Getting an 8+ -- Why not the X?

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
For many of the reasons already mention!
Don’t like the notch
Not keen on the camera bump
First generation
No Touch ID
Less width and a weird aspect ration
I like the size of the 8+ as it allows me to hold it when watching video’s etc or whilst laying down. These full screen bezel free handsets are a pain to grip without covering the screen at some point.
I also think unless you are 100% tied to Apple Eco, you can get a nicer looking phone with a better and higher res screen for less money! S8+ for example, I could have bought a new one for £662, and I almost did but I am tied in a bit too much with the family.
Lastly, the price. Just bonkers, £799 for my 8+ is high enough, there’s no way the X is worth £200 more in my opinion.

Got my 8+ today and I love it!

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I think the X will suit some people but not me. I like the bezel and white front. Wish there was a complete white phone! But if I do give up my 7+it will be for 256 gig 8+

GolferChris68

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
A lot of new components and software making up the X. It's a pretty dramatic departure for Apple, so best to wait and let them working the manufacturing and software kinks. I'm pretty happy with the gold iPhone 8 Plus that I picked up today, though there are some bugs that I hope they address with OS updates pretty quickly.

Tersanyus

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
For me the 8 Plus is worth it. Yeah I might regret not getting the X. I had a 32gb 7 Plus. Very little room for 4k video. I got the 8 Plus with 256gb. And I'm on the yearly IPhone Upgrade Plan directly with Apple and this new iPhone was only about $8 more a month.

I think the 8 and 8 Plus will be the last new iPhones to look like they are today. Yes I would love to get the X. I think even preordering it may take well over a month or two to actually get.

I'll do one last year of a "standard" iPhone as they've looked for many years. I know Apple will do good with the X. I'll read about that model and next year at this time I'll get the second generation of iPhone X. The XI I guess?

bailbrae

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
For me the 8 Plus is worth it. Yeah I might regret not getting the X. I had a 32gb 7 Plus. Very little room for 4k video. I got the 8 Plus with 256gb. And I'm on the yearly IPhone Upgrade Plan directly with Apple and this new iPhone was only about $8 more a month.

I think the 8 and 8 Plus will be the last new iPhones to look like they are today. Yes I would love to get the X. I think even preordering it may take well over a month or two to actually get.

I'll do one last year of a "standard" iPhone as they've looked for many years. I know Apple will do good with the X. I'll read about that model and next year at this time I'll get the second generation of iPhone X. The XI I guess?

THIS! This is a great answer, and I feel the same. The X looks cool. But I really like the home button. It has never bothered me, and I feel like you, that my 8+ is now "the last of its kind," lol. I had a 128gb 7+ and there was NO way I wanted to make 64gb work. So, I got 256gb 8+ for about $5 more a month (I'm also on the IUP). I feel very strongly that we will see huge delays with the X's release (more accurately, with the supply/demand, not that it won't release on 11/3), anyway. Next September, I'll see what's available. That also gives Apple time to get any kinks worked out, and/or to tweak the bezel-less design. :)

For what it's worth, I am really, really happy with my 8+! The gold color is beautiful, the phone itself is snappy and quick, and my kids are already super tired of me testing the new portrait lighting. :D

Tersanyus

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I like the home button too. Another good part for me with the 8 Plus is I already have the Apple 29w USB C adapter with a lightning cable. I got that for my iPad Pro 12.9. And I have a Samsung charge pad that I got for my Galaxy S8 Plus. It's not the fast charge type but it worked Ok.

I still don't get my such a large jump on storage size. It's great the base storage is 64gb now. But why no 128gb? I didn't "need" 256gb. I could have made do with 128gb just fine. I didn't think 64gb would be enough for me.

raphie

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
So torn. Don’t like the look of X,don’t like that notch thing and I like the actual size of my 7+. I made a paper version of X and it’s smaller than I thought it would be.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
To me, X would be a true upgrade!
I have always gone with “next”one, this seems like 1.5 steps not just 1.
Maybe I need hands on with 8+ @ store

Gotcha!!! You definitely should check it out. It may just be enough of an upgrade for you to get it.

Sep 26, 2017
Visit site
It mainly comes down to price and availability for me. I don't want to have to wait until Jan-Feb to get my phone, and I don't want to pay $1000 for a phone I have to wait until Jan-Feb to use. Plus I'm use to Oled Android devices, so I'm not as blown away as everyone else. I'll be perfectly happy with my iPhone 8 plus!

Dukins

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a Silver 8+ yesterday. For me it was a great decision. Could I have waited sure, but for my uses the 8+ works great. The camera here is outstanding, A11 is fast, I like true tone, etc.

Lambertoid

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
For me it was one thing and one thing only! The fingerprint scanner is my one thing I won’t give up. Yes phone looks older but the build is amazing comparing it to the 6S + or the 7+. To me it was easy though.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I picked up an 8 Plus yesterday. This is the fist iPhone I have owned since the iPhone 6 came out.
I have owned a butt-ton of Android phones. Here are a few (in no particular order):
S6 Edge, S7 Edge, Note 7, S8 Plus, LG G4, LG G6, ZTE Axon 7, HTC U11.

This iPhone 8 Plus smokes them all. The HTC U11 camera quality was slightly better than this iPhone in lower light, but the crazy good portrait mode makes up for it.

Want to hear something funny? I use Google Play music (I have a subscription), and the Play Music app is BETTER on iPhone than it is on Android, lol.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I picked up an 8 Plus yesterday. This is the fist iPhone I have owned since the iPhone 6 came out.
I have owned a butt-ton of Android phones. Here are a few (in no particular order):
S6 Edge, S7 Edge, Note 7, S8 Plus, LG G4, LG G6, ZTE Axon 7, HTC U11.

This iPhone 8 Plus smokes them all. The HTC U11 camera quality was slightly better than this iPhone in lower light, but the crazy good portrait mode makes up for it.

Want to hear something funny? I use Google Play music (I have a subscription), and the Play Music app is BETTER on iPhone than it is on Android, lol.

Congratulations on the 8 Plus!
It’s a beast for sure.
A lot of people said that most of Google’s apps are even better on iOS.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Congratulations on the 8 Plus!
It’s a beast for sure.
A lot of people said that most of Google’s apps are even better on iOS.

It makes sense. It's much easier to optimize and app for iOS than it is for 30,000 different configurations of Android phones/versions, lol.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen