Auto brightness OFF still the brightness works automatically, How to overcome this?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If you have Auto-Brightness turned off in Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations that shouldn’t be happening. Are you sure the brightness is actually adjusting? Smartphone displays are naturally going to look dimmer in bright light. Try going into a dark room and turning the lights on and off. Are you seeing the display change?

quokapoki

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
If you have Auto-Brightness turned off in Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations that shouldn’t be happening. Are you sure the brightness is actually adjusting? Smartphone displays are naturally going to look dimmer in bright light. Try going into a dark room and turning the lights on and off. Are you seeing the display change?

They didn’t reply so I will, the same thing is happening to me and I definitely have auto brightness turned off. I’m sitting here in my living room with my brightness all the way up, my phone is not on low power mode or anything and it just randomly gets like 20% darker. During that time the top 40% of my brightness slider doesn’t do anything then a few minutes later it just suddenly gets bright again and the top part of my brightness slider actually works. And i swear my auto brightness is turned off.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
They didn’t reply so I will, the same thing is happening to me and I definitely have auto brightness turned off. I’m sitting here in my living room with my brightness all the way up, my phone is not on low power mode or anything and it just randomly gets like 20% darker. During that time the top 40% of my brightness slider doesn’t do anything then a few minutes later it just suddenly gets bright again and the top part of my brightness slider actually works. And i swear my auto brightness is turned off.

I grabbed my son’s iPhone 7, disabled auto-brightness and then raised the brightness level to its brightest setting. Afterwards, I went into dark closet. The brightness level remained at its brightest setting and did not adjust until after I re-enables the auto-brightness setting.

Having said that, either try rebooting the device, update the iOS version (if applicable) or reinstall iOS and then set it up as a new device.

quokapoki

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
I grabbed my son’s iPhone 7, disabled auto-brightness and then raised the brightness level to its brightest setting. Afterwards, I went into dark closet. The brightness level remained at its brightest setting and did not adjust until after I re-enables the auto-brightness setting.

Having said that, either try rebooting the device, update the iOS version (if applicable) or reinstall iOS and then set it up as a new device.

I have an iPhone 8 plus and I have actually done all of those things already but it still does it sometimes and I swear I’m not kidding. I feel like there is a weird setting somewhere or something that is making it happen because I don’t know what else the problem could be.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone 8 plus and I have actually done all of those things already but it still does it sometimes and I swear I’m not kidding. I feel like there is a weird setting somewhere or something that is making it happen because I don’t know what else the problem could be.

If it were me, I’d restore it and set it up as a new device to see if it resolves the problem. If it does then you can assume it was a glitch of some sort, but if it doesn’t then the problem could be sensor related or something.

quokapoki

Apr 19, 2019
Visit site
If it were me, I’d restore it and set it up as a new device to see if it resolves the problem. If it does then you can assume it was a glitch of some sort, but if it doesn’t then the problem could be sensor related or something.
Alright, i’ll try that at some point thanks

Francisca Cisneros

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
I believe you I have an 8plus and I know because I go live daily for my job, my auto brightness is off, my battery saver if off, my night shift and True Tone is off and still my phones brightness will go dimmer and become brighter on its own for some reason 🤦🏻*♀️😒

jeremy reid

Jul 9, 2020
Visit site
Same issue here. It’s the new iOS update, one of the last several updates changed something and now my phone auto changes brightness while I’m outside. And it dims usually for quite awhile and then re brightens randomly.
Auto brightness is off, brightness set to max, low power mode is off, and still it becomes difficult to see anything, randomly and more than once an hour and for quite awhile. Eventually it brightens and becomes useable again. I have tried everything in the forums, as well as this is a brand new replacement iPhone 7 from assurion insurance through Verizon. One of the recent iOS updates did it to my original iPhone 7 as well. And haha it just darkened as I type! Someone at Apple screwed this up and so far they aren’t acknowledging it’s a software issue which it is.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Before setting up as a new device, you might try Reset All Settings.

Go to Settings >General >Reset >Reset All Settings. This resets to default everything in Settings, including notifications, alerts, brightness, and clock settings like wake up alarms.

iHaveQuestions

Sep 29, 2020
Visit site
I notice these are older phones, this is not happening with my XS

It’s definitely not just older iPhones. I have an XS Max, as well as an iPad Pro, and I have the same issue with both devices. My brightness is all the way up, auto brightness and low power mode is off. My screen dims randomly, and returns to brightness just as randomly. I agree with a previous poster; there is a glitch somewhere, and/or someone at Apple screwed up!

kije

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
It’s definitely not just older iPhones. I have an XS Max, as well as an iPad Pro, and I have the same issue with both devices. My brightness is all the way up, auto brightness and low power mode is off. My screen dims randomly, and returns to brightness just as randomly. I agree with a previous poster; there is a glitch somewhere, and/or someone at Apple screwed up!

I got the same problem with my ipad pro since some days. The brightness has been significantly reduce for no reason, and it annoys me a lot as i'm using it a lot outside. I did a reboot, I deactivated the auto brightness, still, the problem remains. Like I lost let's say more or less 25/30% of the max brightness.
To explain the problem: It's like the ipad believes that my system is running hot, so it decides automatically to reduce the brightness (like the OS is trying to reduce the energy used or something like that). But when you check the manual setup brightness, brightness is at maximum. Meaning I got 100% brightness in the system, but with a low brightness... I usually play PUBG in outdoor condition, with no problem at all. But now I have to go indoor for playing if I wanna see perfectly the map :/

ThatGuytEMMIE

Nov 8, 2020
Visit site

It is the camera because if you put it in dark but everything else in light you can watch the brightness go down if you pull down the tool bar from the top of the screen if you are on a X or higher or from the bottom any iPhone that isnt above X

rfranklin1014

Mar 12, 2022
Visit site

Happens with my 12Pro Max EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! so annoying updated to iOS 15.3.1 and still happens

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
That would infuriate me ! I have an iPad gen5 and an XS and this does not happen to either.
I have always had auto brightness turned off, because a sensor knows nothing about the level of brightness I need to see the screen, I usually have brightness set at just over halfway. As a curiosity, I find that if I have the screen dimmed to max (listening at night) that the stream often goes into some sort of permanent pause mode. this does not happen with just a little screen brightness set.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I have iPhone 11. It does the same thing. I sent it to apple and they say there is nothing wrong but the problem persists

Hello Kendra,

Could it be possible that your iPhone is running hot? The phone will reduce brightness automatically to reduce the power usage, and by extension, the temperature.

mplsbruce2021

May 14, 2022
Visit site
same crap happening here with 2020 iPhone SE i’ve triple checked every single thing i’ve restarted, booted, updated, stood on left foot while touching my left nostrils. EVERYTHING it still adjusts itself