Getting an 8+ -- Why not the X?

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I am just curious as to why some want the 8+ versus the X. I have no preference to either, personally, I am just more-so curious as to why others aren't going to the X.

For a lot of people Price is always a deciding factor in the device you end up getting. So that would be the number 1 reason on my list. The second thing for me would be the TouchID. i really love the convince of being able to just place my finger on a button and my phone unlocks. It can even be done while its being taken out my pocket. So i kind wish the iPhone X had one on the back. So thats why i would go for the iPhone 8 Plus, but then again, if i was given the iPhone X. I would definitely love using it and try to ignore the missing TouchID. :)

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I am just curious as to why some want the 8+ versus the X. I have no preference to either, personally, I am just more-so curious as to why others aren't going to the X.

8+ = Bigger, harder to hold as a daily phone. It's just too big for me to use as a daily driver. Feels like an iPad Mini in my hands. Also hard to carry with me, I use a Velcro pouch, and that would be huge for the 8+.

X = about the right form factor, get a bit more screen than the 7 / 8 standard. Better cameras than the 8+ (better front, lower light back and dual stabilized), etc. Plus we're not sure yet, the X may be coming with an extra GB of RAM.

It's really a toss up, many fear the new "face to open" tech.. and the missing home button. I don't blame them. Plus the price difference, even for Apple Care it's much more. It's in the cheap used car market price.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Reachability is gone on the iPhone X while they've moved Control Centre etc to the upper corners of the even bigger screen. It's a usability nightmare and definitely a two handed phone now.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I love the smaller form factor of the X, and the OLED looks amazing. But for the additional premium, and lacking Touch ID (still not convinced with fID) I'll go 8 Plus tonight and let the X go through the rounds the first few months. I'll hop on one in Jan/Feb if reviews clear it.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting both. Preorder the 8+ and use for a few weeks to replace my 7+. When preorders open up for the X, Pass the 8+ over to my wife (who is currently using a 6S+) and get the X for me. The only thing is since the 8+ is really going to be for my wife at some point I have to get either gold or silver. I don't like the white face fronts. So have to deal with it for a few weeks :(

Of course I could wait until the X is out and get both phones at the same time. But I'm too impatient for that lol.

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Reachability is gone on the iPhone X while they've moved Control Centre etc to the upper corners of the even bigger screen. It's a usability nightmare and definitely a two handed phone now.

And the huge "PLUS" line is not a two handed phone? How long are your thumbs?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
And the huge "PLUS" line is not a two handed phone? How long are your thumbs?
Umm the huge 'Plus' line has 'Reachability' exactly for that purpose? That's my whole point. The Plus size phones, although larger than the iPhone X will much be much easier to use and handle

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Umm the huge 'Plus' line has 'Reachability' exactly for that purpose? That's my whole point. The Plus size phones, although larger than the iPhone X will much be much easier to use and handle

I still find the PLUS models to not be one handed even with reachability. On my iPhone 7 (not plus) I have to use reachablity to hit the top right folders. ON a plus I can't reach that, it's still 2-handed for me. Plus much harder to carry. I am on the fence this year. Getting older I want the larger screen, but the plus is always a bit "too large." The X seems right, but the cost is outrageous, especially if you go with the 256GB, plus Apple Care, plus Tax, Plus case etc.. Maybe it's time to try the 8+. Not sure, will wait this year and not pre-order. My 7 is pristine and does what I want. That does not mean it's making the decision any easier, since I have always upgraded each year with the latest and greatest. Now there is two latest and greatest's and I am torn.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I still find the PLUS models to not be one handed even with reachability. On my iPhone 7 (not plus) I have to use reachablity to hit the top right folders. ON a plus I can't reach that, it's still 2-handed for me. Plus much harder to carry. I am on the fence this year. Getting older I want the larger screen, but the plus is always a bit "too large." The X seems right, but the cost is outrageous, especially if you go with the 256GB, plus Apple Care, plus Tax, Plus case etc.. Maybe it's time to try the 8+. Not sure, will wait this year and not pre-order. My 7 is pristine and does what I want. That does not mean it's making the decision any easier, since I have always upgraded each year with the latest and greatest. Now there is two latest and greatest's and I am torn.
With Reachability the upper opposite corners are just within reach for me so any bigger or wider and it would be too big. I totally get what you mean too because I also want the big screen but hate lugging a big heavy phone in my pockets, especially when I want to take my phone for any exercise. I had the Samsung Galaxy s8 Plus then the regular size s8 and I much preferred the regular s8 as it felt like a large screen phone in the body of a normal size phone. I think the X will feel much the same.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I love the smaller form factor of the X, and the OLED looks amazing. But for the additional premium, and lacking Touch ID (still not convinced with fID) I'll go 8 Plus tonight and let the X go through the rounds the first few months. I'll hop on one in Jan/Feb if reviews clear it.

Actually I'm hoping that next year there will be two variants with this design. X & X Plus, if you will. I prefer the larger size of the Plus devices.

scorpiodsu

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually I'm hoping that next year there will be two variants with this design. X & X Plus, if you will. I prefer the larger size of the Plus devices.

I expect that to be the case if the X does well. It seems they did this to keep in line with the typical S line upgrades while testing a newer version with a drastically different design. I fully expect the X to do well and then next year we only see models like that going forward.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I expect that to be the case if the X does well. It seems they did this to keep in line with the typical S line upgrades while testing a newer version with a drastically different design. I fully expect the X to do well and then next year we only see models like that going forward.

Hard to predict, but I think that the X will do well enough for this to happen.

ReggieTee

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I expect TouchID to be back next year underneath the screen. The tech wasn’t ready and they scrapped it. I could be wrong but I can’t see FaceID being the plan all along. I may get the 8 Plus and then upgrade to the next version of the X with TouchID in tow (if it happens) next year. I was a huge Android fan who upgraded yearly. My 6S Plus is the first smartphone I ever kept two years.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I expect TouchID to be back next year underneath the screen. The tech wasn’t ready and they scrapped it. I could be wrong but I can’t see FaceID being the plan all along. I may get the 8 Plus and then upgrade to the next version of the X with TouchID in tow (if it happens) next year. I was a huge Android fan who upgraded yearly. My 6S Plus is the first smartphone I ever kept two years.

Fear not... they've already though of that

Attachments

• yW8dEeU.jpg
    yW8dEeU.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 11

Eddster

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
This all plus the notch to me. I do a few casual games that I think the notch will get in the way, or make me hold the device a certain way.

Ha ha good to know I'm not the only one bothered by that notch. I can't believe Apple went with that design choice. I think a thin bezel across the top to accommodate the sensors/speaker actually would've been the more elegant option.

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal