Black Friday is almost here!

Get the inside track on all the best deals.

So for one full day I went to the Darkside, I needed a way to get the dash cam video off of the microSD card because our underground Parkade was broken into and several cars were vandalized. (I’m surprised they didn’t smash my glass to steal my dashcam) I tried buying an Apple SD to lightning adaptor And using dropbox and the VLC apps it simply wouldn’t work. ( so I returned it) Even the Apple tech guy at Bestbuy couldn’t get it going. So I bought a very cheap android tablet, a Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite. At least with this I was able to see the surveillance videos, with the apps mentioned above, but there was no way to save them and when I did email one it said file could not open. So I ended up returning the tablet.

The Apple tech concluded that because the dashcam shoots vids in AVI format and this dashcam is not able to be set to MP4 or MOV, it is basically meant to have the micro SD card put in a Microsoft computer to view the vids. I do have another cheaper SD to Lightning cable coming in from EBay and I will try again now that I know how dropbox and VLC work now, and it could be that because the Best Buy Wi-Fi was probably slow, and the guy didn’t wait long enough with one of the vids to upload as they are pretty large files in 1080 P. The dash cam shoots continuous loops and a new video every 3 minutes.

So I need to know are you able to use VLC or dropbox with AVI files from something like a camera or dash cam?
    03-06-2018 03:34 AM
    It’s been a while since I’ve used VLC, but any video app that can view .avi files should suffice. As for Dropbox, it’s merely cloud storage so as long as you can upload it to, you’re good to go.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    03-06-2018 07:15 AM
    It’s been a while since I’ve used VLC, but any video app that can view .avi files should suffice. As for Dropbox, it’s merely cloud storage so as long as you can upload it to, you’re good to go.
    Yeah I’ll definitely give it a try again when that new cable comes in. One thing I noticed about dropbox is I was able to at least email one of the dashcam vids as a test but I couldn’t open it. (Of course this was on the cheap android tablet).

VLC was better at viewing the vids but there were 6 vids that showed blank.

I even tried using my old Blackberry 9900 and I got the same problem as the iPhone, blank files showing, blank thumbnails and vids would not play (before VLC and Dropbox)

Are these still considered the best vid viewing apps for this or is there something better now?

03-06-2018 11:22 AM
    Card reader came today so I’ll be playing with this tonight

03-06-2018 03:02 PM
    Still can’t view any AVI videos from my dash cam even with using Dropbox so I’m thinking maybe there’s a file size limit for AVI on the iPad or iPhone so I’m going to drop it down from 1080 P on the dash cam to 720 and see what happens tomorrow
    03-06-2018 11:18 PM
    Still can’t view any AVI videos from my dash cam even with using Dropbox so I’m thinking maybe there’s a file size limit for AVI on the iPad or iPhone so I’m going to drop it down from 1080 P on the dash cam to 720 and see what happens tomorrow
    It would help if you provided more information, such as the make and model of your dash-cam. Also, avi is not a codec, but a container. The video inside the avi file may be a codec format that is not supported or is proprietary. Knowing the make and model of the dash-cam can help us determine the format of the video and its’ compatibility. Have you checked the Apple App Store for a companion dash-cam app? Many popular dash-cams have companion apps. That may help you export the video to a more compatible format.
    03-07-2018 07:40 PM
    It would help if you provided more information, such as the make and model of your dash-cam. Also, avi is not a codec, but a container. The video inside the avi file may be a codec format that is not supported or is proprietary. Knowing the make and model of the dash-cam can help us determine the format of the video and its’ compatibility. Have you checked the Apple App Store for a companion dash-cam app? Many popular dash-cams have companion apps. That may help you export the video to a more compatible format.
    It’s a cheap webcam that only shoots AVI (so you need a Microsoft computer) and I confirmed this today at the Apple store when asking the tech guy.

So NVM, I know someone who has an old Toshiba Satellite and it has my name on it.
    03-10-2018 10:16 PM
    It’s a cheap webcam that only shoots AVI (so you need a Microsoft computer) and I confirmed this today at the Apple store when asking the tech guy.

So NVM, I know someone who has an old Toshiba Satellite and it has my name on it.
    Your explanation still doesn’t help, though good luck with your quest.

https://fileinfo.com/extension/avi

https://fileinfo.com/help/playing_avi_files
    Last edited by scruffypig; 03-11-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    03-11-2018 11:28 AM
    Your explanation still doesn’t help, though good luck with your quest.

https://fileinfo.com/extension/avi

https://fileinfo.com/help/playing_avi_files
    You got everything you need, and now YOU are being counter-productive! You answer my post but give NO Information if AVI files can be used in an iOS device, THAT IS WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW, and that is all you need to know!

Since NO ONE has answered that they have successfully used AVI files/videos on Dropbox it tells me that the Apple tech guys were correct.

YOU are HUNG UP on minuscule TERMINOLOGY.

AVI AVI AVI.

YEAH, thanks a lot for all your amazing advice and “help”

Good day!
    03-11-2018 12:45 PM
    Good day!
    To answer your question, I successfully used VLC to play an AVI file as well as other video formats that were stored on Dropbox.

You should be able to use VLC for iOS to play any kind of video file.
    03-11-2018 12:57 PM
    To answer your question, I successfully used VLC to play an AVI file as well as other video formats that were stored on Dropbox.

You should be able to use VLC for iOS to play any kind of video file.
    I’d sure like to know HOW since 2 Apple tech guys couldn’t and said it can’t be done and remember I do not have a Microsoft computer to mod files.

On the Dropbox app I did rename the vids as some suggested on YouTube vids but no dice.

So again, it doesn’t help but thanks anyway
    03-11-2018 12:59 PM
    I’d sure like to know HOW since 2 Apple tech guys couldn’t and said it can’t be done and remember I do not have a Microsoft computer to mod files.

On the Dropbox app I did rename the vids as some suggested on YouTube vids but no dice.

So again, it doesn’t help but thanks anyway
    Simply open the files with VLC for iOS app on your iPhone.

I don’t understand what Microsoft computers have to do with anything as I don’t edit video files on any device.
    03-11-2018 01:02 PM
    Simply open the files with VLC for iOS app on your iPhone.

I don’t understand what Microsoft computers have to do with anything as I don’t edit video files on any device.
    I have done that 50,000 times, the AVI FILES show blank, nothing there and they should be THUMBNAILS.

When I had the android tablet I had no problem doing it.

The general consensus with the tech guys at Bestbuy and the Apple store seems to be iOS can’t do AVI.

So whatever.

I’m getting a Microsoft from a friend
    03-11-2018 01:08 PM
    I have done that 50,000 times, the AVI FILES show blank, nothing there and they should be THUMBNAILS.

When I had the android tablet I had no problem doing it.

The general consensus with the tech guys at Bestbuy and the Apple store seems to be iOS can’t do AVI.

So whatever.

I’m getting a Microsoft from a friend
    I beg to differ. I’m afraid that your dash cam uses some proprietary video format under the avi container.

I’m inclined to blame the dash cam rather than iOS in this specific case.
    03-11-2018 01:13 PM
    You got everything you need, and now YOU are being counter-productive! You answer my post but give NO Information if AVI files can be used in an iOS device, THAT IS WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW, and that is all you need to know!

Since NO ONE has answered that they have successfully used AVI files/videos on Dropbox it tells me that the Apple tech guys were correct.

YOU are HUNG UP on minuscule TERMINOLOGY.

AVI AVI AVI.

YEAH, thanks a lot for all your amazing advice and “help”

Good day!
    I use avi Files in iOS just fine, though it depends on how the avi files are encoded. This is true of any avi player on any platform. The links I included provide software applications for iOS and other platforms that will play avi files, though once again, it depends on how the avi file is encoded.

Once again, these links should help to understand avi files:

Last edited by scruffypig; 03-11-2018 at 07:05 PM.
    Tartarus likes this.
    03-11-2018 06:47 PM