Prompt for iCloud Credentials When Trying to Update Apps

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
When my wife tries to update her apps on her iPhone 7, she is prompted to enter my iCloud password. A prompt shows on her screen showing my email and asking for my password. Everything else on her iPhone shows under her iCloud account email. It's only when it comes to her updating her apps.

The only correlation I can see my iCloud email having to her phone is where my credit card is used for the extra iCloud storage on her iPhone. But even so, it's her email address and password that is used. Its just billed to my card.

How can I help her fix this issue? Would login her completely out of iCloud on her iPhone and then login her back in fix this? Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
When my wife tries to update her apps on her iPhone 7, she is prompted to enter my iCloud password. A prompt shows on her screen showing my email and asking for my password. Everything else on her iPhone shows under her iCloud account email. It's only when it comes to her updating her apps.

The only correlation I can see my iCloud email having to her phone is where my credit card is used for the extra iCloud storage on her iPhone. But even so, it's her email address and password that is used. Its just billed to my card.

How can I help her fix this issue? Would login her completely out of iCloud on her iPhone and then login her back in fix this? Thanks.

Typically, stuff like that happens when you’ve installed an app on someone else’s device using your Apple ID and passcode. For example, an app or game that you paid for but wanted her to also have without having to pay for the app a second time.

JM19

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Typically, stuff like that happens when you’ve installed an app on someone else’s device using your Apple ID and passcode. For example, an app or game that you paid for but wanted her to also have without having to pay for the app a second time.

Thanks for the reply. I did some more digging and thinking of why this could be. What you mentioned was spot on. I used to back up her iPhone to our main computer via iTunes which has my iCloud login as the main account on the computer. Apps that I already had and also installed on her iPhone were being installed with my iCloud linked to it.

What I did was, I want to the App Store on her iPhone and instead of updating all apps, I updated one by one. The ones that were linked to my iCloud and would ask for my credentials, I deleted those apps and reinstalled with her iCloud login. This seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks so much for your feedback and help.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Just me D is right. My wife and I have been sharing my Apple ID for iTunes several years. She has her own iCloud ID for everything else. You fixed it correctly. We like sharing the same iTunes ID. We share the same purchased lists.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I did some more digging and thinking of why this could be. What you mentioned was spot on. I used to back up her iPhone to our main computer via iTunes which has my iCloud login as the main account on the computer. Apps that I already had and also installed on her iPhone were being installed with my iCloud linked to it.

What I did was, I want to the App Store on her iPhone and instead of updating all apps, I updated one by one. The ones that were linked to my iCloud and would ask for my credentials, I deleted those apps and reinstalled with her iCloud login. This seems to have fixed the issue.

Thanks so much for your feedback and help.

You’re very welcome...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh