Plus and whatever next years new models are.

Apple seemed to be very clear that the iPhone X is the "future of the iPhone." There are also hints, in interviews with Jony Ive, that not only is the iPhone X the future but that iOS will revolve to better fit the abilities of the iPhone X.

For example, there are several interesting quotes from Apple executives in this Time Magazine article:

“This phone really sets us up well for the next 10 years,” says Dan Riccio, Apple’s senior vice president of hardware engineering.

“I actually think the path of holding onto features that have been effective, the path of holding onto those whatever the cost, is a path that leads to failure,” says Ive. “And in the short term, it’s the path the feels less risky and it’s the path that feels more secure.”

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don’t like how carriers charge a restocking fee within the 14 days. That’s why I really like to play with the device. I played with the 7+ a lot during my Note7 debacle. It won me over. I have played with the 8+. I had my cat scan today. I am praying my cancer hasn’t spread. I want to treat myself to the 8+ but only if I am ok.
This is hard to even talk about. Benign biopsy only to turn malignant turning my life upside down. Two lymph nodes were positive so that made my diagnosis stage 2 to stage 3. I will have chemo and radiation. I am a 30 yr breast cancer survivor and it was easy to beat for me. I didn’t have to have chemo. This Vulvar Cancer is tougher on me. Sorry to rant. I am depressed. My life was going great and boom.
Sorry. Am nervous about my cat scan.

I hate you’re going through this. I’ll be sending good vibes your way...you beat cancer once, you can do it again!!!!

And I totally think you should just get the 8 Plus. It’s a great device & we all deserve a little electronics happiness lol

comiken205

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I just finished ordering an 8 for my daughter and an 8 plus for me. I count convince myself to spend $1200 for two phones. I am going to get my son an iPad Mini 4 since he just got an iPhone 7 in February of this year.

I have a business plan so I can upgrade again in 10 months, just in time for next years iPhones.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I just finished ordering an 8 for my daughter and an 8 plus for me. I count convince myself to spend $1200 for two phones. I am going to get my son an iPad Mini 4 since he just got an iPhone 7 in February of this year.

I have a business plan so I can upgrade again in 10 months, just in time for next years iPhones.

That’s great planning, enjoy your new iPhone!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Verizon isn’t having any deals except for when you buy an iphone you can get an ipad at a discounted price. I don’t need another ipad. I have the 12.9 pro and am loving the beast. I did finally break down and ordered the Apple Pencil. I have been thinking about it for months now and now that Verizon has it, I decided to get it. I am treating myself and with all have been dealing with, I deserve it. I know I will use it mainly as a stylus and I will take notes with it. I do like to dabble with sketching, at least I was decent in high school...yrs ago. So am excited to try it. I will be getting the 8+ in a couple of months if all goes well. I could pay off on my 7+ what I need to pay to get it now. But am hoping they run a promotion in a couple of months.

naddy6969

May 29, 2017
Visit site
Because I got a brand new, sealed box, 256GB 8 plus for $650. No way I’m paying twice that for a 256GB 10 with a smaller screen.

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I played around with the iPhone X in store yesterday before deciding to go with the eight plus. I tend to only keep my phones for twelve months so I “lease” them instead of buying them. Coming from a 6+ I wanted an upgrade of it. I have been using the 6+ ever since I got it. I also hated the lack of a home button when I was using the iPhone X in store yesterday. Tbh I can’t wait to see what apple comes out with in September 2018 and with me being able to upgrade at the end of November whenever I go to upgrade again I should be able to easily get a phone after a September release with there being more stock. I got a very good deal yesterday. 8gb of data, iPhone 8+ 64gb model, iPad, accessories (cover for both iPad and iPhone, cases for both iPad and iPhone and stylus) and insurance for $137 per month. Can’t get much better than that

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
For me it's mostly availability and a little bit the high price. I will be going over to a contract where I can get a new phone every year and send the old back. And after reading that the X is a test run for next year's iPhone I will be getting 8 Plus now.

This is the kind of contract I have. Plus paying almost $200 means getting a new phone once per year

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The reason I opted for the X was the device size. I wanted to have nearly the same screen real estate as the Plus without the overall bulk of the forehead and chin the Touch ID phones have. If they do a Plus version of the X next year I don't see me rushing to it as I have the right screen size now.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I went from the 7plus to the X. Decided that it just wasn’t for me. Yes I loved the designs, the gesture based UI. However, I will wait for the XPlus next year. Hopefully they will get the oled screen problems I was having under control. Although, this LCD on the 8plus is gorgeous.

hodad66

Dec 2, 2017
Visit site
for me it was the painful act of texting with my big, dumb, fingers. I'm using a
5S and wanted some drastic relief from all my mistakes!! [BOX]:biggrin:[/BOX]

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro