I doubt the X will have better battery life than the 8 Plus. Or any Plus model, for that matter.
    I doubt it too.
    09-16-2017 07:21 AM
    I thought long and hard about which, if either, I wanted. I like the OLED screen, particularly with the contrast, as well as the larger screen in a smaller body. I don't like the lack of FPS or the aspect ratio. It appears the ratio could cause some apps to change; such as Safari apparently losing the top and bottom bars, making it harder to switch between webpages. I think I'll give them a year to work on the X-style iPhone and possibly make the upgrade next year. Beyond that, I don't like the $1000 price point or the rumors that availability will be very limited for the first couple of months.

I like that the 8 Plus has most of the improvements; though I would like the better cameras -- even if I tend not to use the cameras much. The 8 plus will have the improved portrait mode, however, which (aside from OIS on the telephoto lens) is something I wanted.

In the end, it was actually "practicality" that made it work. I bought an iPhone 6s Plus, at a nice sale price, for another family member. So, I'm going to return the 6s Plus, hand down my 7 Plus, and get the 8 Plus for myself.
    firstborn80, Dukins and LCW like this.
    09-16-2017 08:07 AM
    1. Price
    2. Availability
    3. I want touchID
    4. New tech usually is buggy ar start
    I agree with all of this. Plus I prefer the wider screen of the Plus over the taller one of the X.
    09-16-2017 10:38 AM
    Getting 8 plus. I won't buy the first generation of anything. I also love touch id
    ladyc0524 and Jude526 like this.
    09-16-2017 11:10 AM
    I thought long and hard about which, if either, I wanted. I like the OLED screen, particularly with the contrast, as well as the larger screen in a smaller body. I don't like the lack of FPS or the aspect ratio. It appears the ratio could cause some apps to change; such as Safari apparently losing the top and bottom bars, making it harder to switch between webpages. I think I'll give them a year to work on the X-style iPhone and possibly make the upgrade next year. Beyond that, I don't like the $1000 price point or the rumors that availability will be very limited for the first couple of months.

I like that the 8 Plus has most of the improvements; though I would like the better cameras -- even if I tend not to use the cameras much. The 8 plus will have the improved portrait mode, however, which (aside from OIS on the telephoto lens) is something I wanted.

In the end, it was actually "practicality" that made it work. I bought an iPhone 6s Plus, at a nice sale price, for another family member. So, I'm going to return the 6s Plus, hand down my 7 Plus, and get the 8 Plus for myself.
    Wooo! What color did you order?
    09-16-2017 11:46 AM
    My wife and I did the "devils advocate" on the 8+ for me vs the 10 (X). I really wanted the X, because I am always about the newest gee-wiz version of Apple. But I don't have the latest Apple TV (actually stopped using it), I don't have the Watch (I don't wear a watch) and my iPod, (Yes, I use it nightly to listen to as I go to sleep) is about 12+ years old. Even my iPad is an Air 2, I don't have a pro.

So do I really need the X, when there are so many things about it I am not thrilled about. I am not a fan of the notch, I am not really into the facial recognition, I still want the touch ID for now, and I am fairly sure they will sell out within a minute.. or worse, delay shipping for everyone until 2018. Plus the cost, after adding apple care, new case, more tax, etc.. I may a be at $1500-$1600.

I mentioned before the OLED is nice, but I doubt I will see much difference in how I use my phone, since I don't play games or watch movies, etc. The bonus features like Animoji's and putting some odd mask on my face, I would never ever use.. well maybe once to see how it works, as i don't even use the bubbles or add-on stuff currently available in iMessage. I just send texts and images.. like here is the phone you asked for, or I will be there at 12:15pm, traffic is bad.. etc.

I use my phone 90% for business and lifestyle. So I decided to go with the 8+ 256GB Space Gray - Delivery by date: September 22, 2017. I know what I am getting, I know the success of the build since it's the build I have had since the 6, the 7 and now the 8. It's comforting and exciting to get the upgraded cameras, and wireless charging, improved glass, etc.
    09-16-2017 12:31 PM
    Ha ha good to know I'm not the only one bothered by that notch. I can't believe Apple went with that design choice. I think a thin bezel across the top to accommodate the sensors/speaker actually would've been the more elegant option.

Posted via the iMore App for Android
    Agreed
    09-16-2017 05:02 PM
    1. Price
    2. Familiarity with Touch ID
    3. No cut out screen
    4. Price
    09-16-2017 06:38 PM
    Yeah, if I were looking for a new phone this season, it would be the 8 Plus. Touch ID isn't something I want to give up until I'm certain Face ID works perfectly.
    Matt Manahan likes this.
    09-16-2017 06:43 PM
    Yeah. I think the x has potential. But this year the current form factor of 8/8+ will be the ultimate refined perfected version of that form whereas the X is a good launching point that will only get better. Too many kinks and a nasty notch to work out first.
    LCW likes this.
    09-16-2017 06:46 PM
    Yep!
    09-16-2017 07:13 PM
    I am very nervous about that full screen on the X and how/if it will survive a drop. I am very careful with my tech, but I feel like I'd be paranoid about that screen. So I am waiting to see how it works out for folks.

I will be upgrading to the 8+ because I joined the upgrade program last year. I will be using the Apple Leather case so I'm feeling that the glass back is somewhat protected.

Other reasons I hesitate:

1. I also don't think the X is quite baked. Face ID because can't get touchid to work?
    2. It's likely that supplies will be purposely limited, so it feels like a field test of the new design concepts.

I'm just waiting for version 2. Still excited that Apple is making these leaps.
    raphie likes this.
    09-19-2017 09:57 PM
    I am very nervous about that full screen on the X and how/if it will survive a drop. I am very careful with my tech, but I feel like I'd be paranoid about that screen. So I am waiting to see how it works out for folks.
    I can’t really see how the iPhone X screen will be any better or worse than other current iPhone models. The bezel doesn’t really do anything to protect it.
    Last edited by Rob Phillips; 09-20-2017 at 06:11 AM.
    nikkisharif and raphie like this.
    09-19-2017 10:07 PM
    Hhhm, I'm looking at my 7+ and I do see your point. The X still makes me nervous.
    09-19-2017 10:12 PM
    Both. I am getting a 8+ that I will use until the X comes out. Then I’ll probably give the 8+ to my mom.
    raphie likes this.
    09-21-2017 03:45 AM

I will be upgrading to the 8+ because I joined the upgrade program last year. I will be using the Apple Leather case so I'm feeling that the glass back is somewhat protected.

Other reasons I hesitate:

1. I also don't think the X is quite baked. Face ID because can't get touchid to work?
    2. It's likely that supplies will be purposely limited, so it feels like a field test of the new design concepts.

I'm just waiting for version 2. Still excited that Apple is making these leaps.
    Get a tempered glass screen protector and it’ll protect your screen very well.
    09-21-2017 04:27 AM
    I'm not ready for face recognition...I like touch ID... I'll probably get the next version of the X next year tho...
    raphie likes this.
    09-21-2017 06:38 AM
    • Not into the notch
    • Not into facial recognition
    • I think they need to do better on the OLED screen re: NIPS
    • I think they will be sold out within seconds and hard to get
    • Not worth the $200 more (after tax) and $200 Apple Care
    • It's first generation, and I want to see the bugs gone
    • I don't care about talking P@@P.
    09-21-2017 10:59 AM
    • Not into the notch
    • Not into facial recognition
    • I think they need to do better on the OLED screen re: NIPS
    • I think they will be sold out within seconds and hard to get
    • Not worth the $200 more (after tax) and $200 Apple Care
    • It's first generation, and I want to see the bugs gone
    • I don't care about talking P@@P.
    This, especially the notch
    raphie likes this.
    09-21-2017 11:55 AM
    I am just curious as to why some want the 8+ versus the X. I have no preference to either, personally, I am just more-so curious as to why others aren't going to the X.
    I don’t want the Plus model iPhone this time around, but if I were in the market for one, I’d probably get it in lieu of the iPhone X because of the following:

1. Price
    2. Wider screen
    3. Fingerprint scanner

I’m still on the fence about getting an iPhone X because I’m interested in the edge to edge display.
    09-21-2017 12:21 PM
    3. Fingerprint scanner
    I can go either way on the TouchID versus FaceID debate. For me the TouchID sensor gets dirty a lot and I have about a 70% success rate. I don't see FaceID having that same issue though.
    09-21-2017 01:02 PM
    I can go either way on the TouchID versus FaceID debate. For me the TouchID sensor gets dirty a lot and I have about a 70% success rate. I don't see FaceID having that same issue though.
    On the surface, I would agree that FaceID may have a better success rate, with emphasis on “may”. It will be interesting to see how it plays out after people have gotten their iPhone X devices.
    09-21-2017 05:46 PM
    Oh really?
    Touch ID on my 7 Plus always works.
    Jude526 likes this.
    09-21-2017 06:03 PM
    On the surface, I would agree that FaceID may have a better success rate, with emphasis on “may”. It will be interesting to see how it plays out after people have gotten their iPhone X devices.
    Agreed
    09-21-2017 06:10 PM
    Oh really?
    Touch ID on my 7 Plus always works.
    Yes, at best I have a 70% success rate.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    09-21-2017 06:11 PM
183 12345 ...