Matte Black Owners - how's the finish holding up?

Tobyn Ryell

May 12, 2017
Visit site
When you say small dots, do you mean small nicks or do you mean it looks like it has the pattern from the inside of the case? I ask because my UAG case leaves a pattern on the back of my 7 Plus, but I wipe it with a damp cloth and it's as good as new.

No it's almost like lots of little water marks on the finish which I don't understand because anytime I've got it wet I've dried it immediately. And the case does leave lines on the phone but they wipe off. It's just the little marks don't come off I've tried everything to get them off

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
No it's almost like lots of little water marks on the finish which I don't understand because anytime I've got it wet I've dried it immediately. And the case does leave lines on the phone but they wipe off. It's just the little marks don't come off I've tried everything to get them off

That's strange considering the phone shouldn't be negatively effected by a cases interior. It's almost as if the case fits too tightly and engraved into the matte finish which would surely annoy me.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
That's strange considering the phone shouldn't be negatively effected by a cases interior. It's almost as if the case fits too tightly and engraved into the matte finish which would surely annoy me.

My cases all leave a pattern but it wipes off with a damp cloth. It shouldn't leave anything permanent.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
My cases all leave a pattern but it wipes off with a damp cloth. It shouldn't leave anything permanent.

I get that. If I lay my phone on my Speck Candyshell Grips back side, the rubber leaves a mark immediately (probably from skin oil left on it) but it wipes right off. I don't get marks when it's in my case since it's a smooth rubber.

DevinNJ

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
My wife and I have got our MB 7 plus phones at Christmas time and they're fine. No signs of wear at all. I constantly change cases on mine and wipe it with a damp microfiber cloth when I do. My wife's phone is in the same case but I have issues I guess, because I find myself talking hers out of the case and cleaning it every other week or so too.

eric_bb

May 29, 2017
Visit site
My matte black iPhone 7's mute switch and power button has chipped finish, but is barely noticeable.

Those with matte black iPhones should probably avoid using Tech 21 evo mesh cases. Those have screen mesh pattern that leave marks on the back of the phone which takes a long time to disappear. Repeatedly wiping it off with a damp cloth did nothing. Using the phone naked for several days got rid of the marks.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like most people are using cases, and things are holding up well. I am pretty careful with my devices, but I too always use a case, just makes things better/easier when it is time to sell/trade, and with kids you never know what might happen if they see a phone laying there...

HBogard

Jun 1, 2017
Visit site
Thank god, i got the matte black version, i have seen how my friends jet black have lasted, my phone still looks like brand new just some finger print smudges on the screen makes it look dirty.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
The secondhand MB 7 I got has some lines where the case surrounded the camera. You can't feel anything there, but you can see a faint line. Also around the charging port there is some wear/scratches. It was always in the case, but appears the case may have actually damaged the finish a little. Again with a case on you can't see it, but it is there.