Matte Black Owners - how's the finish holding up?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
For all the matte black owners out there... is the finish holding up nicely on your phone? I don't have one, but have wondered how that finish would hold over time...

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for a little over 6 months and the phone looks brand new. I keep a case on it when I'm out of the house or office, but there hasn't been any wear from taking them off and on. I'm very happy with my color choice.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

Tell me about it. Then I compounded the mistake by having someone other than Apple replace the screen. I hate the replacement screen. Was thinking about buying something else then I got an email from Samsung saying they are giving me a galaxy s8 to try for a year then I get to keep it. Will be my first android in 5 years.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site

Tell me about it. Then I compounded the mistake by having someone other than Apple replace the screen. I hate the replacement screen. Was thinking about buying something else then I got an email from Samsung saying they are giving me a galaxy s8 to try for a year then I get to keep it. Will be my first android in 5 years.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site

There is a very reputable iPhone repair guy by me and he won't work in the 7's. He said between the cost of the screen and the level of difficulty, it's not worth it for him or the customer. He sends everyone to the Apple Store. He's an honest guy though. Most places will just take the money and don't care.

Good luck with the S8. It sure is a beautiful phone.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Holding up wonderfully. That's one area that still looks brand new. The screen though? That's another story entirely....

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Was thinking about buying something else then I got an email from Samsung saying they are giving me a galaxy s8 to try for a year then I get to keep it. Will be my first android in 5 years.

I WAS OFFERED THAT DEAL! It was prelim, and I hadn't yet been selected, but I was wondering about putting the 7 back in the box for a year. Love the iPhone, but it's hard to turn down an $800+ handheld free.

I guess I want picked, huh?

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
No scratches here, but I'm wondering about the meticulous selection of any color phone. Rarely is this one out of its silky midnight blue case.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
There is a very reputable iPhone repair guy by me and he won't work in the 7's. He said between the cost of the screen and the level of difficulty, it's not worth it for him or the customer. He sends everyone to the Apple Store. He's an honest guy though. Most places will just take the money and don't care.

Good luck with the S8. It sure is a beautiful phone.

The guy did a good job and it didn't take him long, but he didn't disclose some facts to me. So I figure I will use the s8 put the ip7 in the box and trade it in when the new iPhone comes out later this year. You know absence makes the heart grow fonder.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I WAS OFFERED THAT DEAL! It was prelim, and I hadn't yet been selected, but I was wondering about putting the 7 back in the box for a year. Love the iPhone, but it's hard to turn down an $800+ handheld free.

I guess I want picked, huh?

Yea, I did my best to sound like a consumer who buys all the new electronics when they come out, while filling out the survey for the program. Guess it worked, either way I am gonna give it a shot. Came with the free VR headset too.

Anastayja1

Trusted Member
Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
The color on my matte black is holding up well. No scratches, chips or other blemishes. Phone is always kept in a case. Switched to an S8+ a week ago so my iPhone will still be in perfect condition when I pick it up again.

knotsure

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed some small spots from dirt or whatever rubbing on the finish around the edges where the case touch the phone on the matte finish after leaving it in the case for a while.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPhone 7 Plus looks as good as it did when I bought up and the matte black finish is holding up quite well.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I'll be able to answer this question by this weekend since I just bought a matte black iPhone 7 on eBay this past Saturday. The phone is used, but from the pics, it looked to be in great condition!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I got mine in September, rarely use a case, and she still looks flawless. I take care of my stuff though.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Had my Plus since November 5th and my finish is still flawless. The only thing I'm concerned about it that I put the metal plate on the back for the Spigen magnetic case. I'm sure it's gonna be a problem if I try to take that off.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner