Joined the Dark Side (Random Questions)

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The day has come, another person has switched over to iPhone!

Purchased an iPhone 7 yesterday. Dont know what got into me. Maybe I was just getting tired of Androi, who knows. With the recent purchase of a MacBook, I figured I would give the Apple ecosystem another shot.

I can honestly say its no where near as bad as it used to be and I am actually enjoying the iPhone!

Anyways, there are a couple things that I have been trying to figure out, and I figured I would post them here as time goes on.

Is there anyway to get haptic feedback (vibration) while typing? I am coming from the BlackBerry KEYone, and having at least some kind of response while typing is key!

How am I able to see my screen on time?

Is there a way to still get notifications to pop up on screen when my device is locked, but not show any of the personal information, so it just shows that its an iMessage or Instagram kind of thing?

TIA!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
The day has come, another person has switched over to iPhone!

Purchased an iPhone 7 yesterday. Dont know what got into me. Maybe I was just getting tired of Androi, who knows. With the recent purchase of a MacBook, I figured I would give the Apple ecosystem another shot.

I can honestly say its no where near as bad as it used to be and I am actually enjoying the iPhone!

Anyways, there are a couple things that I have been trying to figure out, and I figured I would post them here as time goes on.

Is there anyway to get haptic feedback (vibration) while typing? I am coming from the BlackBerry KEYone, and having at least some kind of response while typing is key!

How am I able to see my screen on time?

Is there a way to still get notifications to pop up on screen when my device is locked, but not show any of the personal information, so it just shows that its an iMessage or Instagram kind of thing?

TIA!

No haptics on the keyboard unfortunately, but you can turn key click sounds on.

I don’t think there’s a way to screen on time by itself, but you can see the amount of time apps have been used with the screen on, under Settings>Battery and clicking the clock icon.

Unfortunately not, it’s either the full notification or no notification.

rumpelst

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
As for on screen time you need to go to settings/battery and at the there is a list off app using battery. On the riht at the beginning of this list you have clock symbol, check it ant the two last position of the list will be screen on time and total time after last full charge.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Right on, thanks. Not deal breakers or anything. Just stuff to get used to.
Typing on the iPhone isn't that bad. I tried an iPhone 4 way back when, and just couldn't type at all on that.

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
You can absolutely get notifications on lock screen without showing details.

Settings ➡️ Notifications ➡️ App of choice

Example: if you go to messages, scroll down and it will let you choose whether or not to show a preview of the message

5f65aa5ff6889bb320e742a6b7b85203.png

wilber1

Trusted Member
May 13, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to iMore vp as a former BlackBerry user I switched about 2 years ago I never liked Android and BlackBerry's lack of support with the constant updates and smooth operating system I am sure you will never look back you will get used to the typing without PKB, enjoy the site and your iPhone and post often .

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore vp as a former BlackBerry user I switched about 2 years ago I never liked Android and BlackBerry's lack of support with the constant updates and smooth operating system I am sure you will never look back you will get used to the typing without PKB, enjoy the site and your iPhone and post often .

The updates is a bit factor for me here as well. Reading on these forums how people are still using devices from a few years ago on a current OS is awesome. With Android you are lucky if your device gets the updates a year after. Near impossible after two. Especially the tablets.

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Why did you switch from the KEYone? I am thinking of picking one up.

Well without turning my post into a b*tch session about the Keyone, I will keep it simple.
It just didn't turn out to be the device I was expecting it to be.
The only good thing BlackBerry on it was the keyboard. Everything else was a cheap TCL device.
It just wasn't a strong device in the end. And I was on my third one, so I gave it plenty of opportunities.

But to each their own....There are plenty of people out their enjoying the Keyone. But just take all those hype CrackBerry reviews with a grain of salt....

vpblaze

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
You can absolutely get notifications on lock screen without showing details.

Settings ➡️ Notifications ➡️ App of choice

Example: if you go to messages, scroll down and it will let you choose whether or not to show a preview of the message
]

Well I went through and adjusted the apps that I didn't want to show any information when locked, unfortunately though, it seems WhatsApp was not an option.
Out of all the apps I have installed, that was the only one that didn't show up in the list of apps. Is that normal? Kind of a bummer since I suspect that's the app I am going to be doing most of my messaging through.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox