Average lifespan of an iPhone

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
For me, on any iPhone I've owned, I've typically been able to use it up until iOS is no longer compatible on the phone. As an example, I'm still rocking an iPhone 6 Plus over here with no issues, and don't anticipate having to give it up any time soon.

My wife on the other hand has a 5C, and while she still uses it, experiences some issues from time to time (not enough storage, slow performance etc).

What has your experience been re lifespan of device? And how would you rate it compared to top Android phones on the market the last few years?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I actually had my Gold iPhone 5s for 22 months. She was running just as good as the first day out of the box when I decided to upgrade. That was by far the longest I had kept any previous device (smartphone or dumbphone). My shortest tenure with a device was both the Samsung SG3 and Note3, I kept each approx 3 months before I couldn't take it anymore regardless of how nice the customization was the overall performance was a disappointment.
Now I'm on the Verizon yearly iPhone upgrade program, so I will probably never get to know how long my iPhones would last ...LOL

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My sister is still using her iPhone 4! I have been nagging her to upgrade, but she has been content to stay with her 4. However, she did admit that a change is due soon, because her 4 has started to misbehave!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The lifespan of an iPhone for "me" is typically one year. Then again, I typically pass my iPhone down to one of my kids and they will typically keep it for an additional year or two, albeit it all scratched up and crap. It blows my mind that when they get one of my iPhones, it still looks brand new and within weeks, I barely recognize it. #smh

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
A lot of factors go in to how long an iPhone lasts. The battery generally lasts about 2 years with heavy use. But can go much farther with light use. I have a 4 year old iPhone 5 that still works great on iOS 10.3.1. But needs a battery.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I usually get a new iPhone each year. Not because my device won't last longer...rather I won't last longer lol.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
My iPhone 4 went three years before I sold it, and as far as I know worked perfectly fine for at least a year for the buyer. My iPhone 5S is going on 4 years old, and still functions fine.

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
My first iPhone was the 4S, which I owned from December 2011 to March 2013. Then I had the iPhone 5 from March 2013 to November 2013. After that I had the iPhone 5s from November 2013 to October 2015. Then I had the iPhone 6s from October 2015 to September 2016. Now I have the iPhone 7 since September 2016. I'm debating whether or not to buy the 9.7" iPad Pro in a few days. If I do then I won't upgrade my phone until the fall of 2018. At that point I'll either stay on AT&T or switch to T-Mobile.

The only iPhones that I've owned that have had serious flaws over time have been the 5s (battery dropped super quickly) and the 6s (random battery dropping like 5s). My other iPhones I could've used for many years if I'd wanted to.

In theory I could keep the 7 I have until 2020 but the latest I'll upgrade will be in the fall of 2018.

In the end it depends on how much you use your phone and how great shape it's in. I keep my devices in like new condition with only a few scratches here and there.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
This is one of the many reasons I love Apple iPhones, they are able to last us quite a few years longer than our contracts (if needed). A friend of mine still uses her iPhone 5. It is getting a little slow admittedly but still working fine. So I would say the tipping point is around 4 years and then it's time to upgrade. 😃

Comparing it to the top Android devices, would be hard to say since I've never owned a Galaxy S5, S6 or a Google Nexus 5x ect. I would think it's definitely less though. 😃 I think what really makes us upgrade is because of the battery. Everything wears out eventually and if we were able to replace the batteries in our iPhones, then we could keep them for much longer.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
My iPhone 4 is still running, it's kept charged in case I ever need it as a back up. In everyday use are my 4s and my gen 3 iPad. both of which I purchased 2nd hand from an IT professional, so had had a lot of use. The 4s had a new battery last year, it was ok ish but as it's easy I thought I would. And it seems as good as new now. My iPad's battery is getting a bit old now but it only gets used at home, so is always near a charger. If you are someone who does not play games on a phone or use a camera too much, these phones last for a phenomenal length of time. I will not upgrade my Apple equipment until it is no longer useable in the ways that I do.

akutch34

Trusted Member
Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
My iPhones have almost always exceeded the lifespan of my Samsung devices. I had a 4s that lasted up until it was no longer sent iOS updates. Even then it still worked fine, just felt outdated and ready for an upgrade. My Samsung devices always seemed to last just over a year... all of a sudden I would start getting huge lag or a ton of force closing. Very annoying. If it wasn't a software issue then it was the micro USB port getting lose and failing to charge.

I'm definitely much happier with the build and longevity of my iPhones.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I used my first iPhone, the iPhone 4, for almost a year and a half before I started getting the urge to switch to Windows Phone (which I did). I swapped phones quite a lot from 2011 until September 2015, when I got my iPhone 6s. I've also gotten many, many phones since 2011 (including one Android because I suddenly got curious about that OS). I also got an iPhone SE and 7 in February and earlier this month, respectively. However, at the end of the day, it seems that my very favorite is my iPhone 6s. I'm still using it instead of swapping my SIM out to the iPhone 7. At some point, I'll make the switch, especially since there's loads more storage in the 7 (the 6s has only 64GB, the 7 is 256GB). I'm pretty sure I could happily continue using my 6s for another year or more, though.

Ricktye

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
It's not the iPhone that is the problem. They'll last pretty much forever. However to maintain their revenue stream, Apple ensures a software life of the iPhone.

lemony0

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
I usually start getting bored within 12 months then give them away to close family members but we still have a 4G that's alive and kicking. The only issue I've had with iPhone's are battery issues after 2+ years but you can't expect them to last forever anyway. The hardware is so well made I bet they last longer than any Androids.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I am still rocking a 6S. As long as it stays snappy I won't get rid of it. I usually update the software for a year or two and then stop. After that is when I notice a significant slow down. So needless to say I won't be updating to the iOS11 on this.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
One year for me since I upgrade every year. I've known people who have used their devices for 4 years.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I am still rocking a 6S. As long as it stays snappy I won't get rid of it. I usually update the software for a year or two and then stop. After that is when I notice a significant slow down. So needless to say I won't be updating to the iOS11 on this.

Keep in mind the newer iPhones have a more powerful and faster processor along with more RAM as opposed to phones below the 6s. The 6s should handle iOS 11 ok. Try it for 24 hours, if you don't like it, drop back to what you're on.
My old iPhone 5 does pretty good on iOS 10.3.1. A bit sluggish at times, but performs ok. It just needs a new battery.

SparklyPickle

May 24, 2017
Visit site
My niece has a 4S. It runs iOS 9.3.5 pretty good! It got supported for a while!

"My" Galaxy S7 will get Android O then that's it, I better forget about updates.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner