iPhone 8 made it impossible for people to just enjoy the 7

kegantyler

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
2017 is the year of the “radical” redesigns of smartphones. (Spoiler: they’re still bar-shaped rectangles that fit in the average person’s pocket and can’t be easily repaired or upgraded.) Last year was the first year I got an iPhone. I’d always had androids before then. And I was so excited for the iPhone 7. To me it seemed like the best iteration of the most coveted tech device of the last decade. And I love the crap out of mine. It’s a fantastic phone.

But the iPhone 8/Anniversary/Edition/X was and is the big talk of the industry. Not even the 7s, which apparently no one realizes is supposed to be a thing, because the radically redesigned iPhone 8 is the only thing that matters.

Aside from Apple adding new tech like wireless charging and 3D facial recognition, the iPhone 8 is just going to be another new smartphone and nothing more.

Does anyone else feel the same, or am I just a Scrooge for the smartphone industry? I’m growing tired of reading stupid rumors and people just constantly focusing on what’s not even out yet. Newsflash, the iPhone 7 is great and it’s been available for 11 months!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

But the iPhone 8/Anniversary/Edition/X was and is the big talk of the industry. Not even the 7s, which apparently no one realizes is supposed to be a thing, because the radically redesigned iPhone 8 is the only thing that matters.

Aside from Apple adding new tech like wireless charging and 3D facial recognition, the iPhone 8 is just going to be another new smartphone and nothing more.

Those two comments contradict each other, don’t they?.....

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
There’s more to the iPhone 8 than wireless charging, 3D facial scanning, and a OLED screen. There’s going to be more, like AR, new dedicated chips, and who knows what else. As far as your initial question goes, most people are satisfied and enjoy their current iPhone. It’s really only those who follow tech news and rumors who really care about what’s coming up. Then if they aren’t satisfied with what they currently have, that’s on them. That’s the way I see it anyway.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It's like this every year with the rumors and everyone getting excited about what's to come. I know it's probably a bit more this year bc of the 10 year anniversary, but there are always rumors and tech geeks getting excited about the latest and greatest.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
"iPhone 8 made it impossible for people to just enjoy the 7"

If you're an enthusiast like many of us here, yeah, maybe. But not the average consumer. They don't really care.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
2017 is the year of the “radical” redesigns of smartphones. (Spoiler: they’re still bar-shaped rectangles that fit in the average person’s pocket and can’t be easily repaired or upgraded.) Last year was the first year I got an iPhone. I’d always had androids before then. And I was so excited for the iPhone 7. To me it seemed like the best iteration of the most coveted tech device of the last decade. And I love the crap out of mine. It’s a fantastic phone.

Does anyone else feel the same, or am I just a Scrooge for the smartphone industry? I’m growing tired of reading stupid rumors and people just constantly focusing on what’s not even out yet. Newsflash, the iPhone 7 is great and it’s been available for 11 months!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's called marketing. That's how these companies get so rich.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Three weeks after I got my iPhone 5, it seemed everyone on the forums upgraded to the iPhone 5s. I kinda felt left out. I mean, it had 64 bit, Touch ID, and a better camera. But that 5 served me well, until I upgraded to the 6s Plus. That's what I use now, and probably will another year.

blackmagicwoman

Trusted Member
Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I have upgraded every year since the 8330. Always had to have the latest and greatest until my 6S Plus. I didn’t even get to enjoy the 7. Yes I love my phone but I have learned to accept the fact that I can’t afford a new phone every year anymore. I choose to budget my funds differently as grow into my 60’s. But I enjoy reading about the new devices.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have upgraded every year since the 8330. Always had to have the latest and greatest until my 6S Plus. I didn’t even get to enjoy the 7. Yes I love my phone but I have learned to accept the fact that I can’t afford a new phone every year anymore. I choose to budget my funds differently as grow into my 60’s. But I enjoy reading about the new devices.

Can you imagine when we were 25 years old and someone handing us an iPhone 6s Plus, and showing it's features? I would've thought it a trick or joke. I'm still quite amazed with this technology and have no problem not upgrading each year.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Since this is your first iPhone, I understand your point. But this is nothing new. Rumors for NEXT years iPhone have already started. This is how it goes with the iPhone community online. I'd imagine we are all still enjoying our devices. But we will always look ahead.

RHChan84

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I'll wait until the iPhone 8 comes out before making and decisions. Even still, having all that doesn't mean much to me if I never use it.
AR is useless to me.

Facial recognition works alright but I never use it since I usually unlock my phone when I take it out of my pocket while bringing it up to viewing. Used it when I had android. Cool feature but not a game changer. Wireless charging won't work in my car or when I'm using it while on the charger. It has a purpose for those who has a desk job or just put it down and let it charge at night. That's not me.
The only thing I'm looking forward too is OLED and seeing what Apple's QC will handle it.

Nexus 6P, had 3 different ones and all 3 had different white balance. Burn in is an issue but I didn't have any issues with that.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'll wait until the iPhone 8 comes out before making and decisions. Even still, having all that doesn't mean much to me if I never use it.
AR is useless to me.

Facial recognition works alright but I never use it since I usually unlock my phone when I take it out of my pocket while bringing it up to viewing. Used it when I had android. Cool feature but not a game changer. Wireless charging won't work in my car or when I'm using it while on the charger. It has a purpose for those who has a desk job or just put it down and let it charge at night. That's not me.
The only thing I'm looking forward too is OLED and seeing what Apple's QC will handle it.

Nexus 6P, had 3 different ones and all 3 had different white balance. Burn in is an issue but I didn't have any issues with that.

Most of your reasoning is why I still use the 6s Plus. I have a couple of new reasons though. But they're more about iOS 11.

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
"iPhone 8 made it impossible for people to just enjoy the 7"

If you're an enthusiast like many of us here, yeah, maybe. But not the average consumer. They don't really care.

I pay attention and I'm passing on the iPhone 8. Glass phones are a bane to my existence. The day Apple gives us a curved display is the day I go back to a dumb phone.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm loving mine too. This will be about the first year I haven't upgraded in a long time. Feels kind of weird not thinking about buying the new iPhone.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm amazed that anyone lets rumors about upcoming tech make them feel a certain way about the tech already in their hands. Especially last-gen tech.

Exactly.
I can sorta see it if your upgrade cycle falls in between launches. But even then, just wait the bit of time to catch up. That's what I did WAAAAAY eons ago.

Last edited: