Getting an 8+ -- Why not the X?

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I went with the 8 Plus because one of the many reasons I originally moved away from Android is because I got sick of all their swiping and gestures. I just want a phone that I press to unlock. Now it appears Apple is headed in the direction of swipes and gestures and "gimmicks". Ugh...

On the positive side, you should be able to keep buying the new 8/Plus for the next two years, and even the 7/Plus should get iOS updates for another three years, so you won't be forced into a new phone with gestures. By the time the older phones are no longer supported and you are "forced" to the newer type of phones, they'll likely be new "improvements" to replace gestures.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Well I just upgraded to the 8+ from the 7. My orignal intent was to get the 10. But I don't think I am ready to get rid of Touch ID. It's just too darn convenient.
And the jump in screen size was more then enough for me. The 8+ is awesome. Super snappy, battery life seems to be great so far. And it's awesome just touching my phone for it to turn on!

Doug B

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
For me personally I’d rather not buy a phone that’s a first year model. New form factor, ugly notch and FaceID. I upgraded from the 6S plus to the 8 plus and have no regrets. If the reviews are good over the next year the I might consider it next year but for now I’m a happy camper.

trw1602

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I had to make the same decision, here is what it came down to...

1) Availability. The 8+ is out now, who knows when you can actually get your hands on an X
2) It's not faster, in fact, with the X's higher def screen and higher fillrate required, graphics apps might be slower
3) FaceID is unproven and likely to not be as good as finger scanner. Other companies have had it for years and it never caught on.
4) That ugly damned notch in the screen, that protrudes into pics and videos you are viewing, or games you are playing. It's a really lazy design flow. They could have made the phone 2mm longer, but they chose to put sensors IN the viewing part of the screen and it looks horrendous
5) $1000 for a 64gb phone in this day and age? [redacted] please...

You should really read that article Apple put out about the FaceID technology. It isn’t like the other entries in the market.

ajb1965

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
All those things on the X look really cool, but not being a die hard Apple fan (years of Windows Phone and Android) I opted to go with the 8+ simply to decide if I like the iOS experience. I had a 6S+ for a short while and liked it, but didn't have it long enough to really get a feel for the OS as a whole.

If I like it, I may opt for an X early next year after the hype has died down and they are easier to come by. Only time will tell.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Tried to get the X but for whatever reason it didn't take.

Now have an 8+ ready for pickup at my Apple Store today. Reasons I'm not too bummed:

1) FaceID - not too sure about it but we'll see how people like it
2) Screen size - I wanted a larger screen so was a tad disappointed it was only taller than my 6s
3) Availability - if I could still get it I'd go ahead but it's at 6 weeks out now and I'm ready to update now

I'm sure there will be times I wish I had it, but I'm willing to let others work out the kinks in the new tech for now :)

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I wasn’t really feeling Face ID, the notch, or the price tag but now I’m rethinking all of it! I’m having the same feeling I had in 2014 with the 6/6+...I got the 6 thinking I didn’t want to get the bigger phone. After a couple months I wish I’d got the bigger phone! Same thing now with the 8+ and X.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I wasn’t really feeling Face ID, the notch, or the price tag but now I’m rethinking all of it! I’m having the same feeling I had in 2014 with the 6/6+...I got the 6 thinking I didn’t want to get the bigger phone. After a couple months I wish I’d got the bigger phone! Same thing now with the 8+ and X.

I’d say give it a try, and you can always return it within 14 days.

I prefer it over my Plus, and there’s always next year to get the rumored 6.4” X.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

The iPhone X is a beautiful device. It’s weighty like the iPhone 4/4S, FaceID works better than expected, and the screen size makes it feel like an iPhone 8 Plus. It’s weird in that aspect, but I’m a good way. Anyway, outside of that, at least for me, you’re not missing anything with your iPhone 8 Plus.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
For this generation I’ll stay with the traditional iPhone, so I bought an 8 Plus.
A few reasons for me: price, I like Touch ID, I want a bigger screen, I think iOS 11 isn’t quite ready for the new generation.

TheLegoJoker

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I posted earlier in this thread that I’m not willing to give up the home button yet. Well, after reading reviews and playing with a store display I’m picking up the iPhone X this morning. Guess I have to eat my previous words.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I am someone who has always had to have the latest and greatest and always end up upgrading my device right away.
Not this time though....surprisingly.
I am actually sticking with the 8+. To me, that speaks to how great it is. Screen, battery, camera, performance. It’s all there.
And Touch ID! Something the X is lacking and is a deal breaker.
Maybe next here we will see. But good job 8+!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm not upgrading until next year, but if I did now, I'd get the 8 Plus. I like the screen size better than the X. Bezels don't bother me. I prefer a wider screen.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone X is a beautiful device. It’s weighty like the iPhone 4/4S, FaceID works better than expected, and the screen size makes it feel like an iPhone 8 Plus. It’s weird in that aspect, but I’m a good way. Anyway, outside of that, at least for me, you’re not missing anything with your iPhone 8 Plus.

I totally agree!! The only reason I got the X was the smaller form factor & no home button. Otherwise, my new devices would be the 8 & 8 Plus instead of the 8 & X.

I posted earlier in this thread that I’m not willing to give up the home button yet. Well, after reading reviews and playing with a store display I’m picking up the iPhone X this morning. Guess I have to eat my previous words.

We’ve all been there Hope you enjoy it

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73