Getting an 8+ -- Why not the X?

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I am someone who has always had to have the latest and greatest and always end up upgrading my device right away.
Not this time though....surprisingly.
I am actually sticking with the 8+. To me, that speaks to how great it is. Screen, battery, camera, performance. It’s all there.
And Touch ID! Something the X is lacking and is a deal breaker.
Maybe next here we will see. But good job 8+!
Well, the 8 Plus still is the greatest and latest somewhat

mach1man

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I found an X at a local apple store and reserved it. I walked out of the store with a the X but every since then I've been in remorse that I should've gotten the 8 plus. The face id is nice but not as quick as touch id, I feel like the screen is smaller bc it's not as wide. The only reason I stuck with getting the X after playing with the 8 plus is the camera. I take a lot of photos and videos, the dual stabilization is something I really wanted. Can anyone here help with this issue, is the 8 Plus camera better than the 7 Plus and is it close to the X??

One big issue with face id is that it doesn't read at certain angles. Like laying in bed or sitting at a desk, you have to be mostly on top of the phone. That is were touch id wins

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Ok so I found an X at a local apple store and reserved it. I walked out of the store with a the X but every since then I've been in remorse that I should've gotten the 8 plus. The face id is nice but not as quick as touch id, I feel like the screen is smaller bc it's not as wide. The only reason I stuck with getting the X after playing with the 8 plus is the camera. I take a lot of photos and videos, the dual stabilization is something I really wanted. Can anyone here help with this issue, is the 8 Plus camera better than the 7 Plus and is it close to the X??

One big issue with face id is that it doesn't read at certain angles. Like laying in bed or sitting at a desk, you have to be mostly on top of the phone. That is were touch id wins

The telephoto camera on the 8 Plus is an f/2.8 aperture, the one on the X is an f/2.4 aperture with Optical Image Stabilization. The front camera is technically the same but the X has portrait mode on the front camera, using the Face ID sensors. Otherwise the cameras are the same between the X and the 8 Plus.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The telephoto camera on the 8 Plus is an f/2.8 aperture, the one on the X is an f/2.4 aperture with Optical Image Stabilization. The front camera is technically the same but the X has portrait mode on the front camera, using the Face ID sensors. Otherwise the cameras are the same between the X and the 8 Plus.

Those are some pretty big differences though, particularly the OIS on the telephoto lens. 2.4 vs 2.8 is pretty good too but that stabilizer works well. Used it last week on video and it was smooth!

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Those are some pretty big differences though, particularly the OIS on the telephoto lens. 2.4 vs 2.8 is pretty good too but that stabilizer works well. Used it last week on video and it was smooth!

Yes, I saw a comment elsewhere that the OIS on the telephoto camera was essentially equivalent to having about a f1.8 aperture on a non-stabilized camera -- so between the two it makes a big difference.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
My iPhone X is supposed to be on my desk tomorrow...but, ehhhhhhhh I dunno. I'm glad I have the 14-day trial...and a few days before I have to turn my 7+ in to Verizon.

I could keep my 7+...or be a new 8+ buyer if the shortcomings I hear that the X has are true.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I have never had Touch ID issues. I like it a lot. Also if I do get the 8+ like how cases I have will fit it. I am into cases. I like to change them to my mood. Money racked up in cases is a lot. Lol
But reality is I like the 7+ form factor and have played with the 8+. It is my choice.

anon(1733)

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Had the X and was going to sell my 8 plus. Glad I didn’t because I wasn’t feeling the X at all. Returned the X and kept the plus. Much much happier.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I could keep my 7+...or be a new 8+ buyer if the shortcomings I hear that the X has are true.

If you're going into it with the expectation that you're going to find the shortcomings, you will. Save yourself the trouble and keep the shrink-wrap on the box ;)

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
My iPhone X is supposed to be on my desk tomorrow...but, ehhhhhhhh I dunno. I'm glad I have the 14-day trial...and a few days before I have to turn my 7+ in to Verizon.

I don’t think you’ll want to return the X

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I don’t like how carriers charge a restocking fee within the 14 days. That’s why I really like to play with the device. I played with the 7+ a lot during my Note7 debacle. It won me over. I have played with the 8+. I had my cat scan today. I am praying my cancer hasn’t spread. I want to treat myself to the 8+ but only if I am ok.
This is hard to even talk about. Benign biopsy only to turn malignant turning my life upside down. Two lymph nodes were positive so that made my diagnosis stage 2 to stage 3. I will have chemo and radiation. I am a 30 yr breast cancer survivor and it was easy to beat for me. I didn’t have to have chemo. This Vulvar Cancer is tougher on me. Sorry to rant. I am depressed. My life was going great and boom.
Sorry. Am nervous about my cat scan.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I don’t like how carriers charge a restocking fee within the 14 days. That’s why I really like to play with the device. I played with the 7+ a lot during my Note7 debacle. It won me over. I have played with the 8+.
That's the nice thing about buying through Apple. I had the 8 Plus for a week before a shipment of X came in and I swapped it out easily.

I had my cat scan today. I am praying my cancer hasn’t spread. I want to treat myself to the 8+ but only if I am ok.
This is hard to even talk about. Benign biopsy only to turn malignant turning my life upside down. Two lymph nodes were positive so that made my diagnosis stage 2 to stage 3. I will have chemo and radiation. I am a 30 yr breast cancer survivor and it was easy to beat for me. I didn’t have to have chemo. This Vulvar Cancer is tougher on me. Sorry to rant. I am depressed. My life was going great and boom.
Sorry. Am nervous about my cat scan.
Sorry you're going through that. Will be sending lots of positive thoughts your way. You'll have that 8 Plus in your hands before you know it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
That's the nice thing about buying through Apple. I had the 8 Plus for a week before a shipment of X came in and I swapped it out easily.

Sorry you're going through that. Will be sending lots of positive thoughts your way. You'll have that 8 Plus in your hands before you know it.

Thx so much!

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I figure one of two things is going to happen in the near future. Either -
  1. Features from the X will trickle down to the traditional iPhone line...or
  2. Apple is going to price me out of iPhone, at which point I'll go full Android or buy an older model iPhone.
Until either of those things happen, I'm not going to spring for a

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
  2. Apple is going to price me out of iPhone, at which point I'll go full Android or buy an older model iPhone.

I think Apple will keep a few iPhones in their product line to meet the needs of different consumers so that they end up “self-selecting”.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

The current rumors out of China are that next years iPhones will all look like the X. There will be one similar to the X (again 5.8"), and a plus size that will be a 6.5" display. There will also be a "lower cost" iPhone, with an LED display (not OLED), that is 6.1". All will be edge to edge (similar to the X) with a notch, and all will feature FaceID. It will be interesting to see the prices on the three models (if it does end up being these three) but allegedly all new Apple phones will be "based" on the iPhone X features (notch, FaceID, gestures, etc).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73