Getting an 8+ -- Why not the X?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I am just curious as to why some want the 8+ versus the X. I have no preference to either, personally, I am just more-so curious as to why others aren't going to the X.

I wanted a larger screen. There's more viewable screen real-estate on the 8 Plus than on the 10.

soulenigma

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
For spending over $1000 for a phone is crazy right now for just a bigger screen, face id (a little scary), and both cameras ios

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
For spending over $1000 for a phone is crazy right now for just a bigger screen, face id (a little scary), and both cameras ios

Well, they say bigger screen but it isn’t really, they measure corner to corner but you have a chunk of screen missing at the top! The viewing area is smaller than that if the 8+. I’ve seen YouTube videos of the X playing a film and it just looks odd. If the botch is here to stay, I could be looking elsewhere next year

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I just couldn’t justify spending so much. 256gb + Apple care + taxes + new case + new screen protector = $1,500

I went with the 8+. Been rocking the 6+ for the last 3 years, so this is a nice upgrade for me.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I had to make the same decision, here is what it came down to...

1) Availability. The 8+ is out now, who knows when you can actually get your hands on an X
2) It's not faster, in fact, with the X's higher def screen and higher fillrate required, graphics apps might be slower
3) FaceID is unproven and likely to not be as good as finger scanner. Other companies have had it for years and it never caught on.
4) That ugly damned notch in the screen, that protrudes into pics and videos you are viewing, or games you are playing. It's a really lazy design flow. They could have made the phone 2mm longer, but they chose to put sensors IN the viewing part of the screen and it looks horrendous
5) $1000 for a 64gb phone in this day and age? [redacted] please...

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
All I can say is WOW... My new 8+ is incredible. The camera amazing and the battery is FOREVER.... Plus it is cheaper than the 10 and I do not need any new cases and I don’t have to worry about the 1st generation problems that always happen.

I could not be more happy with my decision .

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
To the mod that redacted my comment, mainly the word "Honkey"...

You do realize that by it saying "(redacted) please)", you have made my comment appear like I might have used an actual negative and offensive term, right? LOL

It's not a curse word, and I don't think that anyone was offended... haha

techgeek88

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I'll slightly modify someone's post up above.

1. Availibility (that's a long time to wait for a phone and I was getting antsy for the A11 coming from a 7 Plus, I'm all about speed, plus potentionally waiting for something I don't like)
2. Touch ID (I'm simply not sold on Face ID, I have concerns and Touch ID works so damn well)
3. Let the X mature a bit, iron out the bugs that come with 1st gen products
4. Speed is same (The fact that my main thing I look for in phones, speed, is the same on both the 8+ and X)

Price wasn't an issue. The above mentioned are, however. As "old" of a design it is, it's also a proven one and one I've been using for years. I mean I get it, the raw design has been around since the 6, but it's also the best iPhone design ever. The iPhone 6's rounded corners and less blocky feel made it a superior designed smartphone to the prior iPhones 5S and older. I hate that design. I didn't get an iPhone until the 6 Plus, came out. I just wasn't a fan.

I get a new iPhone every year so I've had 6 Plus, 6S Plus, 7 Plus, and now 8 Plus. It's the same exterior give or take, but it's one I like. Display just isn't my main focus on a phone. And I'm not sold on the notch on the X either.

The main numero uno thing I have to have in a smartphone, speed, is the same on both the 8 Plus and X. So there was very little reason for me to take a risk this year. I'm very happy with my Space Gray 8 Plus, and am enjoying the new features it does have, like wireless charging and better cameras and of course that beautiful A11 Bionic.

I'll be an iPhone 11 guy next year. This year, I'm more than happy with my 8 Plus. And I really feel there is enough changed to be worthy of 8 vs 7s, but that's for another thread.

That70sGAdawg

Trusted Member
Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
For many of the reasons already mention!
Don’t like the notch
Not keen on the camera bump
First generation
No Touch ID
Less width and a weird aspect ration
I like the size of the 8+ as it allows me to hold it when watching video’s etc or whilst laying down. These full screen bezel free handsets are a pain to grip without covering the screen at some point.
I also think unless you are 100% tied to Apple Eco, you can get a nicer looking phone with a better and higher res screen for less money! S8+ for example, I could have bought a new one for £662, and I almost did but I am tied in a bit too much with the family.
Lastly, the price. Just bonkers, £799 for my 8+ is high enough, there’s no way the X is worth £200 more in my opinion.

Got my 8+ today and I love it!

A lot of people dont realize that when you try to hold the X in landscape there will be a lot of screen touch errors -cause there is no bezel to rest your thumb on! I've had the bezel less S8 phone and no comfortable way to hold them in landscape without putting your fingers/thumb on the screen..

Last edited:

SugarMouth

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
I am just curious as to why some want the 8+ versus the X. I have no preference to either, personally, I am just more-so curious as to why others aren't going to the X.

For me is was the home button. I like to touch the button while the device is laying flat on my desk and wake it. I don't mind bezels that much. I am not a huge fan of that funky dip on the top of the X screen.

SquireSCA

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
For me is was the home button. I like to touch the button while the device is laying flat on my desk and wake it. I don't mind bezels that much. I am not a huge fan of that funky dip on the top of the X screen.

Exactly. And the thing with bezels... They are nice to have. Maybe not as pretty to look at, but they make USING the phone better.

Having the screen go right to the edge, gives you no place to hold the phone properly, you will constantly be touching the screen and giving inputs when you don't want to.

Second, is how to protect it. You need a bezel so that the case has a bit of area to wrap around and create a bumper. The Galaxy Edge phones that have screens that go right to the edge, have a problem with getting decent cases to cover those edges without covering the screen itself, resulting in an increase of cracked and shattered screens.

I don't like when phone makers put form over function, and the no bezel screen, and the notch at the top are examples of that. Compromising the function of a device, because you want it to look more aesthetically pleasing in a photograph, is just silly...

KingGrimlock

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
I went with the 8 Plus because one of the many reasons I originally moved away from Android is because I got sick of all their swiping and gestures. I just want a phone that I press to unlock. Now it appears Apple is headed in the direction of swipes and gestures and "gimmicks". Ugh...

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I went with the 8 Plus because one of the many reasons I originally moved away from Android is because I got sick of all their swiping and gestures. I just want a phone that I press to unlock. Now it appears Apple is headed in the direction of swipes and gestures and "gimmicks". Ugh...

You can always stay with the 8 Plus. I actually enjoy gestures.

KingGrimlock

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site

You can always stay with the 8 Plus. I actually enjoy gestures.

I hope that’s not the case, and Apple continues to offer two versions (although I doubt it).

There’s nothing wrong with gestures. I just reached a point where I’m too old to remember and keep track of what gesture does what function! There was a time when the younger me would proudly show off the many different swipes and gestures on his new Samsung. Ah, the good ol’ days...

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I hope that’s not the case, and Apple continues to offer two versions (although I doubt it).

There’s nothing wrong with gestures. I just reached a point where I’m too old to remember and keep track of what gesture does what function! There was a time when the younger me would proudly show off the many different swipes and gestures on his new Samsung. Ah, the good ol’ days...

Yeah I doubt it too.
I’m guessing the new design of the X will stay for a few years.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I’d be suprised too.
I’m sure that there’ll be a bigger X next year.

Maybe. If they sell as many or more than expected and the masses are satisfied with the current display size then they may not. It ma be easier for them to return to selling a single model, but then again, it may not...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2