Restore a new iphone with itunes backup- does it work well?

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
I currently have a fully up to date iPhone 7. Probably going to get the 7s and wonder how well the restore from an iTunes backup works? Does the phone work well afterwards? Does anyone actually do this much or just start a new phone from scratch.

I assume all settings, apps and what else is restored? Will photo's be moved over? Health data is.

Thanks for your time.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello!
I usually do my backup via iCloud instead of iTunes. In doing so, everything is restored from settings, apps, contacts, etc... the iPhone performs smoothly just as how it's meant to be. I assume that an iTunes backup will do just the same. Hopefully someone who is knowledgable will respond to your question soon

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a fully up to date iPhone 7. Probably going to get the 7s and wonder how well the restore from an iTunes backup works? Does the phone work well afterwards? Does anyone actually do this much or just start a new phone from scratch.

I assume all settings, apps and what else is restored? Will photo's be moved over? Health data is.

Thanks for your time.

Yes it does.

linear2202

May 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. Seems like it should be fine. I guess if it doesn't go well I could just reset and set up as new anyway. Was just thinking I might try and avoid it this time.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Seems like it should be fine. I guess if it doesn't go well I could just reset and set up as new anyway. Was just thinking I might try and avoid it this time.

It'll be fine. Sometimes people tend to start their brand new iPhone as new simply for the experience and making things simpler. And to actually see which apps they actually need and don't need.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Unless the backup somehow becomes corrupted, it should restore without a problem to your new device.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Thanks for your time.

All that and even passwords so you don't have to log back in again. You can accomplish this with an encrypted iTunes backup. It'll have you create a password for that encrypted backup. It's my preferred backup method.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site

I will fire off a new phone from scratch and download apps singly as necessary forever more. The major and most consistent flaw in the Apple process is restoring prior phones, either through the cloud or iTunes. Some trouble with my Lady's upgrade from 6 Plus to 6S Plus - many apps would not load so I had to delete and bring them in individually anyway. Heard that song before. Begin anew.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your experience as well.

On behalf of the member you’re replying to, you’re very welcome. In the meantime, please use the quote option when replying so readers can to whom you’re replying. Thank you...

GolfnCPA

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
This is the only way I set up a new device and it has been flawless, especially with the feature to encrypt the backup and have your passwords restored as well. Never any issues.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Does backing up to icloud back up everything including all photos and videos done with iPhones built in camera?

In other words does backing up to icloud back up everything on the phone
just as it does when backing up to the computer using the encrypted back up option?

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Does backing up to icloud back up everything including all photos and videos done with iPhones built in camera?

In other words does backing up to icloud back up everything on the phone
just as it does when backing up to the computer using the encrypted back up option?

Short answer is yes.
Do check your iCloud settings and ensure that everything is turned on.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes the phone is being backed up to icloud now as I type this reply. Four hours left.

So when I set up the phone as new and restore from icloud back up the phone will look as it did as far as applications, settings sucbackground and lock screen background.

So this will be the exact same backup as the encrypted backup to the computer?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for your time.

Yes. I use it all the time and it works wonderfully well. It's never 100% though because every once in a great while the backup becomes corrupt and you have to start from scratch.

I use both iCloud backup and iTunes encrypted backup to my computers hard drive. For more information on what is and isn't backed up and about encrypted backups view this article from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR