I currently have a fully up to date iPhone 7. Probably going to get the 7s and wonder how well the restore from an iTunes backup works? Does the phone work well afterwards? Does anyone actually do this much or just start a new phone from scratch.

I assume all settings, apps and what else is restored? Will photo's be moved over? Health data is.

Thanks for your time.
    08-19-2017 07:17 PM
    Hello!
    I usually do my backup via iCloud instead of iTunes. In doing so, everything is restored from settings, apps, contacts, etc... the iPhone performs smoothly just as how it's meant to be. I assume that an iTunes backup will do just the same. Hopefully someone who is knowledgable will respond to your question soon
    08-19-2017 07:28 PM
    I currently have a fully up to date iPhone 7. Probably going to get the 7s and wonder how well the restore from an iTunes backup works? Does the phone work well afterwards? Does anyone actually do this much or just start a new phone from scratch.

I assume all settings, apps and what else is restored? Will photo's be moved over? Health data is.

Thanks for your time.
    Yes it does.
    TripleOne likes this.
    08-19-2017 08:52 PM
    Thanks. Seems like it should be fine. I guess if it doesn't go well I could just reset and set up as new anyway. Was just thinking I might try and avoid it this time.
    08-19-2017 11:14 PM
    Thanks. Seems like it should be fine. I guess if it doesn't go well I could just reset and set up as new anyway. Was just thinking I might try and avoid it this time.
    It'll be fine. Sometimes people tend to start their brand new iPhone as new simply for the experience and making things simpler. And to actually see which apps they actually need and don't need.
    08-20-2017 12:43 AM
    Unless the backup somehow becomes corrupted, it should restore without a problem to your new device.
    08-20-2017 12:29 PM

Thanks for your time.
    All that and even passwords so you don't have to log back in again. You can accomplish this with an encrypted iTunes backup. It'll have you create a password for that encrypted backup. It's my preferred backup method.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-21-2017 12:32 PM
    Excellent, thanks for the additional info.
    08-23-2017 12:33 AM
    Excellent, thanks for the additional info.
    You’re very welcome!
    08-23-2017 06:29 AM
    I will fire off a new phone from scratch and download apps singly as necessary forever more. The major and most consistent flaw in the Apple process is restoring prior phones, either through the cloud or iTunes. Some trouble with my Lady's upgrade from 6 Plus to 6S Plus - many apps would not load so I had to delete and bring them in individually anyway. Heard that song before. Begin anew.
    08-25-2017 08:11 PM
    Thanks for sharing your experience as well.
    08-26-2017 01:14 AM
    Thanks for sharing your experience as well.
    On behalf of the member you’re replying to, you’re very welcome. In the meantime, please use the quote option when replying so readers can to whom you’re replying. Thank you...
    08-26-2017 07:35 AM
    This is the only way I set up a new device and it has been flawless, especially with the feature to encrypt the backup and have your passwords restored as well. Never any issues.
    08-27-2017 07:30 AM
    Does backing up to icloud back up everything including all photos and videos done with iPhones built in camera?

In other words does backing up to icloud back up everything on the phone
    just as it does when backing up to the computer using the encrypted back up option?
    08-30-2017 09:45 PM
    Does backing up to icloud back up everything including all photos and videos done with iPhones built in camera?

In other words does backing up to icloud back up everything on the phone
    just as it does when backing up to the computer using the encrypted back up option?
    Short answer is yes.
    Do check your iCloud settings and ensure that everything is turned on.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-30-2017 11:56 PM
    Yes the phone is being backed up to icloud now as I type this reply. Four hours left.

So when I set up the phone as new and restore from icloud back up the phone will look as it did as far as applications, settings sucbackground and lock screen background.

So this will be the exact same backup as the encrypted backup to the computer?
    08-31-2017 12:35 AM

Thanks for your time.
    Yes. I use it all the time and it works wonderfully well. It's never 100% though because every once in a great while the backup becomes corrupt and you have to start from scratch.

I use both iCloud backup and iTunes encrypted backup to my computers hard drive. For more information on what is and isn't backed up and about encrypted backups view this article from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    08-31-2017 12:41 AM
    Yes I had read that before. I have music on the device that is from my computer not purchased from iTunes. Will that be backuped?
    08-31-2017 01:21 AM
    Yes I had read that before. I have music on the device that is from my computer not purchased from iTunes. Will that be backuped?
    Yes, an iTunes backup will Include “content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos....”

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136
    08-31-2017 07:13 AM
    The phone has been restored from icloud. Now all the applications are being updated. So far so good.
    Last edited by Honey Beagle; 08-31-2017 at 10:50 PM.
    08-31-2017 02:13 PM
    The phone has been restored from icloud. Now all tge applications are being updated. So far so good.
    It’s a very smooth process
    08-31-2017 06:15 PM
    Now at this hour some of the applications are still in waiting mode. 15 applications.

What is interesting I read that applications that are not available in the application store. That was wrong. I am referring to my first ever application that I paid for. Called WunderRadio.

Two questions. Does the phone have to be on in order to continue updating these 15 applications? Also since this from the icloud back up does the phone have to be connected to the internet up update these 15 applications.
    08-31-2017 10:55 PM
    The cloud backup did not help. I set the phone up as new itunes still thinks there is a password connected to some backup on the computer. I deleted the backup then chose to backup to the computer. Wish I new why a device that indicated by itunes has never been backed up to the computer has a password associated.
    09-01-2017 08:09 PM
    I always understood iCloud backups do not contain encrypted data such as health data. iTunes backups will contain encrypted data as it's via USB.
    TripleOne likes this.
    09-04-2017 07:44 AM
    I do prefer doing my backup via iCloud instead of iTunes.
    09-04-2017 05:30 PM
27 12